WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

I’m speculating here, but I guess they’re going to hide just the lessons, so anyone who’s already got them in their review queues will continue see them as usual.

1 Like

They’ll be hidden for everyone, so they’ll no longer show up in reviews or in the number of burned items.

6 Likes

We’ll certainly consider it!

5 Likes

I see! That actually makes a lot sense. Or they could all go in an Alice-in-Wonderland level called “The Obscure Side of Reality” :rofl: Just kidding!

PS: waaaaaaaah, I love the new additions! Thank you Jenny!

1 Like

Nice, about half of the kanji that were missing vocab will now have vocab!

Also, I love 煎 from the last update. I see this one a lot on tea products.

Thanks for all the additions!

3 Likes

Nice!
I believe y’all forgot to put in the synonym “to harass” for 苛む, since “to harass” is included in both the reading and meaning explanations :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

I hope 併殺 and 球威 gets hidden but they won the first 五輪野球 so I guess it will stay.

2 Likes

Sorry this has probably been asked before, but what about items that are moving up levels?
Will they still appear for people who have already started them, even if they are below the new level?

For example, 又 is making a great jump from level 2 up to level 51. So most people have started it, but a lot of people probably aren’t at the new level yet.

When 岳 was moved from level 43 to level 45 (IIRC I was level 44 when it happened), 岳’s progress didn’t reset for me. Screenshot from the day I got level 45, with 岳 already guru’d:

7 Likes

Okay! Great, thank you so much for the info and screenshot!
Good to know I wouldn’t have to do that one again :blush:

1 Like

The first 五輪野球 was in 1992, won by Cuba.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out! We actually moved “to harrass” to the allow list because it’s not a very representative translation, but forgot to remove it from the meaning explanation. :woman_facepalming: It should be fixed now!

7 Likes

「屁」というはこの諺が好きですね。

屁をひって尻窄め

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know baseball was such a temporarily sport at the olympics, thought it was the first here.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say また itself is a complicated or uncommon word, but the kanji for it is extremely rarely used. It’s taught in grade 8 in Japan, and from the point of view of the JLPT, it’s classified as N1. Probably just not that useful to learn early on.

4 Likes

You’re right that it’s a common word, it’s just the kanji for it isn’t that common even though it’s a super simple 2-stroke character. Sometimes you get situations like this. It is a bit weird for a Japanese native to see learners use rare kanji like this after just barely starting Japanese. I can only speculate, but I bet it’s something related to teaching you what’s most useful first and what’s less useful last, and them shifting those priorities around as they reevaluate their content.

5 Likes

The む is missing in the reading explanation?
Just add mutual (we all sign a mutual contract)

3 Likes

また is indeed a really common word! It’s just that it’s almost always written in kana, and the kanji version only crops up in legal documents and the like. We’re going to update the meaning explanation and context sentences to illustrate this too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The reading explanation generally only covers the kanji reading :wink:

5 Likes

Ah yes, too early for my brain to function :rofl:

4 Likes