[Userscript] Anki Mode

I have published an update. I had to basically spoof the answer form and hide the WaniKani one. I have tested it some and it appears to be working for me. I have turned it off for now by default although to allow for several days of testing before I turn it on by default. You can go to the experimental tab in the settings to turn it on. Let me know how it works for you.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.07.43 AM

1 Like

So, just tried. Not working fine

as soon as the item appears it shows already the answer without me needing to type spacebar first :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Hmm. This isnā€™t occurring for me. What keybinds are you using? Have you also tried refreshing the page after enabling the feature?

1 Like

the usual: 1 for right, 2 for wrong and space bar to show answer first.

but as soon as the review starts the answer is already there.

1 Like

I just pushed a fix. Please let me know if it solves your issue.

1 Like

Is it possible to enable anki mode only for Meanings, but still require Readings to be typed? Also, seems Enter doesnā€™t work as a hotkey ā€“ not sure whether this is intentional.

almost there!

when I go to next item, it keeps previous answer, is there a way to clear it when new item appears?

Based on your UI it looks like you are still on 2.2.0. Could you confirm that you have 2.2.1 installed? Also, I actually forgot to test it with lightning mode. That could be whatā€™s causing the issue. I will take a look after work tonight.

1 Like

Is it possible to enable anki mode only for Meanings, but still require Readings to be typed?

Yeah, itā€™s possible. I could try adding it as an experimental feature to see how it would flow with what we currently have.

Also, seems Enter doesnā€™t work as a hotkey ā€“ not sure whether this is intentional.

Yes, enter cannot be used as it would conflict with other default WaniKani behavior.

2 Likes

Thatā€™d be great. Iā€™ve always avoided anki mode since I feel like typing helps my retention for readings. But lately Iā€™ve been interested in seeing whether itā€™d be useful for Meanings, especially in longer review sessions.

I admittedly donā€™t fully understand what Iā€™m doing lolā€¦but I tried changing this: :arrow_down:

//Start ankimode events
    settings.ankimode_enabled ? ankimode_start() : ankimode_stop();

ā€¦to this :arrow_down:

//Start ankimode events
    $.jStorage.listenKeyChange('currentItem', readingOrMeaning);
    function readingOrMeaning() {
        var qType = $.jStorage.get("questionType");
            if (qType === "reading") {
                ankimode_stop();
            }
            if (qType === "meaning") {
                ankimode_start();
           }
    }

It seems to be working as Iā€™d hoped. The only strange behavior Iā€™ve noticed is that the first card in the batch displays all the anki buttons :arrow_down:

(reversed the order of Donā€™t Know ā€“ Know to match my hotkeys)

1 Like

2.2.1 installed

1 Like

Okay, I fixed one bug that was occuring during all reviews with the new feature and also fixed several that were happening with the lighting mode from double check. Please update and try again. Crossing my fingers :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t think it will mess up any submitted answers or anything but it may result in some weird behavior. I will try to get a experimental feature out for you to play with. Ideally I would keep in in anki mode but just allow you to type when that option is selected in the settings. I donā€™t see it taking long to implement. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow depending on my workload.

1 Like

working great!

thank you so much

1 Like

I have added support for this feature in update 2.2.3. I just released the update so please play around with it and let me know if itā€™s what you had in mind. To turn it on just go to the experimental features tab in the anki mode script settings. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Since I use [Kā†Donā€™t Know] ā€” [Lā†’Know], I still reversed the button positions to match my hotkeys. Not that important, just a visual preference to avoid confusion. Did a couple small review batches with the update though and itā€™s working great ā€“ thanks!

1 Like

Awesome. Glad you like it. Let me know if you run into any issues. After enough use and testing ill move it to just an options tab. Iā€™ll also add an option to reverse the button orders for you too. That way you donā€™t have to go in an add it every script update.

1 Like

I just pushed version 2.2.4. You should be able to reverse the button order now from the option tab of the anki mode script settings.

1 Like

2.2.4 working well. Appreciate it :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for this script.

1 Like