Wanikani in other languages

+1 to number 2. That’s been my idea for a long time. Exactly that, public mnemonics and you can filter by language. And here I was thinking you guys hadn’t thought of that yet…

1 Like

I’m not planning to use WaniKani in about two years any more (as I hope then to have burned all items on WK), so for me koichi’s answer reads something like this:

All the rest in between I totally understand – I don’t want to be disrespectful, so please don’t misunderstand. I just want to point out that there could be many other steps made towards making WaniKani more accessible for non-native English speakers within a short period of time. No “at some point” or “won’t be any time soon” required – my suggestion is only an example, I’m sure you guys could even come up with something more useful after doing some research on what the biggest drawbacks are for non-natives. For me it clearly is that I don’t understand all words so I have to regularly look them up and especially look them up over and over again each time they appear until I have learned them. That lead to my suggestion from above.

The only problem I see with my “smallish” suggestion from an economical perspective is: It’s unlikely such a feature would widen the user base a lot as people already use WaniKani (due to lack of an alternative in their native language) even if they don’t understand everything. So this is more of a suggestion to improve the user experience for non-natives rather than to widen the user base.

Well, what we could do is start a thread for WK language questions. Over time, it would form a FAQ of sorts about explanations non-native English speakers may refer to when they find a strange expression they don’t understand and when the dictionary/google translate proves unhelpful.

For example, my first language is French, but I am almost fully bilingual, so I could explain some more obscure expressions/words in French and put them into context.

1 Like

That would tackle yet another problem, but it would be useful for some people for sure. Others struggle with their English vocabulary in general, for those the built-in dictionary suggested above might be useful. And for others again other things may help. So, there’s a lot of things that could be done without introducing a full-fledged community mnemonics system.

I think the difficulty lies largely in the fact that many of the mnemonics reference U.S. and Japanese culture to an extent where, even as a native U.S. resident, I find myself scratching my head at them.

1 Like

The God Has Spoken. Let us pray for MultiLingualWaniKani and the FutureKoichi :pray:

All you need is time machine now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.