WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10)

So, I’ve been amusing myself by drawing little pictures to the kanji and radicals. I’ve even named my purple guy with the Crabigator hat, Kani-kun. I thought I’d do this to amuse myself because the mnemonics are so funny and interesting. I’m almost done drawing the Level 2 mnemonics, so I will share those when I’m finished. Hope everyone who reads this finds them just as amusing as I did.

Level 1 is down below.
Level 2 is here: WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #23 by AmandaBear
Level 3 is here: WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #35 by AmandaBear
Level 4 is here: WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #81 by AmandaBear
Level 5: WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #94 by AmandaBear
Level 6: WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #116 by AmandaBear
Level 7: (radicals) WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #121 by AmandaBear
(kanji) WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #127 by AmandaBear
Level 8: (radicals) WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #144 by AmandaBear
Level 9: (radicals) WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #145 by AmandaBear
Level 10: (radicals) WK Mnemonic "Art" for Kanji Levels 1-7 (Radical Levels 1-10) - #146 by AmandaBear

If you want to use my art in WaniKani lessons as a userscript, the lovely @Sinyaven made one for everyone to use:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/418774-wanikani-mnemonic-artwork

Here are the Level 1 Radicals:

picWoman

And here are the Level 1 Kanji:

picTwo

198 Likes

Absolutely love these! And drawing them must have reinforced the radicals and kanji quite a bit

13 Likes

WOW!! Those are great!
I’m looking forward to your picture for this one (WaniKani / Kanji / 鬱):
It’s level 50 so you have plenty of time to think of a good visualization :wink:

44 Likes

Absolutely great! Tagging @Mods with idea to add graphic images to lesson pages :slight_smile:

7 Likes

These are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. Never going to forget your version of Kouichi!

5 Likes

Totally reminds me of Award-winning Chinese Learning Methodology | Learn about Chineasy :slight_smile:
Great minds think alike, I guess…

2 Likes

These are so awesome! I love them.

Can’t wait for your drawing of Genji for WaniKani / Kanji / 言

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 12.00.01 PM

4 Likes

holy mother of crabs you’re amazing

8 Likes

I love how the sun looks so disappointed at becoming a rectangle.

37 Likes

@2000kanji Oh my gosh, that kanji looks like madness! Can’t wait for that one. :joy:

I’m so overwhelmed by how much you guys like my dinky little MS Paint drawings. Your words of encouragement mean a lot! Makes me want to keep going! I’ve drawn all the radicals up to Level 8 and almost done with Level 2 of the kanji. I hope I can eventually draw them all. It’s a challenge, but I’m willing to accept it. For the love of the Crabigator!

34 Likes

I absolutely love this!!! This is a great way to really make them come to life! Such an awesome way to get the kanji to stick! Thank you so much for sharing. Please keep us updated as you create more. :smile:

3 Likes

I love this so much!! Not only will this help you remember this stuff, it’s probably a ton of fun! You should keep this up for sure, and if you really want to draw them all, I wish you the best of luck!

5 Likes

It looks like you had a lot of fun drawing these. I absolutely love them! :heart_eyes_cat: Just wow!

2 Likes

@RedFlameUDN It was a ton of fun for sure! The mnemonics were just so interesting that I couldn’t help myself. I first started because I was on an especially rough level, so I figured these drawings would help me remember. :sweat_smile: I’m out of that rough patch now, so these drawings are now mostly for fun rather than a tool for me to remember.

4 Likes

You should make a book of these and sell it to us! These are fantastic!

2 Likes

What a coincidence. This kanji features today in a tweet by Misa:
`

:joy::rofl:
But
don’t worry guys, most Japanese people can’t write the kanji
鬱.
We just recognise the kanji from the two 木 and 彡
:joy:

I might even say that some people can’t read this
kanji without context! https://t.co/rZqGUlRRSv

Misa :jp: Japanese Ammo (@japaneseammo) December
9, 2020

`
5 Likes

:star_struck:
Every entry is golden!

I especially like the ones below:

faves

:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:
I just want you to know that you really made my day today! Thank you so much for sharing these with us.
i like it

5 Likes

Omg these are absolutely beautiful :pleading_face::heart::heart:

4 Likes

This is genius. I love them as well🧡

1 Like

These are all so amazing!!! I love them!!!
And Kouichi in the overalls with no shirt and shoes and the long hair, absolutely iconic!!!
And Kani-kun is adorable, I love the crabigator hat with the teeth biting into his head!!!
Your drawings are really cute and fun looking :slight_smile: I’m excited to see level 2!!!

3 Likes