User Setting for Number of Today’s Lessons

We have just released an update that allows you to set the number of lessons you would like to do each day. You can read more about the change here.

36 Likes

Excellent addition! Good job :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for adding the setting and allowing the flexibility! I know it was only a minor problem before but I appreciate the change.

1 Like

I loved this update! Thanks a bunch!

i don’t know if anyone has already suggested this, but if there was a way of previewing the vocabulary meaning on the lesson picker when hovering the item, it would also help a lot. That way we can decide which items to prioritize more easily.

Thank you!

1 Like

I am pleasantly surprised to see this update. My experience with Wanikani so far had been that the developing team did not listen to user feedback on many occasions, and I am very happy to see this small change happening.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Can we please get a Daily Review time setting?

I understand that for people looking to speed run Wanikani that getting reviews all throughout the day can be a benefit. But for me I work full time on flexible hours so it ends up a lot of the time I can’t get all my reviews as they’ll come later in the day (When I’m working).

EG

Lets say it hits 5pm
All my reviews become available regardless of when they were supposed to come through on that particular day. Wanikani already knows what reviews I’m going to have for the day, just that they get timegated for no good reason.

2 Likes

I spent years doing Wanikani reviews just once a day and I don’t see the problem. You can just do any reviews that come due later in the day in your next session tomorrow after all. It’s not any different than if you had reviews come due at say 3am - you’d still do them the following morning in either case, right?

5 Likes

@tofugu-scott: Thank you!! <3

@l_l: I can definitely appreciate both perspectives. But I think that what @rustx may be dealing with is something like…depending on your schedule (work, sleep, etc.), if reviews come up just when the workday starts, it may be nearly a full 24 hours before you can get to them; and if you do them then, the time it takes to get through them will push the time forward even further, until they end up getting pushed forward yet one more day due to the timing with regard to the next workday. Over time that could really compound, just because you couldn’t put off work for an hour or something…

Anyway, I can appreciate the argument that this could be a slippery slope with regard to SRS timing becoming too flexible, negating the cognitive benefits, but…surely there must be some room for elasticity since the human brain isn’t on an actual timer (and everyone is different anyway).

@Mods: What do y’all think? :slight_smile:

I would find this idea useful too, but I imagine it would have to be implemented carefully as @brenty has said. I do have time to do reviews throughout the day, but I’ll often have a longer chunk of time in the evening and find myself wishing I had more reviews to do during that time.

1 Like

You can use yomitan to achieve this.

2 Likes

No if they came in at 3AM then I would be able to do them at any point of the day, regardless of when I have access to my computer (As I don’t work at 3AM).

I don’t get why there’s so much resistance to this every time I’ve mentioned it somewhere on the site. Wanikani already knows the exact reviews you’re going to have multiple days in advance, it would be actually be simpler logic, currently they have it setup to work out by the hour what is provided for you in reviews, the setting I’m asking would filter the entire day when you click the review button (Or just have a period where it sets all the times to ready for that day).

Eitherway, its not acceptable when Bunpro, Anki, and multiple other SRS type services and programs all have this functionality but Wanikani being the biggest does not.

I’ve made it its own thread as to not derail this one. If you support the idea please feel free to post in that thread. @brenty @ratdamage

Please to consider @tofugu-scott

Generally I don’t like to talk about features at all before they are launched because until it is delivered the feature may get pulled or change. However I will say in this instance we do have something in the works that might address this issue. I can’t give a timeline but just letting you know a feature like this is moving through the Feature log.

10 Likes

I’m very happy to hear that, thanks especially if its not something you’d give notice for normally. As I plan to do more lessons then I normally do so having something like this (doesn’t really matter how its done) would greatly help my learning experience in not missing reviews I should have had.

this was pretty helpful, thanks!

still wish there was a way of applying filters to the lessons so that you can mark items you don’t want to learn though :laughing:

This has got to be one of the most useless updates ive ever seen.
Its great that i can now increase the lessons to 100, but its still giving me a mix of items
unless i enter the lessons with advanced, so this update does exactly nothing for me.

Is there a particular reason you don’t want to see a mix of items?

Japanese “in the wild” is definitely very mixed, so I’m curious too. :thinking: