WaniKani for iOS

Update just showed up an hour ago, I would say awesome job ! I like the graph and the rough estimates about when I will be level 16, 27 and 50 ! I fixed the goal to be level 30 before 01/01/2014, I see that I have to work hard to get to that (currently at this pace I will be level 26 ! But its hard to draw some good estimates with only three levels, so I am pretty confidant since except first level I am below 9 days). Thanks and keep up the good work !

You good awesome person! Thanks for this, many thanks.

Bravo, your newest version is something I’m going to use every day on the way. 
It’s nice to see all that information about my leveling and all that!

New features are unbearably cool. Thank you for your work!
You are awesome!

New features are awesome! Thanks heaps

Yes! I can finally use this on my iPod 4G, iOS 5. Much more usable than mobile browser plus cool features not even present on the WaniKani site.

1. on the reviews, sometimes the very top tip of a kanji character is cutoff by the “review session” and back button bar. Probably not a problem, especially for iPod 5 screens, but might hide triceratops type radicals on advanced kanji. Could maybe remove the bar and have a floating back button?
  2. On the first screen, it seems to randomly switch reviews and lessons, and whichever is showing when exited, that’s the number shown on the icons badge. Maybe make an option for badge to show only reviews, or total lessons and reviews?
  3. While doing the lessons, the review part, if the “i” button is pressed to show the meaning/reading, it shows that screen for like 2 seconds, then switches back to the lesson review, and even sometimes to the SRS reviews. Also, the back button returns to the first screen. Maybe make it so the “i” button can be opened like a new tab, and have the back button go back to the lesson reviews?

I just started using the app, so maybe some of the above are confusions on my part. But I still love the app and will be using it exclusively on my iPod (which is like, most of the time) Great job and thank you!

Downloaded it, unfortunately I found a crash. Probably  because I’m relatively new, the view graph button crashes the application (iPhone WaniKani[4454] <Error>: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘CALayerInvalidGeometry’, reason: ‘CALayer position contains NaN: [85 nan]’). Maybe you should look into it.

Just wanted to say thanks very much for making this - you’ve made my commute to work a lot more fun!

Really glad you guys are enjoying the new features :slight_smile:

Bloodlotus said…Update just showed up an hour ago, I would say awesome job ! I like the graph and the rough estimates about when I will be level 16, 27 and 50 ! I fixed the goal to be level 30 before 01/01/2014, I see that I have to work hard to get to that (currently at this pace I will be level 26 ! But its hard to draw some good estimates with only three levels, so I am pretty confidant since except first level I am below 9 days). Thanks and keep up the good work !
Yup, every time you level up it will recalculate your estimated level completion, and of course more data will always create more accurate predictions. I spent 11 days on level 1 so it’s fun to see the completion estimates drop when I advance haha.

nelemnaru said…Yes! I can finally use this on my iPod 4G, iOS 5. Much more usable than mobile browser plus cool features not even present on the WaniKani site. Feedback: 1. on the reviews, sometimes the very top tip of a kanji character is cutoff by the “review session” and back button bar. Probably not a problem, especially for iPod 5 screens, but might hide triceratops type radicals on advanced kanji. Could maybe remove the bar and have a floating back button? 2. On the first screen, it seems to randomly switch reviews and lessons, and whichever is showing when exited, that’s the number shown on the icons badge. Maybe make an option for badge to show only reviews, or total lessons and reviews? 3. While doing the lessons, the review part, if the “i” button is pressed to show the meaning/reading, it shows that screen for like 2 seconds, then switches back to the lesson review, and even sometimes to the SRS reviews. Also, the back button returns to the first screen. Maybe make it so the “i” button can be opened like a new tab, and have the back button go back to the lesson reviews? I just started using the app, so maybe some of the above are confusions on my part. But I still love the app and will be using it exclusively on my iPod (which is like, most of the time) Great job and thank you!
  1. I’ll look at reducing the font size for 3.5" screens. I set it to scroll up even farther there for 1.3 which hopefully helps a little.
  2. This should be fixed in 1.3.
  3. This is fixed in 1.3. For whatever reason the WK site tries to open a new tab when you’re on a mobile device which doesn’t work inside a webview, so I had to add some workaround for this, but at least the result is really nice.
No, thank you for the excellent feedback! ^^

sasoh said…
Downloaded it, unfortunately I found a crash. Probably  because I’m relatively new, the view graph button crashes the application (iPhone WaniKani[4454] <Error>: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘CALayerInvalidGeometry’, reason: ‘CALayer position contains NaN: [85 nan]’). Maybe you should look into it.

Thanks for the report. This is a bug that affects people who are still level 1, I was able to track that down with some help from another user today (hard for me to test since I’m not level 1!), and it’s fixed for 1.3. On iPhone, just avoid the Progress Graph for now (there’s basically nothing to see there at level 1 anyways). On iPad, you’ll just need to wait for the update (or hurry and level up ;).

When does it start the level for duration calculation ? Immediately after you guru the last of the 90% kanji or when you start your first lesson ?

Also would it be possible to add how many days (8.8, 9.7 etc) we spent on that level when we click on one of the bar of the histogram, in addition to when we finished it ?

Thanks

This is beyond awesome. I’m tempted to buy an iPhone now. You should ask Apple to pay you for sending customers their way :slight_smile:

Ohhh awesome! Gamecenter integration. Your app is becoming really great like this c:

Wow, awesome! I have an iPod and I was just thinking if the site could run just as well in  iOS.  Great app! I’m looking forward to see how it develops!

Cool App thanks,

I’m not sure how you calculate the levels though or if its just a bug, but it says I took something like 19 days for my first level and 2 for my second?

I don’t really remember that far back and it was before I’d decided to buy a subscription so I think if anything I may have lingered around level two for slightly longer.

The whopping 27 days you have me at level 8 sound about right since I was traveling to a wedding and working on assignments during that time.

Also, I notice you have a little turtle icon next to the sect in screen shots. Of course I don’t expect you keep up with all the sect names, or even know what they are since Koichi or Viet seem to just make them up as it suits them (I don’t even know if anyone else is in ミーム) but I feel kind of like I’m missing out.
Maybe a default icon for people who aren’t in any of the larger sects? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just wondering whether there is an app for WaniKani when I suddenly saw your topic on the dashboard 5 minutes ago.
It’s an amazing app!  Thanks a lot

みなさんありがとう〜

Bloodlotus said…When does it start the level for duration calculation ? Immediately after you guru the last of the 90% kanji or when you start your first lesson ?

Also would it be possible to add how many days (8.8, 9.7 etc) we spent on that level when we click on one of the bar of the histogram, in addition to when we finished it ?

Thanks
Level durations are interpreted from the API, because WaniKani does not explicitly provide this data (and may well not keep track of it). For the app, a level ends when you unlock the first radical from the lessons from your new level. Holding off on your lessons will therefore extend your previous level, rather than your current one. As far as I know, this is as close as I can get with the current API.

Ethan said…Also, I notice you have a little turtle icon next to the sect in screen shots. Of course I don’t expect you keep up with all the sect names, or even know what they are since Koichi or Viet seem to just make them up as it suits them (I don’t even know if anyone else is in ミーム) but I feel kind of like I’m missing out.
Maybe a default icon for people who aren’t in any of the larger sects? :stuck_out_tongue:
Indeed, anyone who is Sect Turtles or Guppies gets a little turtle or fish respectively. Most custom sects seem to be population one, but if  there’s something that would encompass them all while not confusing users, then I’d certainly consider putting it in. The only requirement is that it be a unicode character.

Ryo said…Ohhh awesome! Gamecenter integration. Your app is becoming really great like this c:
Appreciate the feedback! I was close to cutting the feature as it seems rather superfluous, but eh why not, the achievements are fun ^^. I left it out of the way so it won’t bother those who’d prefer to leave it off.

Biep said…This is beyond awesome. I’m tempted to buy an iPhone now. You should ask Apple to pay you for sending customers their way :slight_smile:
Haha thanks, that’s quite an innovative approach to app monetization you’ve devised :)

Well, who knows, there might be someone also downloading your app and then sees in his gamecenter that some other friend also learns through wanikani. 
BAM instant super friendship

Since new update (like 5 minutes ago) my app does not work properly. It keeps asking to reload. Strangely enough it seems like the vocab was correctly sent to Wanikani because I reloaded twice for a 1 vocab review (one reload after meaning and another after reading) and the review is marked as done (although I’ve never seen any green area, only orange then reload). I will test on Wanikani website on iPad the next review to compare.

Ryo said...Well, who knows, there might be someone also downloading your app and then sees in his gamecenter that some other friend also learns through wanikani. 
BAM instant super friendship
Heh, that'd be pretty awesome too.

Bloodlotus said... Since new update (like 5 minutes ago) my app does not work properly. It keeps asking to reload. Strangely enough it seems like the vocab was correctly sent to Wanikani because I reloaded twice for a 1 vocab review (one reload after meaning and another after reading) and the review is marked as done (although I've never seen any green area, only orange then reload). I will test on Wanikani website on iPad the next review to compare.
This is not related to the mobile app. Please refer to Viet's accompanying threads when WaniKani is updated for info on changes to the site: /t/WK-Updates-May-28-2013/2291/1

Yes at the time I posted it wasn’t clear where the problem came from. Now I love even more the new release ! Graph tweak is especially good. But I am wondering what a higher level (>20) graph might look like, it should look pretty tight no ?