Volume 3 - シメジシミュレーション・Shimeji Simulation

I love all the quirky ideas in this manga. This was one of my favourites, especially しりとり!

Bottom of page 34
ちなみにしめじちゃんのこの うなっとしたのはどういう感情なんでしょう…?
What is うなっとした?

Please choose…
  • ゾウ
  • アリクイ
  • バク

0 voters

2 Likes

I am not very confident, but I understood this to be:

うな = eel (the eel she’s created as part of her “communication” and is shown above her head in that panel)
っと = the quotation particle? Not sure why it has a っ, maybe just to emphasize the previous うな
した = past tense of する, in this case refering to Shimeji-chan performing the creation of the eel.

“So the fact that Shimeji-chan has made this ‘eel’, what kind of emotion would it be?”

2 Likes

Chapter 24 - April 9th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

1 Like

I think this is probably 7月, since it’s the middle of summer and all. You can see that the side strokes of the kanji extend a bit past the bottom horizontal stroke, making it look a bit more like 月 than 日.

3 Likes

Well pages 46 and 47 might hold the record for longest time spent on two pages of a manga for me. It’s a good thing we all love language here, right?

I think Shijima’s got a future as a lyricist. モサモサモササウルス is a banger.

4 Likes

I couldn’t make sense of the poem in the second panel of page 46 and at first thought it was nonsense. In fact it’s the Iroha, a Japanese poem written probably in the Heian era, which is a perfect pangram, i.e. uses each character of the Japanese syllabary exactly once. Perhaps if it wasn’t handwritten it would have been easier to spot the unusual ゐ (wi) and ゑ(we) archaic hiragana. Wikipedia gives a breakdown of the translation.

With the amount of times people complain about 友人 being a vocabulary word early in Wanikani, it’s always nice when it comes up in a manga (page 44). It appears to have a more formal feel than using 友達 here.

Something weird happens to Shijima at the bottom of the first page, I assume she is just shaking because she is nervous to be approached by someone she doesn’t well.

Loved it!

3 Likes

Chapter 25 - April 16th

And you’ll be pleased to know it’s a much easier read than last week…

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

Alrighty, I’ve finally managed to snag a copy. You haven’t finished the whole volume already, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just gotta find some time to catch up…

3 Likes

Chapter 26 - April 23rd

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

4 Likes

I sat down to start getting caught up on this… at which point, I realised I never actually read volume two. So I’ma get caught up on that first. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So all this time spent waiting for volume 3 to arrive… :joy:

4 Likes

Chapter 27 - April 30th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along
  • I just realised I haven’t read volume 2 yet…

0 voters

2 Likes

Some flash backs to chapter 7! I wonder if anyone is really selling あじやき since volume one came out?

What’s the kanji I can’t identify on page 87?

Summary

生けすの中で?生えた友情
My best guess so far is 芝 but I’m not sure that makes sense!

2 Likes

芽生えた?

Minimum character count

4 Likes

That’s the one, thank you. Didn’t know 芽生える but that’s a nice word - to bud, to sprout.

1 Like

Chapter 28 - May 7th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

That was an interesting chapter. Gotta be happy with a cheeky appearance by チト and ユーリ!

I remember someone commenting on the mysterious stones in the very first week. I wonder how much we are going to find out…

3 Likes

Chapter 29 - May 14th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

Finally finished ch26…the マジ puns made me laugh way more than they should have :joy:

4 Likes

Chapter 30 - May 21st

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like