[Userscript] Community Mnemonics (v0.9.7.8)

You are probably referring to https://community.wanikani.com/t/should-wanikani-save-peoples-mnemonics ?There were also a lot of people who were not a big fan of the idea either since users could be submitting unpleasant stuff and too few people would be using it. I had a look at the data and there indeed doesn’t seem to be a lot there yet.

Ideally, some higher level users who already have written a lot of mnemonics could export these (I would have to write a little script for that unless there already is a note exporter script somewhere), go through them to see if there is anything they don’t want to share and I could import them into the dataset. But I don’t know if anyone would be interested in doing that.

So todos from my perspective would be:

• Sanitize data to avoid XSS attacks as mentioned by above. There is already some of that logic in place to do this, I would probably just do that again before showing the data (in case someone had modified it directly in the Google doc)
  • Fix script so that it runs on all types of pages (at least lessons and kanji currently don’t seem to be working)
  • Optional, later: build a small tool that lets people bulk export their notes so that I can import them to the existing data set.
  • Also optional: have a small statistic somewhere that lists users and the votes that they received on their mnemonics so that people would be motivated to contribute and so that we can thank them for putting in the effort

I’m lying in bed sick right now and don’t have the energy to get started on this but I’m still not opposed to the idea.

2 Likes