:crabigator: Visual WK Mnemonics

That’s brilliant! :slight_smile:

That’s… terrifying. :scream:

1 Like

()() - To Meet - Level 5

Reading: While at the market shopping for onions, you meet a girl you’ve never seen before. She’s get’s in your face and keeps repeating あう、あう、あああううう。What a strange girl you’ve met…

2 Likes

Not to toot my own horn, but I made a bunch of WK visuals in this thread here:

2 Likes

河童(かっぱ) - Kappa - Level 26

Reading:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to learn to draw, and figured I might as well get some Japanese-practice in while I’m at it:

幹・みきtree trunk

みき Mouse jumps out of a tree trunk

境・さかいboundary, border

Please pretend this eye is wearing socks, because its name is Sock-Eye (さかい), and it guards the border to キョウto.

Also, there’s a cross marking the border to キョウto; helps keeps the elves out. You ever see an elf in キョウto? Thought not.

増える・ふえるto increase

The cross (土) makes the number of masks (曽) increase; they just pop out of the ground, 'cuz that’s how they make masks.

The Phantom of the Opera only has half a mask, because somebody took away the cross halfway through. That’s also why he murders people.

現・present; appear

The king is live. You watch (見) the king (王) right now. You just turn on the TV and the king will appear.
It’s like that movie with the guy from Bridget Jones’s Diary where the King gives a speech and he has to practice a lot because it’s live.

4 Likes

These are great! I especially love the live king.

1 Like

(ぼく) - I - Level 12

Kanji & Vocab
Meaning:
僕

I! . . . I! . . . I! . . . I!

I feel so alone. Gonna end up a big ol pile of them bones.

3 Likes

Heads up, this may change the level of some items slightly:

Wow I’m honestly kind of shocked that they went with this approach. I thought the whole idea of self and other move verbs was to consider both of them together to find out which is which.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not a fan either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

The idea is to know which is which. Not to toss a coin and hope. :stuck_out_tongue:

Especially since in the wild, you’re only going to encounter one of them at a time pretty much always.

1 Like

Yeah I see your point. The way the words are taught without any explanation of how to tell the difference does encourage guessing.

Any tips on how to remember the kun’yomi for 次? The two guillotines mnemonic isn’t working for me because つ sounds nothing like “two” in my head. Also I like to try and link the reading with the meaning. Which isn’t happening for me this time, I can’t seem to come up with anything lol

I might just have to brute force this one again like I did to remember じ for the on’yomi.

つぎ (次) is next, and i’ve heard it a million times (in anime), so this is an automatic one for me.
I guess you’ll have to find a mnemonic like “Next, i’m eating another ice cream.” “wait, you already ate TWO, GEE!!”
With kunyomi I often try to remember and make a mnemonic of the full reading, because usually there’s only a single word or form this is used in.

3 Likes

It may help to remeber that “tu” doesn’t really exist in Japanese (except for gairaigo and maybe some weird exceptions); つ takes up the u-row of the t-column, so whenever a mnemonic points to a “tu”-sound, you can assume it will be つ.

I suspect you’ll probably run into quite a lot of mnemonics that work that way, so it may be worth getting used to that idea.

(Similarly with “ti” → ち, “si” → し and “hu” → ふ, but I guess those are less relevant because there are plenty of words in English that contain sounds similar to ち, し and ふ.)

2 Likes

Fun fact: The English word “two” is ツー in Japanese.

ワン、ツー、スリー…

4 Likes

誘・ゆうinvite, entice, seduce, tempt, allure

I hear somebody speak (言), and see somebody standing at the top of the stairs (乃), holding out some grains (禾). They are trying to invite me in; to tempt me with these grains.
The voice calls out “ゆう-hoo! ゆうths!”

Fortunately, I’m gluten-intolerant, so I am immune to their allure.

5 Likes

I know this meme is getting really annoying, but this genuinely helped me remember this radical lol

8 Likes

it’s great and so is your avatar!

2 Likes

hahaha thank youuuu