WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

@TofuguJenny is there any chance “bizarre” could be added to the visible list of definitions for 奇妙(きみょう)?

2 Likes

Hi @DIO-Berry! Is there a reason you’d like it to be visible? We already have three visible meanings so I’d be inclined to add it to the allow list.

1 Like

Just being a ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 otaku and hoping that’s a good enough excuse :point_right: :point_left:

edit for anyone not already familiar: ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 is JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure in English.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent reason, but I hope you’ll forgive me if I add it to the allow list :slight_smile: We really try to avoid having more than three meanings, unless a word has a very broad range of use, just because it can get a bit cluttered and potentially overwhelming!

2 Likes

Ok

please don’t take this seriously. Thank you for adding it to the allow list :green_heart:

10 Likes

When I got to 冒険 I was like ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

4 Likes

Always gotta be ready for a bizarre adventure. Who knows when a crazy vampire is going to send an emo loner artist to assassinate you?

2 Likes

It’s just an English title though, ‘bizarre’ is not in the jisho.org dictionary either.
Titles of media are often translated freely (as well as their contents).

1 Like

This must be the work of an enemy stand…

4 Likes

Jisho (or any dictionary) is not the final arbiter of language, and “bizarre” is a perfectly acceptable synonym for “strange, odd, peculiar” and all the other words jisho lists. Just because a translation is not listed in a bilingual dictionary does not mean that using that word is translating it “freely”

8 Likes

I know that. I meant that an English title doesn’t justify a translation, and it’s okay to not list it on WK where the goal is to keep it simple. Also, ‘bizarre’ does have a very strong connotation in English, much stronger than ‘strange’, often in a negative way. A ‘bizarre’ company response is worse than a ‘strange’ company response. You don’t want to call anything that’s strange or odd bizarre.
But yes, it’s an acceptable synonym in a lot of cases, and “translating it freely” is a bit of a stretch here. But i still think 奇妙 doesn’t have as strong a connotation as “bizarre”.

3 Likes

@TofuguJenny I noticed there’s some inconsistencies with how Tofugu is written in context sentences.

For 文句(もんく), it’s written in hiragana, but for ()める it’s in romaji. Is that intentional?

オンラインの日本語学習教材の中では、トーフグが文句無しで一番いいと思っています。
Tofuguがベーコン市場を買い占めるつもりだと聞きましたよ。

2 Likes

Joke’s on you I’ve already burned it :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It’s sitting in enlightened for me… that will be a fun few months until I get to actually burn it.

まだまだ『又』を燃やせないよ。

-こういち, probably

They aren’t even consistent with the way they write トーフグ, in multiple context sentences they write it as トフグ instead (which is obviously wrong because とう should be トー) :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Sound like you’d be a good candidate for that editor position Tofugu has open :eyes:

5 Likes

One of the things that’s most fun about reading is seeing how the translator chose to translate. I think WK’s answer here is on spot. They can’t add all possible meanings to the front line list.

This was a fun one for me.

I mean, I get “Resurrected, mentally insane, warrior.” out of that. Frankly I like my translation better. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

巨人 doesn’t take “titan” by default ;(

i can’t think of any other examples actually, thought there would be more
oh i guess there’s 刃 shaking on “yaiba” - iirc tho this used to just fail you so it’s an improvement xD

3 Likes

@DIO-Berry I don’t think it’s intentional, but both are okay. I’ve changed this one to トーフグ though, since “Tofugu” doesn’t provide very good reading practice. :stuck_out_tongue:

in multiple context sentences they write it as トフグ instead

This one’s definitely wrong! :sweat_smile: Changed to トーフグ.

3 Likes