Wanikani Confessions

This is helpful–thanks, sigolino. I don’t see a way to choose lessons–so far I just do all lessons as they become available at the top of the dashboard. I wonder if there’s a way to unlock more lessons that I’m missing?

Maybe it’s easier to understand how new lessons are unlocked by reading this:

As for choosing which lessons to do (assuming they’re already unlocked, of course), without user scripts all you can do is tinker a bit with these settings:

Which are located over here:

If you want complete control over lesson ordering, you have to use that user script I posted above, though I’m afraid I’m not the right person to teach you how to install it :sweat_smile:

Thanks again! Looks like doing the reviews as fast as I can will unlock the lessons as fast as I can. I assume the pace picks up at some point if some people are offered/unlocked 10+lessons a day.

No, they/we don’t get 10 lessons unlocked a day, we restrict ourselves to only doing 10 lessons a day of our available lessons. I currently have 104 lessons waiting, and they were about 200 when I leveled up to 8 ca 10 days ago. Because I used some reorder and then sickness and Christmas messed up my normal flow until I actually had quite a bit of vocab from level 6 still hanging around.

I only do 15 lessons a day, because it takes a reasonable amount of time and keeps my reviews at a level that I don’t get overwhelmed. That means it will take me a while yet to get to 0 lessons and I’m okay with that. I might even level up again before I get to 0 lessons, but it shouldn’t get too wonky this time because I stopped using reorder for now.

For new kanji I just unlocked I’ll use the ignore button for the first review because I never remember all ~25 new kanji on the first go, but I know I’ll have it down by the time they’re Guru and I don’t want to feel like I “wasted” those precious 3 or 4 hours.

Sometimes in a kanji review session, I’ll get one wrong, and if I take issue with being marked wrong, I’ll scurry over to jisho.org for a second opinion.

This happened just now with 壊. I entered “destroy”; WK said “WRONG! It’s ‘BREAK’”. I went over to jisho.org and searched for “壊 #kanji” which returned “demolition, break, destroy”. So back I go to my review session, where I now confidently enter “destroy” as a synonym and then click the Ignore button. I love feeling all self-righteous about clicking the ignore button.

I’m also constantly sending requests for official synonyms to be added (or meanings to be changed) to hello@wanikani.com where Kristen is very accommodating, (Cyrus less so), and so sometimes my requests make it into the actual definition. Also, I apologize for getting “cubbard” removed from 押し入れ.

Kristen is the one taking care of these changes. That’s why Cyrus might sometimes not be able to give you a definitive answer on your suggestions :slight_smile:

What I meant to say is that for whatever reason, in the replies I get from Kristen my suggestion is usually accepted, but in the responses from Cyrus, they’re usually rejected.

But! I shouldn’t have implied that one of them is more helpful than the other, though. My sample size is way too small to make generalizations. I’m certainly also not saying that my suggestions are always right, though I do try to do my research (but then so has the WK team).

I enjoy learning the vocabulary more than learning the kanji.

This is probably because my grammar is much more advanced than my kanji and vocab knowledge so vocab feels much more immediately useful.

True! But you might change how you feel as you get to the levels with many words for “action” and “feeling” and “arrange”, etc. At that point I remember the vocabulary starting to seem less useful and more confusing.

The caveat to using jisho is that it’s user-edited!! I mean, in your example it was probably 100% fine, but jisho should be taken with a grain of salt, especially with expressions or more abstract terms

Good point, and I agree, but can you point me towards a more authoritative online J-E kanji dictionary? I guess I do have an old 電子辞書 at home…

I sometimes peek at what reviews are coming up in ultimate timeline. So far I’ve been able to keep myself from looking up ones I don’t know, but I do get to think about it before the review actually comes.

Wow, good to know. So I should enjoy the slow pace and get used to it.

At least for now–I do understand it will get very hard and the pace will seem fast!

So long as you don’t look it up, I like to think of that as counting as its own review. Like seeing it out in the wild… kind of. Close enough.

I regret not making a “hooray I’m 60” thread.

I was even faster than @jprspereira.

He started a month ahead of me though, and was always more active on the forums. I was even going to make a guide for anyone else wanting to level-up at full speed, but he beat me to that, too. Then I decided not to make a celebratory thread for myself because I figured I was the only one who really cared, anyway.

Now @jprspereira is something of a celebrity here, even getting a mention in the new official FAQ.

Me? Well, I guess some people here know of me :man_shrugging:

I wasn’t ever going to mention any of this. But hey, it’s a confession thread!

When I started (the first time), the max speed was slower, so my time was slower than jp, but it was physically impossible to go at that speed when I started.

Not saying I actually would have finished faster in a parallel universe, but eh. :slight_smile:

Also would not have made a topic in any case.

I agree with this. It’s best not to look at all, but if you’re going to peek at an item early, at least don’t look up the information about it…

Or, if you’re going to look up the information about it, make it a useful look-up and try to find it on a non-WaniKani source to at least say you saw it in the wild, if not totally honestly. :sweat_smile:

I cheat a bit on the kanji to get them up to guru then let them fall back once I’ve got the vocabulary. My reason for this is that I find that the kanji are a lot more easy to memorise when I have the vocabulary. This may be because I’m very much in the realm of familiar kanji, not a lot that is 100% new to me and so the vocabulary context helps build the links between the kanji.

I should probably do a post on how Wanikani is working for me because it really is. It has done a huge amount to help me level up my Japanese.