WaniKani for iOS

Thanks everyone for checking it out!

venetiansnares said…I just downloaded the app; this is really cool. This has probably been suggested before but it’d be awesome to see this integrated into the app in the future.
I’m in the planning stages for a detailed display of progress info for version 1.2, which should hopefully include some graph data.

Lin said…Okay, I need help re the API key!
It says if I press that button I have to get a new one and I don’t know what the heck it is in the first place! Or how to do that or if I ever had one.
Just by having an account you have an API key automatically, there’s never a need to regenerate a new one unless you wish to revoke access to all the 3rd party apps you’ve used. Just copy and paste the 32 characters into to the app and you’ll be good to go. You can find your key by scrolling down a bit on this page. It’s also available on your profile but you might have trouble copying from that field on iPhone.

Daikonran said…I know this is still in its very basic form, but after using it on my iPad for a bit, I didnt see too much of a difference from using it through the browser. The keyboard still drops down after each review item. It also kept on asking me to log into WK even after I put in my api key in the beginning. 

Still really appreciate the work thats been put into this. I am looking forward to the awesomeness I know it will become
Thanks for the feedback Daikonran. The main purpose of the app is to give you easy access to reviews on your home screen, get notifications of when it’s review time, etc. Reviews must be done through a web view there’s no way around that, so there are some significant limitations to how I can customize the experience when reviewing. The biggest differences are actually seen on iPhone, where it prevents autoscrolling from hiding the review item and autofocuses the keyboard.

Even on iPad though I think if you compare doing reviews in browser vs in the app I think you’ll see the subtle differences add up, especially once 1.1 is approved by Apple. But as you say, I plan to improve it further so I’ll keep all that in mind.

Also, giving me your API key doesn’t allow me to log in for you (which, if you think about it, is a very good thing), though autofilling your username is on my todo for 1.2.

Yay! I think my favorite thing is that the notifications work with my Pebble watch :slight_smile:

Ooh fun, a Pebble! I haven’t seen one yet. Just if you happen to get a picture of receiving a WK notification on it, you should definitely share :)

Also, a quick preview of what’s coming in 1.2:

(click for full size)

There’s a bunch more data included, with leveling rates, completion date estimates, and a graph of your full level history. If there’s a particular metric you’d like to see included, let me know. I’ve also been fulfilling as many of your requests as possible; there’s a full list of what is coming in the next version that I keep up-to-date in the OP.

Just upgraded to the newest version… getting a lot of crashes - especially on the second view - I think the app is crashing when trying to load my data such as level started, etc.

Hey phaser, you should email me directly regarding beta builds to be sure I see the report. There’s a bunch of new stuff in the latest build which I cannot test completely with just my one account, so I’ll need the reports from you guys to fix them ahead of the public release. Thanks!

Version 1.1 has just arrived. I’m afraid the issue with the “Review Time!” button persists; so far, I haven’t been able to start the reviews; the button won’t register touches. This is on a retina iPad, iOS 6.

The push notifications are killer, kiko.

1.1. is going great; thanks so much!
Only thing is I’ve had to enter my api key more than once which is a bit of a pain

waldrumpus said... Version 1.1 has just arrived. I'm afraid the issue with the "Review Time!" button persists; so far, I haven't been able to start the reviews; the button won't register touches. This is on a retina iPad, iOS 6.
 Sorry about that wald. I can't reproduce this in the simulator, and I don't have a retina iPad to test it on. It's using a default button object so I don't know why it wouldn't work. Are all buttons unresponsive or is it just that one? I'll try removing and remaking it for 1.3.

rnikko said...The push notifications are killer, kiko. 
Glad you're finding them useful!

paperbagchild said... 1.1. is going great; thanks so much!
Only thing is I've had to enter my api key more than once which is a bit of a pain
Thanks for the report - this bug is fixed for the next version. In the mean time you should be able to get around having to reenter your API key by closing and relaunching the app when you're connected to the internet. 

Patiently waiting for 1.2 and iOS 5 support (I can’t update without losing all my little tweaks and customizations made possible by jailbreak).
Btw, is this strictly for reviews, or does the app access the whole wanikani site (lessons, level progression, radical/kanji/vocab lists, community threads/news)?

nelemnaru said... Patiently waiting for 1.2 and iOS 5 support (I can't update without losing all my little tweaks and customizations made possible by jailbreak).
Btw, is this strictly for reviews, or does the app access the whole wanikani site (lessons, level progression, radical/kanji/vocab lists, community threads/news)?
There's a jailbreak for 6.1, though I don't know if it works with the latest point release now. I'm still submitting updates the same day Apple approves the current version (i.e. as fast as I can), so 1.2 is waiting for approval, and should be through by the end of the week. Sorry the OP wasn't updated properly; honestly I try to edit it as little as possible to avoid bumping the thread unnecessarily.

The app's primary functions are push notifications, the custom reviews browser, and (new in 1.2) progress stats+graph, which you can see from this iPad screenshot from the previous page. I'm open to any feature requests or tweaks you guys have in mind too.

Any word from Time? cuz an android version would be hella awesome!

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but it would be good if when you get an answer wrong in lessons if you could click the button thing that shows you what the correct answer is. At the moment pushing does nothing.

Sorry for the delay on 1.2… Got rather unlucky and had an annoying reviewer reject the update for reasons already clarified when I submitted the initial version. Made some token changes and resubmitted, which ought to prevent that from being an issue again. Though now we have to wait another week, fingers crossed.

Tilley-kun said…Any word from Time? cuz an android version would be hella awesome!
No progress to report on the Android front yet, sorry. It would definitely be great to an Android version out, but I can’t provide a timeframe.

paperbagchild said…I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but it would be good if when you get an answer wrong in lessons if you could click the button thing that shows you what the correct answer is. At the moment pushing does nothing.
Thanks for the report. I just took a look at this and it appears to be that WaniKani is returning an http error when loading the help page, canceling the new frame within the webview. I’ll see if I can figure out why that’s happening exactly, but it may be out of my control.

For some reason my review button stopped working while it was working for my last review an hour ago. Clicking on time doesn’t display the useful date of the next review anymore. Both refresh and settings button are working fine. I tried stopping the app from the bottom menu and then relaunching it, still doesn’t work.

Also (but it has been magically solved one day for an unknown reason) up until yesterday I couldn’t simply use the app. Everything was working fine and I was up to the review screen, but when I entered the meaning/reading and pushed enter, it was constantly “thinking” with that orange-ish screen but never validated or invalidated the answer, always asking to reload (so I was unable to do any review). It lasted for about the last 2 weeks (I was regularly checking if it worked) and yesterday I found that it was finally working, even though I didn’t change anything in settings/API key/Wifi config/anything else. 

I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6.1.2 and it is totally unmodified (no jailbreak or any sort of external modification, 100% Apple config).

Thanks

Well in fact I found out where the problem is: when the iPad is in landscape the review button doesn’t function, while in portrait it works just fine.

kiko said... Sorry for the delay on 1.2... Got rather unlucky and had an annoying reviewer reject the update for reasons already clarified when I submitted the initial version. Made some token changes and resubmitted, which ought to prevent that from being an issue again. Though now we have to wait another week, fingers crossed.

Tilley-kun said...Any word from Time? cuz an android version would be hella awesome!
No progress to report on the Android front yet, sorry. It would definitely be great to an Android version out, but I can't provide a timeframe.

paperbagchild said...I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it would be good if when you get an answer wrong in lessons if you could click the button thing that shows you what the correct answer is. At the moment pushing does nothing.
Thanks for the report. I just took a look at this and it appears to be that WaniKani is returning an http error when loading the help page, canceling the new frame within the webview. I'll see if I can figure out why that's happening exactly, but it may be out of my control.
 Recently Life has decided to happen, and I don´t know if I will ever make the Android version. At least not by myself, or as main programmer. Anyone who has enough of me can go ahead.

Kiko, there seems to be a problem with the amount of time on a level timer. I turned level 11 yesterday, but it still thinks I’m on level 10, and it says that I’m on my current level for 1.6 weeks, which in fact should say 25 hours or something. The progress chart also doesn’t show level 11, just the length of the level 10 bar keeps on increasing.

Bloodlotus said...Also (but it has been magically solved one day for an unknown reason) up until yesterday I couldn't simply use the app. Everything was working fine and I was up to the review screen, but when I entered the meaning/reading and pushed enter, it was constantly "thinking" with that orange-ish screen but never validated or invalidated the answer, always asking to reload (so I was unable to do any review). It lasted for about the last 2 weeks (I was regularly checking if it worked) and yesterday I found that it was finally working, even though I didn't change anything in settings/API key/Wifi config/anything else. 
Hm, reviews are presented through a standard webview so any loading issues are outside the scope of the app.

Bloodlotus said... Well in fact I found out where the problem is: when the iPad is in landscape the review button doesn't function, while in portrait it works just fine.
Interesting, thanks for the details. I redesigned the autolayout system which handles the layout when rotating orientations for 1.2 so I'm optimistic that that will be fixed in the next update. Further, I added support for doing reviews in landscape mode - it'll scroll to the correct position in landscape to be able to see everything.

Time said... Recently Life has decided to happen, and I don´t know if I will ever make the Android version. At least not by myself, or as main programmer. Anyone who has enough of me can go ahead.
No worries Time, appreciate the update.
Re: those interested in the Android version, I'm confident it'll happen eventually. I've discussed it with another member interested in the project, and I'll have some more time myself come summer, too.

kkamil113 said... Kiko, there seems to be a problem with the amount of time on a level timer. I turned level 11 yesterday, but it still thinks I'm on level 10, and it says that I'm on my current level for 1.6 weeks, which in fact should say 25 hours or something. The progress chart also doesn't show level 11, just the length of the level 10 bar keeps on increasing.
There's a couple possibilities here... Level-ups are detected through analyzing API data, which doesn't explicitly provide data on the times you level at. It's based on the time you unlock the first radical for a given level - I don't know exactly when that happens, but it's possible that you hadn't gone through your lessons for the new level yet, so it wasn't able to detect the change.

Otherwise, you might try completely closing and reopening the app so that it's forced to recalculate everything, and ensure it detects the new level. Beyond that, it may be a bug I haven't seen yet. Being a lower level it's hard for me to fully test things like this, all I can do is code defensively. I'm going to post a new beta build tonight, and if it's still happening after that please send me an email and we'll get to the bottom of it.

After 2 weeks of back and forth with the review team at Apple (ugh), 1.2 is finally live on the store! There’s a bunch of new stuff in this update, including iOS 5.0+ support, a graph view of your level progression, and more.