[Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap

That makes sense, and i appreciate it!

When I do my reviews on Tsurukame it doesnā€™t sync up with the heatmap for some reason, I tried doing a couple lessons and they actually synced up, the reviews just refuse to sync and itā€™s been like this for 3 days, any ideas for a fix?

1 Like

API changes. Reviews are not going to sync unless Wanikani changes the API. So currently all reviews you have in the heatmap are local-only.

Lesson API didnā€™t get limited as thereā€™s a lot less of them.

TL;DR: Sadly no fix. (Other than adding the reviews manually)

1 Like

You can add reviews manually through the reviews tab in the settings menuā€¦ But otherwise thereā€™s sadly nothing to be done.

1 Like

Encountered an interesting feature (?) today. Donā€™t think it requires a fix or change of any kind, but might make for an interesting read. It concerns the review cache script.

Situation

Had 10 kana vocabulary reviews this morning. Did 悭惭 first. After completing, my review summary script mentioned I had done 10 reviews, and then only displayed 9 of them, without kilo. Heatmap is showing 10 reviews, but only 9 apprentice. 10 Items are shown, but only +9 stage advance

Closer inspection reveals that the review cache itself is missing the stage indication for kilo (item 0 was the first review of today, item 1 the review after)

What I think is going on

The review cache keeps track of done reviews, but populates the stage information in a done review based on an id->stage list thatā€™s created ā€˜up frontā€™ (up front but async).
Since kana vocab requires only 1 answer to complete the review it looks like the review completed before the id->stage list was complete? I have no other explanation for the missing stage information.

I didnā€™t think a list of 9000 took more than 1 millisecond to process though, so Iā€™m assuming my browser was just off doing something else and loaded the script really late.
So in situations where the browser loads the script late (based off of an order heatmap/review cache has no say in), kana vocab or radicals, both only needing 1 answer, could sometimes miss out on the stage info in the registered review.
I think.

2 Likes

That does sound plausible. Iā€™ll see if I can take a look myself this weekend

2 Likes

This looks awesome but I have no idea how to actually use it. I have Tampermonkey installed and the script loaded in and enabled. How do I navigate to the actual heatmap?

1 Like

It should load on the dashboard once you have done some reviews. Note that it is currently unable to retrieve past reviews as WK has shut down access to that data

1 Like

My dashboard looks like this:

I must be completely missing it.

It is located below the Level Progress section, if you keep on scrolling you should find it.
See photo below:

I must be missing some other software requirements. I tried installing the script on Chrome and Brave, neither browsers seem to have it on the page. I am not skilled with this stuff, so I am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting.

Did you make sure you have Wanikani Open Framework? Wanikani Open Framework

First uninstall heatmap, install Wanikani Open Framework and install heatmap again

Yep, I had it installed. I followed the steps again and still nothing.
EDIT: Ok, I think this did it!! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Had you done any reviews in that same browser after installing?

Wow, should have read the thread before removing the cache to try and get it working again. Was logging in to WK via web once in a blue moon and saw that the heatmap stopped showing reviews since sometime in March. Last streak was 1391.
So every third party app that needs review history is now defunct? Thatā€™s kinda sad, lol. Tho understandable, I guess. Has to be gazillion reviews they keep.

4 Likes

It is very sad

3 Likes

My heatmap just disappeared a while ago and I canā€™t get it backā€¦ Tried to uninstall the heatmap, reinstall Wanikani Open Framework and install heatmap again. Even emptied the cache and cookies and buns and damn sandwiches and still nothing :sob:

1 Like

Okay, the heatmap came back suddenly, but it ate my Dashboard Progress Plus :joy:

2 Likes

If you clear cache then the Heatmap will not show up until you do some reviews again. If you havenā€™t been following along we no longer have access to historical data, so it can only keep track of reviews completed in the browser where it is installed

3 Likes

:scream: Oh no! Iā€™ve been doing reviews on my phone for months. Just (re)installed heatmap on the little travel laptop. Guess Iā€™ll try to stick to one browser going forward. :confused:

1 Like