Using Storage

Often when I visit the WK homepage I get this popup… At first it was 1GB, then 1.4, 1.6, now 1.8. What does WaniKani need all this storage for? Or is it just Safari being weird?

3 Likes

I use Safari and have never seen that popup before.

What if any userscripts are you running? Maybe one of those are the cause? If you are running any do you get the pop still if they are disabled?

7 Likes

It looks like a scam popup to me. I wouldn’t click on that…

3 Likes

Nope, it’s a legit Safari pop up.

2 Likes

I think the normal limit on most browsers for per-site storage is something like 50MB for IndexedDB, 5 or 10MB for localStorage. I can’t fathom how a site can ask for a gigabyte or more.

7 Likes

I have a Mac as well and I’ve never seen this. Like what do you even download on WaniKani? Did I miss something? Maybe you are in year 2021 where WK is doing video tutorials as well.

2 Likes

Okay, seems like it’s a bug in Safari and Calypso.
Supposedly addressed in Calypso about 15 days ago. Not sure about Safari.

12 Likes

Especially because the majority of WK is text.

1 Like

1 durt is about 42+ MB so you do need a lot of RAM

12 Likes

I’ve deleted all local data (shame Safari doesn’t let you see what it is, or how much) and temporarily deactivated all but the most essential extensions. Will try to diagnose what’s causing this.

My theory was that maybe it’s caching the audio files for each item locally, but on second thought the total size of WaniKani audio files is probably a fraction of what Safari was asking me to store here.

1 Like

A lot of RAMs…

2 Likes

Possibly downloading all the speech recordings?

You can do that on tsurukame and it uses very little space.

2 Likes

The rule of thumb with IndexedDB is that it can take up to 6% of your free disk space before it is refused.

There isn’t a specific limit for it.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the reason I suggested it since I just downloaded the files recently and remember it taking around 1GB or so. More so recently with both male and female voices and the multiple readings available.

1 Like

Update: I’ve been slowly turning extensions back on. Been running this list for the last few days and no popups yet. Will keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Got a popup again this morning, for 1.2GB storage. This time I clicked don’t allow, maybe if something breaks that will give a clue as to what’s causing it?

3 Likes

Hi, I’m late for this thread. Recently I also have popup for 1.8GB storage in safari, have you found out what’s causing it?

Thanks!

I just now got the 1.2GB pop up. Does anybody know what’s up with this?

Thanks!

It’s just Safari being a crappy browser

1 Like