WaniKani Content Overhaul

Sorry!! :bowing_man:t2:‍♂

When you start hitting a lot more of the kanji that use those radicals, you’ll see why we changed those ones, especially. Many of those kanji were made with the (actual) meaning of those radicals in mind, way back in the day. So, they have something to do with hands, souls, etc.

申し訳ございません!! :bowing_man:t2:‍♂

There’s a decent number of little changes - went through a copy edit and there’s a chance something got changed because of someone’s wording preference.

Another possibility is that with a lot of the readings that come up a lot (しょう is one, I think), we’ve made all the reading mnemonics consistent in that they all use the same thing to remember them by. しょう uses shogun, so we rewrote all the kanji mnemonics for しょう whether or not they had a new/changed radical. Some of these reading mnemonic series may or may not contain a story narrative you get to go through as you level up, too. :thinking:

oof! I don’t want to imagine that :sweat_smile:

Speaking of new radicals, how do we actually learn new radical names instead of reflexively writing the old names for them? Is there a way to turn off the old meanings for radicals like knife etc?

Correction to my previous post. Only SOME of the old mnemonics are not displaying. For example: measure https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/計 and https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/試

That’s a totally fair point. I think we (should have) moved some things around so that you get some of that new primary reading right away, but I imagine there are going to be a few instances that were missed. When you’re dealing with thousands of changes… a few get through.

In your case though, what I’d recommend is:

1. Be sure to go through new radicals first, esp urgent ones.
  2. If it’s a newly unlocked kanji for you (less than guru, maybe), just jump to the item info page and read through the new mnemonic. It’s kind of cheating, but you’re still early enough in your SRS stage where it won’t hurt much. Just re-learn it.
  3. Then, put in the answer. Or, if you want to be really strict, put in the answer wrong once, then put in the right answer after.
  4. If it’s a kanji you’ve had for a little bit you should be able to use a reading from a vocabulary or two. Though, in your case for this one, I think since vocab was moved a bit, you’ll just have to do 1-3.

Not the best best best solution ever, but in the long run you’re going to be okay, and get to level 60 faster I think. :muscle:t2:

At least the “urgent” ones! Those are ones that will show up in your current or next level. Though, getting ahead won’t hurt if you can manage it.

That’s what @Kristen, @Toyger, and I were discussing last night too. It would be very helpful.

Yes! Your SRS stage will go back to zero (and you’ll have to go through it in your lessons). But, let’s say you got a radical to guru. That radical will still count as “passed,” so associated kanji will still unlock that use that radical despite re-learning it. The actual SRS stage will go back to zero, though.

Yeah, you’re right. I think that particular つ reading in 都合 has always been considered an “exception to learn in vocabulary.”

And, there’s the animal wolverine!

I’ll look into #1.

For #2, I see your point - I think the way the whitelist system is built, though, it wouldn’t be a simple/quick fix to add this option. Likely not something we’ll do, but I’ll check to see if we can add in a little popup like on’yomi/kun’yomi/weird-characters do, so at least you’ll know if you did this.

Thank you for answer, it’s very pleasant :slight_smile:
I will do my best to relearn!
どうもありがとうございました!(人’'▽`)☆

If it is seen as an exception, then maybe that vocabulary needs a mnemonic, instead of “you learned this with the kanji”, since we didn’t :wink:
I think we had in the past version though, was it removed in the new version? *confused myself now
I’ve had convos with many peoples about many items today =P

Edit: I had to go back and double check
“This is a jukugo word that uses the on’yomi readings of the kanji. You should be able to read this on your own.”

I’m pretty sure it had one in the past? Something about “you have to go”. Maybe it can be brought back, since it is an exception that isn’t really thought with the kanji =)

Sorry! :bowing_man:t2:‍♂ I think that one was supposed to be added to the whitelist, at least for a bit. I’m going to get on that so next time it should be right.

For all those folks looking for the list of kanji that changed from kun’yomi to on’yomi readings, here they are:

遠, 喜, 久, 兄, 考, 控, 甲, 杏, 合, 困, 魂, 左, 祭, 細, 四, 始, 指, 持, 取, 受, 場, 針, 星, 石, 打, 待, 池, 値, 着, 伝, 投, 売, 皮, 悲, 物, 方, 忙, 右, 遊, 浴, 良, 遠, 控, 魂, 指, 持, 場, 打, 待, 伝, 投, 皮, 悲, 忙, 遊, 良

Tested on readings you haven't been taught

I’d say it’s a great improvement to show the new first, and makes the transition easier for us who still need to peak at the old at times, but want to transition in to the new items as much as possible! =D
When it automatically shows the old it was more in the way than helping, but I want the ability to look at the old if I fail an item (so will mostly be used on reviews). I might peek on a lesson too, just to see if that mnemonic sits better with me, but mostly I want to use it for reviews from the past =)

That’s not a bad idea - let me talk to the team. I have a feeling it’s definitely not a quick fix type thing though.

For now, I’m going to get you guys a list of kanji that changed readings, though, and go from there. Give me a few more minutes and I should have that for you all.

If you’ve “passed” the radical (gotten it to guru), it’ll go back to your lessons and the SRS stage will be reset to zero. But, you’ll still keep the “passed” status and unlock kanji normally.

If the radical is not at guru or higher, it’ll do the same thing, and the SRS stage will be reset to zero… but, no passed state, so it would add some time to your reviews. (if you’re trying to go as fast as possible), there are a few ways to game the system though - finish the radicals of your current level to guru. Then after that re-learn them. They’ll keep the passed status and you’ll be able to re-learn them.

Nice, thank you overlord <3

You’re such a koichi :wink: