Using Time Efficiently

It’s been a month now since I pulled back on my WaniKani Leveling up and tried to look at other forms of Japanese immersion to further my study. In that time I’ve watched entire seasons of several adult Japanese t.v. shows., started using Bunpro regularly, and most importantly…have more time for other stuff which I noticed I’m not using that time efficiently. In all fairness, I was sick for a while, but I’m not liking where my head is at now. I want to keep up the same level of intensity I had with WaniKani…just…not with WaniKani. I find Bunpro terribly boring and i don’t think I’m getting much out of watching those Japanese t.v. shows other than the pure entertainment value. With WaniKani I was obsessed with leveling up every seven days. Now I don’t have that same drive and so I’ve noticed my mind is starting to wander. I mean… its cool that I finally have enough time to keep up on my calistetics and all my other academic studies, but I waste more time than I shall admit…sleeping… LOL. which apparently I didn’t do for like…two years now.

What are some ways that I can keep my study intensive and challenging without overwhelming myself? The fear of seeing over a hundred Reviews in my WaniKani inbox pushed me to keep on track every hour of every day chipping away a few Reviews at a time if I had to and finishing each Level in 7 days, but I don’t have that now. What are some things that I can do that are just as efficient at keeping my head in the game? Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

were you actually managing to retain and burn stuff? I’ve started going at a faster pace now and I’d say I need at least two weeks

I’m on the Yomichan/Anki train and read until I add 25 new cards every day. This gamifies the process and keeps me on-track with daily reading. The trick is that as you learn more words, you end up reading more.

12 Likes

How much reading do you do? How many kanji have you learned outside of WaniKani?

You can always join the book clubs for some structure (weekly reading material), and look for unknown kanji to add to Anki to start learning.

Granted, you probably won’t find too many unknown kanji in the Absolute Beginner and Beginner Book Clubs. But they’re a great time investment for learning grammar as you read, if your grammar isn’t ready for the Intermediate Book Club.

6 Likes

I agree with ChristopherFritz - reading might be something to really invest time in.

Reading a lot definitely will help with grammar and vocabulary. Personally, I can’t do
another SRS while doing WaniKani, so I study grammar books and try to absorb the
grammar from exposure via reading.

The trick is finding something you really enjoy reading, so you feel like putting in lots
of time with it.

5 Likes

If efficiency is a priority in your mind, then you should be making cards in anki or something to go along with your immersion. Setting a new word per day limit like @darkhelmet is one guaranteed way to hold yourself more accountable. 7 day levels on WK is equivalent to like 20 items a day technically. I do 30 nowadays but I did 20 for a majority of my studies and thought it was a good pace. Then reading, of course, if you wanna. Really just making sure you are trying to understand whats being said and not just letting it wash over you is an important part. Like, you gotta put in consistent effort to understand each sentence or else your brain is just gonna ignore 98% of the stuff you don’t know and you’re gonna lose a lot of efficiency.

You don’t have to focus on reading like other people are saying for some reason. It sounds like you are still pretty early on in your studies so you can get plenty of grammar and words from shows to learn. Just consume whatcha wanna consume. If you make 20 high quality cards from sentences that were i+something, you’ll be going at a fine pace for each day imo.

2 Likes

I use an old iPhone 5S for all my third party language learning apps. I have over a thousand screenshots of pages of kanji or phrases I would like to review in my iPhotos. I also import these screenshots to iPhotos on my macbook in hopes of one day making flashcards of all these screenshots, many of which are items that are duplicates, but no matter, if I feel I should review it, I snap a shot and move on with my study, not to be deterred. If one word comes up ten times in that deck, it just means I really need to review it. Its taken me half a year to amass this pile, but I don’t know how to use anki properly. I know that what I need to do is double each card for front and back and then black out/white out the “answer” on the backside of each one as well as add info as necessary. I downloaded “Safarikai” which is the apple version of Yomichan on Chrome. Does any of this stuff make sense? Sorry… I’m not good with computers.

Well I really enjoyed the following shows on Netflix
Eraser: 僕だけがいない街
Parasyte: 寄生獣
Midnight Diner: 深夜食堂

I watched the Eraser anime as well as the t.v. show. I watched Parasyte the anime as well as the japanese movie. And I watched all three seasons of Midnight Diner. I did all of this in under a month, which is…well…pretty insane. Just by cutting back on my wanikani it was like a whole world of time opened up for me, but I don’t think my time watching these shows was very productive, which made me want to reach out to you guysm Stillman777.

Where could I find the original manga for these anime? What e-reader works best on apple macbooks and apple phones?

My understanding of sentence structure is still at the N5 Level, primarily because I’m good at cyphering, (Japanese is my third of six languages I study) not so much because I actually study and understand grammar so it’s really difficult for me to navigate completely Japanese websites, (no clue how to use Safarikai), but I really would like e-books of these manga and a means to study…sentence by sentence…word by word, all these wonderful manga that I loved and enjoyed.

Can you help me please?

nail on the head.

I’ll repost what I said to Stillman777:
Well I really enjoyed the following shows on Netflix
Eraser: 僕だけがいない街
Parasyte: 寄生獣
Midnight Diner: 深夜食堂

I watched the Eraser anime as well as the t.v. show. I watched Parasyte the anime as well as the japanese movie. And I watched all three seasons of Midnight Diner. I did all of this in under a month, which is…well…pretty insane. Just by cutting back on my wanikani it was like a whole world of time opened up for me, but I don’t think my time watching these shows was very productive, which made me want to reach out to you guys, Stillman777.

Where could I find the original manga for these anime? What e-reader works best on apple macbooks and apple phones?

My understanding of sentence structure is still at the N5 Level, primarily because I’m good at cyphering, (Japanese is my third of six languages I study) not so much because I actually study and understand grammar so it’s really difficult for me to navigate completely Japanese websites, (no clue how to use Safarikai), but I really would like e-books of these manga and a means to study…sentence by sentence…word by word, all these wonderful manga that I loved and enjoyed.

Can you help me please? I’m really don’t know a damn thing about computers.

If you search at the forums there are many posts regarding on how to open an account at Amazon JP and Bookwalker JP. These are to two main sources for Japanese ebooks that people use.

2 Likes

how is the rosetta stone going

3 Likes

You stop that right now. :joy:

I can’t stop laughing :rofl:.

4 Likes

One place you can find them are here, here, and here respectively. I don’t have any meaningful experience with apple products, but with bookwalker you can click the book cover for a preview that opens in the browser app, so you can see if that’s acceptable for your needs that way. If you’ll be reading in a place with a steady internet connection, and don’t have issues with the browser app, then bookwalker doesn’t require installing anything special.

I found the sign-up easy and have never had any issues like needing a Japanese address or credit card or anything like that (I think I remember maybe having to enter some information in half-width alphanumeric, but otherwise super convenient and easy), so I’d definitely recommend it as a surprisingly easy way to get an extremely large amount of Japanese ebooks. You also might be interested in the Freebies thread where information about periodically free manga gets posted (I’ve seen the first few volumes of Parasyte go free-to-keep a few times this year so it might be a semi-regular occurance).

(there’s other, similarly easy alternatives out there, like Booklive, but as far I’ve seen the differences between them are pretty minor.)

3 Likes

It looks like some other people have given some recommendations for ereader material -
I don’t actually do a lot of reading online, but I know that Booklive.jp is one place you can
set up an account and buy manga. There are also tutorials online about how to sign up for an account,
since it’s all in Japanese.

My reading experience has been this:

1. I bought the ASK Publishing graded readers. にほんご よむよむ文庫 Japanese Graded Readers – アスク出版 日本語教材

These books are some of the best learning tools I have found. You might check to see if your library has any of them, if you don’t want to buy them. There are also digital versions available.

The books start at an N5 or even easier level and get progressively more difficult, in terms of grammar and sentence structure.

1. I found some easier books to read, like the Japanese translation of “Charlotte’s Web” -
    CDJapan : Sha Lot No Okurimono / Hara Title : Charlotte's Web E. B. White / Saku Ga Su Oui Rear Muzu / E Sakuma Yumiko / Yaku BOOK

2. I have continued to read easier books and I also read some manga, which I buy on ebay or
    at cdjapan.com - I mostly read physical books instead of ebooks.

I think manga can actually be hardest to read, depending on the genre and reading level. A children’s book that has fairly simple sentences can be a good place to start.

But, if you have already read a manga in English, try finding the Japanese
version online or for sale on ebay. If you already know the plot, you can just read
for pleasure and skip words you don’t know or look things up selectively.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

I would also want to add Satori Reader, it’s great for this purpose. I already wrote what I like about it on another thread so I’m just going to paste it here.

1. Suitable for beginners to advanced level. There are quite a lot of content in Satori Reader, ranging from fantasy, thriller, mystery, even real-life content like news and interview (some of it are made up, though the content itself is close to real news)
  2. Translation. Every chapter and sentence has a translation. They often add extra grammar explanations on tricky and complex sentences or obscure references that only Japanese people know.
  3. Customizable. You can choose to show furigana on a kanji that you don’t know and hide furigana from kanji that you already know. You can add your own kanji list or connect it through wanikani API to match your wk level.
  4. Audio. Every chapter has audio. The narrator is a native Japanese speaker, so you can practice listening skills too.
  5. Bite-sized. Every chapter is quite short, so it’s perfect for busy people, or if you like to do repetition like me.

You could try it for free, though it’s limited only to the first two chapters for every series.

It’s available on Android, iPhone, and you can open it via browser if you are on a computer.

4 Likes

I also second this recommendation for the ASK Publishing readers, although they can be quite expensive to buy new. If you’re in contact with other Japanese learners in your community (or here on Wanikani) it might be worth seeing if anyone has a set they’ve outgrown that they’d be willing to part with. @Stillman777, if you don’t mind me asking, have you seen this particular brand of readers for sale in digital? I’d love to know more.

PIBO’s not bad for this either - you’ll need to manually look out for older kids’ books though unless you’re a subscriber I believe.

1 Like

It seems like the digital versions have been taken off the App Store - some are available, but the pictures don’t match up with the books I am familiar with:

I think tahubulat’s recommendation of Satori Reader is a great alternative. I agree that the ASK books are expensive. Then again, the amount of value I’ve gotten out of them makes them the best investment I have made in learning to read!

1 Like

Ah, it looks like these are the readers by White Rabbit! I have come across these, but they somehow didn’t grab me quite as well as the ones that NPO puts out for ASK. Thank you for looking though. :slight_smile:

edit: I just noticed something quite odd. The OMGJapan page for the NPO readers has a link to audio samples… which are hosted on the White Rabbit Press soundcloud! So perhaps they are the same company under the hood.

I would definitely second (or quadruple at this point) reading + Anki & Yomichan, but also pay some attention to what you put into your Anki decks. From your immersion studies you should have a feel for which words are more common or more modern than others so super archaic words are probably not worth it if staying efficient is the goal. No 里心s :joy: .

You mentioned watching plenty of shows in Japanese, but you didn’t mention what you got out of it or intended to :slight_smile: . Were you after just general listening practice / immersion or more interesting vocab?

Definitely 100% this.

People already suggested Bookwalker and Amazon JP. There is also this online bookstore called Verasia: https://verasia.eu/ which does deliveries within Europe.
I got my grammar books from there, but they also do manga and light novels.

If you want to be able to study sentences word by word, regular books might be better suited. I get mine at Aozora Bunko: https://www.aozora.gr.jp/
Many of the books are old (like old kanji orthography old), but some modern enough that you can get pretty far with them. Here’s the main thread on WaniKani forums with a link to a spreadsheet with a list of Aozora books sorted by WaniKani level: Here, Have a List of Aozora Books by WK Level

I occasionally write there about the books/stories I’ve read so far.

2 Likes