WaniKani Discord Bot (Unaffiliated)

WaniKani Discord Bot (Unaffiliated)

Join our official development Discord server! Discord

I am very pleased to announce a script for connecting Discord to WaniKani (not officially affiliated with WaniKani). Development is underway! Currently, there are only a handful of planned features for the release. If you have any ideas for additional features, please include them below, and I’ll consider adding them for the release or for future updates.
Additionally, if you like this idea, please say something! I want to make sure this is something others can use and enjoy since I’m spending my time making it, and spending a good amount of time to ensure this is an excellent product you can use to add additional use to WaniKani through.

Current feature list:

• Connect securely to WaniKani by DMing the bot your token (not ever shared with anyone)
  • Reminders
  • Data aggregation (charts, recent information, etc. Ideas for specifics on this are welcome.)
  • Share progress with others in a server
  • Roles based on WaniKani level
  • Pacing assistance
  • Announce level ups

The Github repository the code is hosted on will be shared shortly. Excited for this!

35 Likes

If you’re looking for more data to collect, maybe see what is on wkstats. These features are quite popular.

3 Likes

Excellent, I will do so, thank you.

5 Likes

Can you recreate the Heatmap with emotes? jk

5 Likes

We shall see… it is most possible, if you indeed want it.

4 Likes

That would be a lot of work for little gain. I don’t even think I’m going to use the bot sweat_smile

4 Likes

Gotcha. Well, I’ll let this post go for a few hours. If it seems to die off probably better not to make it at all. I make bots for pay for rather large guilds, and I’d rather not eat into that time unnecessarily. We shall see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like not so many are excited about this :frowning:
Well, that’s fine.

I’d say wait 24 hours before making this conclusion, the Australians are still asleep :wink:

7 Likes

Fair enough. I shall wait. One concern is that it may get buried…

2 Likes

I think it’s because the bot is not up yet. If you’re really up to do this project, do it and people will follow.

6 Likes

You could start off with the basics, but over time, it would be cool if it could do tasks such as like 1v1’ing somebody in Kanji and Vocab based on specific levels. For instance, if a Level 8 wanted to 1v1 a Level 12, all Kanji, Radicals, and Vocab from Levels 1 to 8 (the ones they’ve done in Lessons) could be tested.
Now if a Level 8 wanted to 1v1 a Level 6, it’d only go from Levels 1 to 6 (up to how many the Level 6 has done in Lessons).
It would be so encouraging to just be able to duel people in WK on certain levels of terms.
Points could be done in a variety of ways. If a rare reading is used or something unconventional is in the reading, it could be worth more points. The goal could be to reach a certain amount of points.
So, that’s my first idea that would be absolutely crazy and literally a real life dream come true if it was somehow done. If Shiritori from the Kotoba bot is fun, imagine this!

Second idea is that you should be able to add usernames to the bot or be allowed to sync your Discord with your WK. From there, if somebody levels up, it can be announced in the server.

Third idea I randomly thought about is that the bot could prohibit the person from typing in the chat and/or maybe even being able to view messages because there could be a role that the bot gives you if you have too many reviews or too few Apprentice items. This one is kind of random, but the more the better, you know. It would encourage you to do your Reviews and Lessons even more. o_o

The bot could literally pace you if you wanted to reach a certain level at a certain time.
I mean, there are so many possibilities. I’ve thought about a Discord Rich Presence for Discord, but you making a WK Discord Bot is just as good because it’s real and it would be amazing regardless. I will definitely be coming back to view your progress here and then. Good luck. :smiley:

8 Likes

I like these, thank you! It could be a good tool to study with friends…

1 Like

Now accepting beta testers! DM me on Discord (username in first post) to get access :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure every reply gives a bump, so if enough people are interested, people will at least be aware of its existence.

1 Like

By the way, DMs don’t work until you add that person as a friend. I added you. If you don’t want to be friending people on Discord, I suggest perhaps changing up the settings (which I don’t know if you can do) or create a Discord server for us.

2 Likes

This sounds intriguing, but my knowledge of discord is limited to sending messages on channels and private chats :eyes::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

And some Europeans are going to bed :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m too tired to understand what it all means, so maybe I’ll check it out tomorrow (or, add me under Elfeera)

3 Likes

After a year or so, it’s not so difficult. lol
With continued use, you’ll eventually get it.

1 Like

Indeed. I think for beta testers I’ll have them send a friend request, but after we start releasing real versions, it can be posted instead of my username.