Wanikani for olds

goodness, I’m 59 in two weeks and feel very old now…
going really slow, but enjoying myself. In the past five years I have been to Japan four times (yes, on my own, yes, fat old woman in Japan) and substantial progress has been made. but kanji is a means and not a goal…と思います
(btw I reset twice, no problem, it’s not the olympics)

20 Likes

I’m 42.
Wife, 4yr old and twin 1yr olds. Been on level 10 for 258 days. :flushed:
A lot of days lately where I don’t do reviews or I’ll do very few. Thinking to reset to a lower level. I’ll get there eventually too.
Good luck to you all.

12 Likes

Consider aiming higher in JLPT levels - level 5 requires very low proficiency. I know it feels like you’re lagging behind the others, but 30 minutes a day is a good investment.

Remember that SRS is more about logging in at regular intervals than raw time spent. I will probably pass you as well, but I have a schedule that allows me to log in 3+ times a day. That means I hit guru on radicals and kanji asap and level every week even without a fast level. It doesn’t really mean I’m learning faster than you. You are still spending more time studying than me, and I think you will have more to show for it.

You don’t have to start at the bottom, and I imagine JLPT5 will put you to sleep. Especially if you’ve been at it for 4 years

As much time as you spend studying, I would like to think that level 3 would be doable by December. You might not ace it, but I bet that you’d have a good shot at passing.

2 Likes

Just a small correction, the OP has been studying for 4 years. I’ve only been studying for 6 months (wanikani for about 4 months).

But you’ve given me something to think about. My iTalki 先生 gives me japanese audio clips to transcribe as homework. I think they are JLPT practice clips. It’s a short conversation followed by a question. If I listen to the clips once straight through I can mostly guess the answer (though not always) though I never understand every word. Then I go back and repeat them a bunch of times as I get the transcription right for every word. I assume those are JLPT 5 level clips. I feel like by December those would be no problem for me.

I think registration opens in August. Before that I’ll dig up some Level 4 practice tests and see how I do. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

As long as you don’t stop you’re doing perfect :wink: 頑張って!

1 Like

Never too old to do something you want to do! (Early 50’s here :wink:) You have great determination and tenacity to smash that amount of reviews that many times, awesome stuff! Are you getting somewhere? Absolutely! I knew I wasn’t going to be a fast leveller, needed to balance life, work and WK. Will I finish, I hope so in a few years. Pop your vacation mode on if life needs to take front & centre, it’ll stop those reviews from blowing out.

Check out a couple of the slow lanes here if you want a bit of a boost along. You got this! :muscle:

4 Likes

It’s all about finding whatever your sustainable pace is. If it’s getting overwhelming, or if you burned out before doing it a certain way… it’s worth thinking about adjusting that workload.

3 Likes

Still more consistent than my gym schedule! Good job :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m on …whatever level, and definitely it’s hard to read NHK News Web Easy. Extremely hard. I’m going to come back at that at level 25 – I think things start rolling a bit better once one has enough kanji under the belt, but definitely not before somewhere between 20 and 30. And I’m the same with listening comprehension speed – it’s slow going for sure and that’s natural. That’s so great you’re doing iTalki!

Thank you for the good wishes! I wish you the best of luck as well! And endurance. :blush:

P.S. Hey, check this out – thanks to @FireFairy:

So that’s encouraging! Stick with it – I’m doing 5 lessons per day now, but at my “full speed” capacity I was doing 10-15 lessons per day. Going slow is good.

1 Like

ただいまヒートマプを準備したところです。

I went on holiday in March 2018 and then again in September that was a rough year digging out of all those reviews !! Started a new Japanese class in August 2019 and that caused another 0 lesson streak. Who cares about speed. Also, if I get surprised by a vocab burn attempt with kanji I don’t recall, I frequently ‘resurrect’ the kanji to re-learn.

9 Likes

Hey,

Congratulations on reaching level 60. But, where did you download this heatmap? It’s what I have been looking for, as it shows time in hours and minutes. Please post a link so I can get the heatmap too. thanks

1 Like

I want to make a chart that compares everyone’s slowest level because I’m curious.
Should I make this a seperate thread?

Mine is 92 days
Add yourself

|username| slowest level |time|
|nemuitanuki|level 17|92 days|
|Maulrus|Level 2|203 days|

To the thread

3 Likes

This is far more inspirational than the “finished WK in a year” threads. The resilience to pick oneself back up repeatedly is admirable.

Good luck to you!

8 Likes

Make a separate thread for this…

2 Likes

that would be Kumirei’s WaniKani Heatmap ^^

4 Likes

Wow, I didn’t expect this kind of response at all. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I have two years of college study under my belt but I have forgotten a lot because of misuse. I started a new job about a month ago now and I get off work earlier than before so I’ve been trying to establish a new routine. Once I get my queue under control and get lessons going again, I’m going to get back into Tobira I think. I’ve been saying that for a while now…hahaha

6 Likes

Another oldish here. 38. Been “studying” 5 or 6 years. I might be able to pass the N5.
Lately hovering around 55% on WaniKani.

5 Likes

Thank you so much. I have been searching for this for a long time. Need to prove my study time to my employers and this heatmap allows me to do it.

2 Likes

The time will pass regardless, so I’m going to use some of it to learn kanji and vocab. I’m in my 40s and I’ve got a little baby. It’s not easy, but at least having Tsurukame on the phone is helpful. That means I can sneak in a couple of reviews here and there, and it’s also really helpful because I sometimes need to work quickly and I make typos and all. I’ve maintained a decent pace to average about 10 days per level starting properly in January after deciding on the lifetime sub at a discount.

3 Likes

I am with you in the same boat. 41 and employees with a kid. But we go on anyway! Kudos to you!

2 Likes