Verbs for が particle

I like to know, Most(All) common verbs used along with が particle.

Well… all of them.

が marks the subject - the doer of the verb. Often the topic of the sentence, marked by は, is also the subject of the verb, in which case the は replaces the が, but it’s still there, just invisible.

10 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think the wanikani forum can handle that much in one post, we are talking thousand and thousand of verbs here :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Looking up #verb on jisho returns 25416 items :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Let’s put it this way, what verbs can specifically not be used with a が particle

4 Likes

How could such a verb exist? You can always phrase something in some way to use が.

3 Likes

I have no knowledge of such a verb, but maybe OP knows something I don’t

2 Likes

We’ll need more information from the OP to know why he asked the question.

2 Likes

Maybe they learned certain grammar structure with が, like「~ことができる」or something, and they think that’s like a special verb to use in that context?

Actually, as a beginner to particles, I am unable to think anything else with が particle except …がすきです。

Well, name a verb and you can make a sentence using が, because が marks the subject of a verb.

人がいる There is a person
石がある There is a stone
日が出る The sun rises
女の子が走る A girl runs
車が止まる A car stops

Of course, you can make sentences that use those verbs without using が, but you can always use が if you want or need to.

10 Likes

すき in this case is actually an adjective (好き), not a verb. You can kind of translate it as “liked” or “likeable”.

リンゴが好きです means “I like apples”, but literally translated describes that apples have the aspect of being liked.
In an English context it is regarded as a verb, but in Japanese, it is an adjective.

It is however indeed true that when used like this 好き (almost?) always has が in front of it, and not は. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking about?

5 Likes

は can be used, but would generally (though not necessarily exclusively) be there for the purpose of expressing a contrast (this is an intermediate particle concept, so the OP doesn’t need to worry about it yet).

を is also possible, but that’s an advanced particle topic.

4 Likes

Yeah true, didn’t think about that.
But beginners usually learn that 好き is never preceded by は in the way they’re used to using は.

Ooh didn’t know about that one actually.

I found the explanation provided on Tae Kim’s guide pretty nice. Do check that out here
Another instance is when you use intransitive verbs. Just google them up.

ドアが開いている・ドアを開ける

Nowhere close to an exhaustive list as I am also learning. But I learnt more about が just by conversing with my teachers.

1 Like

This can of course also take が, the person who performs the action of opening the door. 人がドアを開ける

The subject of the two verbs changes. And you could omit the direct object if it was obvious to the listener. 人が開ける. It would still be implied as part of the structure of the sentence though.

3 Likes

This is an important piece of information that’s often overlooked! Especially in spoken Japanese, phrase-particles are often dropped.

ケーキ〇食べますか。

That said, I can’t think of any verbals that you can not use with が.

Ah, that’s not what I was thinking of when I said that, but it’s true. I was talking more about how other particles can appear, like は or も, etc. They just take over the role that が is playing and add more information.

1 Like

So I think the way you’re thinking of the particle is from a very rigid, beginner perspective (which is to be expected). Of the verbs you’ve probably learnt so far, I’m willing to bet that in a good number of them, you can replace any topic marker は that is used, with a が (ignoring the slight change in nuance). For example:

私はラーメンを食べます → 私がラーメンを食べます (Both: “I eat ramen”)
私は東京に行きます → 私が東京に行きます (Both: “I go to Tokyo”)
こどもは大きくなりました → こどもが大きくなりました (Both: “The kids got big”/“The kids grew up”)

under particular contexts these won’t actually be equivalent but for simplicity’s sake I’m ignoring that

Just try thinking of literally any simple sentence in english. The noun/pronoun that comes before the verb is the subject, and so can use が in Japanese.

4 Likes

When it comes to が, this Cure Dolly video was incredibly useful for me:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.