WaniKani for iOS

Thanks everyone for checking it out!

venetiansnares said…I just downloaded the app; this is really cool. This has probably been suggested before but it’d be awesome to see this integrated into the app in the future.
I’m in the planning stages for a detailed display of progress info for version 1.2, which should hopefully include some graph data.

Lin said…Okay, I need help re the API key!
It says if I press that button I have to get a new one and I don’t know what the heck it is in the first place! Or how to do that or if I ever had one.
Just by having an account you have an API key automatically, there’s never a need to regenerate a new one unless you wish to revoke access to all the 3rd party apps you’ve used. Just copy and paste the 32 characters into to the app and you’ll be good to go. You can find your key by scrolling down a bit on this page. It’s also available on your profile but you might have trouble copying from that field on iPhone.

Daikonran said…I know this is still in its very basic form, but after using it on my iPad for a bit, I didnt see too much of a difference from using it through the browser. The keyboard still drops down after each review item. It also kept on asking me to log into WK even after I put in my api key in the beginning. 

Still really appreciate the work thats been put into this. I am looking forward to the awesomeness I know it will become
Thanks for the feedback Daikonran. The main purpose of the app is to give you easy access to reviews on your home screen, get notifications of when it’s review time, etc. Reviews must be done through a web view there’s no way around that, so there are some significant limitations to how I can customize the experience when reviewing. The biggest differences are actually seen on iPhone, where it prevents autoscrolling from hiding the review item and autofocuses the keyboard.

Even on iPad though I think if you compare doing reviews in browser vs in the app I think you’ll see the subtle differences add up, especially once 1.1 is approved by Apple. But as you say, I plan to improve it further so I’ll keep all that in mind.

Also, giving me your API key doesn’t allow me to log in for you (which, if you think about it, is a very good thing), though autofilling your username is on my todo for 1.2.