Vocabulary words that has さ appended to the back of the word

In both level 1 and 8, we learn the words ‘大きさ’ and ‘長さ’, which means size and length respectively.

I don’t quite get the explanation given for the meaning of both words. And lastly, what is the purpose of adding さ to the back of the kanji/word?

If possible, I hope that someone can take the time to explain it to me :cry:. If this question has been answered before, I hope that you can refer me to the post :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

-ness might be a good general purpose translation of the suffix.

大きい = big
大きさ = bigness, size

長い = long
長さ = longness, length

You can do this with any ~い adjective, and more

楽しさ = happiness
高さ = tallness, height
静かさ = quietness

13 Likes

Replacing い with さ is like adding “ness” to an adjective. It makes it a noun and emphasizes the quantifiable aspect. There are other ways to make it a noun to emphasize other aspects as well.

For instance, み emphasizes the quality of it, rather than the quantity. But that isn’t possible to use for some words.

This is where the “mi” in “umami” comes from.

12 Likes

And that’s why 楽しみ is more common than 楽しさ even though they’re both grammatically correct.

That’s a nuance that -ness doesn’t catch.

I believe that ~み is usually used for emotional and sensory words, such as happiness and flavor.

5 Likes

http://maggiesensei.com/2017/04/17/the-difference-between-さ-み-sa-mi-suffixes-to-make-a-noun/

4 Likes

Thank you guys for all of your replies, it helped to clear up the doubts that I have and for giving me some additional insights for adding み as the suffix :grin:

Hope you all will have a great day ahead! :relaxed:

3 Likes

This is, like… the opposite of a wall-of-text.

Unreadable, because

it’s got

short

sentences that are

far

too

spaced

out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.