Wanikani Confessions

Interestingly my avatar says I am on level 10 but I’m very much working on level 12, perhaps this is my punishment for cheating.

I am currently ignoring 221 reviews. 'Cause I need to study, you know. It’s not like I spend time on durtle puzzles or anything.

7 Likes

I just used the “ignore” button on reviewing the 日 radical when I put the definition as “day” instead of “sun” because I wanted to get it to Enlightened and honestly I knew it was either one or the other and I’ll never do it again I promise.

Good thing this isn’t Bunpro confessions though… whew…

4 Likes

As you get to higher levels more will be unlocked upon leveling up. I think level 8 was the first time radicals, kanji AND vocabulary unlocked the moment I leveled up (but I might have missed it earlier). I don’t remember which early level, but upon level up you should soon start getting both radicals and half-ish of the kanji (because they use radicals from previous levels). So you will get more lessons, and since you get half the kanji upon level up, you can guru all radicals and half the kanji at the same time, thereby unlocking both second half of kanji and half-ish of the vocab (or whatever amount needed those kanji you just guru:ed).

So the pace will pick up or at least change, but if you keep doing all lessons as soon as you get them, you are unlikely to have lessons every day. (Although since we all make mistakes, it means some radicals/kanji will guru on a different day than most, so… some lessons outside big batches will most likely happen.)

@quollism For that one, I’d actually just add day. I thought I wouldn’t do those things, but when a kanji that looks exactly the same have multiple meanings, how am I supposed to remember which one the radical used? O_O

6 Likes

This is so true. I was kinda used to having 100+ lessons after a level up and now I’m enjoying the slooow pace on level 5. It feels so nice. Too nice. It’s most certainly a trap.

2 Likes

:anguished: 100+ lessons?? Noooooooooo! :fearful:

Here’s my confession: I am truly not interested in max speed. I wrecked myself 3 times getting to level 7ish and resetting. Things I have learned: Do lessons in SMALL batches to keep retention better, and going slow is my jam. But this means I have reviews every single hour of the day sometimes :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I use WK to procrastinate my university homework…

14 Likes

I have done this, too!

Also this! I have had to ask people around me how to say simple things like ‘police station’. Sometimes I’ll add a Dutch synonym for simple things I would definitely know in English, but I just prefer the Dutch word

2 Likes

I wrote 2 Guides actually :stuck_out_tongue:

yu

The 368 days’ one is not about fast speed though. People that read it from beginning to end will realize it. It’s about improving your entire WK journey. That might increase user’s speed indirectly, but at the end of the day, they decide. If anything, I’ve been told that I recommend doing the exact opposite of what I did (going full speed) :rofl:

You’re always in time to do it mate :heart: It’s not by chance that level 60 threads are always popular. There’s a reason for it: people wanna learn from those people.

I’m unfortunately still not rich :sob:

Meh, who cares. I know for sure that the next generations will beat me (they are already doing it). We learn from past experiences and that gives us leverage.

I think you did WK the first time in like… 390 something days? I knew that my goal at the very beginning was to beat you. I did the math for it and everything. And I did “beat” you, but that was also through your inspiration. I didn’t do it by myself. I guess that’s a point a lot of people competing for speed don’t get. Heck, if there wasn’t a Leebo speeding up around my time, I probably would have never thought of ways to improve my speed.

PS: I also know that you did catch that time where Apprentice 4 => Guru 1 was 3 days, not 2. Don’t worry, I’m aware :grin:

8 Likes

I am happy when I meet up with friends and they are late, because I can use the time to do my reviews :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If it’s kanji reviews for my current level I keep the dashboard open on a different tab to check the answers Absolutely nothing I’m a perfect and obedient child

6 Likes

It’s not wrong, though. The kanji 日 can mean “sun” and it can also mean “day”. I’d say that’s just a problem of missing official synonyms.

Edit: oh, you were talking about the radical, I noticed now. Still, I don’t think it actually qualifies a mistake.

2 Likes

I didn’t learn katakana until I finished N3’s grammar and made it to level 30. If I ever ran into katakana, i’d use rikai-kun.
Kind of regret learning it, wish I held out until N1. That would have been hilarious.

24 Likes

Instead of learning the word I 念願 properly I added a lot of swear words as synonyms because it just won’t stick.
Now I just insult the word and still pass the review :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

One thing that surprised me when listening to the tofugu podcast is that koichi didnt know that jprs speed was possible when other people have completed WK in around the same time or faster even before jpr did. I would have thought koichi would know user’s completion times, but apparently not. Combine that with jpr mentioning everywhere how fast he completed wk and it makes sense.

Either way, congrats on your hayai speedo and getting level 60, my man. I know you, for what its worth (and im pretty awesome so it better be worth a lot).

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I don’t care. If I did care I probably wouldn’t have erased my progress from wkstats by resetting. My goal was always about getting to learn more kanji quickly, not the time stats, but I do enjoy trying to maximize that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Does the math
Realizes that if I keep this pace I’m gonna finish in 367 days
Huehuehuehuehuehuehue

14 Likes

You on the other hand never made it to level 60 でしょう? pats in the back

It’s okay. You’ll get there one day!

Damn it… why did I forget to do my reviews on that night out :sob:

7 Likes

Oh no I already screwed up with 470+ days as a break lol:D

3 Likes

I do this all the time too! I thought I was the only lazy person.

I also sometimes (most days) neglect my actual job for a few minutes and do my reviews at my desk for a few minutes. Usually while I’m waiting for code to run, but still. I probably shouldn’t be doing that.

3 Likes