Updates to Lessons, Reviews, and Extra Study

Could you use the spacebar to scroll? I had banked on keyboard users pressing the f key to display the item info, using the e to expand and collapsed the sections, and using the space to scroll. Then mouse users would click and scroll with the mouse wheel.

2 Likes

It’s an ordinary 1920x1080 resolution, but some place taken by browser tabs and address bar. Honestly, I didn’t experience any issues with current interface, I don’t remember any header jumps. Even if there any, I’d prefer having this thing jumping, but seeing the buttons and the tooltip under the input field.

1 Like

Could you check you are not zoomed in? When I check with that aspect ratio it seems fine. When I zoom to 150% then I get the same result that you posted in your first screenshot.

@ 1920 x 1080

@1920 x 886 (I couldn’t quite zone in to 892px)

@1920 x 886 zoomed in to 150%

1 Like

Ah - I hadn’t realised that was an option. It does work, although still obviously implies an extra step in the process. If you don’t mind sharing, is there a specific reason behind not having it auto-scroll? Surely if someone presses f to display the item info then it’s reasonable to assume that they want to see the item info, and therefore should be fine to scroll them down to it. Or am I missing something?

2 Likes

No, I’m not zoomed in. I have a 14" notebook, so I guess it have 1.5 pixel ratio.

1 Like

I think it is a user preference as to whether it scrolls or not, and I also think it is unexpected to change the scroll position in this instance. It isn’t like clicking an anchor link where you would expect a scroll to occur.
However, leave it with me (I have taken the feedback onboard) and I will ask for other opinions internally.

2 Likes

This feels more like a support request, so could we move the conversation there and we can try to debug this a little further. Could you send an email to support, with as much information about your device (browser, os, device make and model). Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi, @tofugu-scott

More feedback re: scroll behavior.

Running full screen on a 1280x800 laptop:

1. After answering correctly, the “Did you know
” prompt causes a small amount of content shift / scrolling (one line-height worth it seems).

It’s only a minor annoyance, and probably a PITA to fix, but I feel additional info popups like the “Did you know
” overlay (that weren’t explicitly requested) shouldn’t shift the subject location on the screen. (Not sure, but the simplest fix might be to ensure the popup text always fits on one line: “This item has multiple 
” without the “Did you know”.)

2. Typing “f” after answering does not scroll unless/until you also type a space (as reported by @Hubbit200).

This seems counter to the intended user experience (no jumping of the primary subject div as you navigate from screen to screen). I agree with @Hubbit200 that it seems preferable to actually display the information the user explicitly requested when they typed “f” (without requiring them to take another yet another action like hitting the spacebar or scrolling).

The fixed height decision was correct (boy howdy – jumping subject location during review sessions would drive me insane) but explicitly asking for content to be replaced seems like a reasonable exception. My preference still be not to scroll, but to overlay with a scrollable div at a higher z-height. If partial (or even total) overlay isn’t feasible, automatically scrolling the content still seems better than making the user do it explicitly, though.

10 Likes

@Rrwrex Thanks for the screenshots, that really helped.
@Hubbit200 I have asked around too and the consensus seems to be to add in the autoscroll.

I will let you know once this is done and on preview. Thanks for your patience.

9 Likes

One more tiny nit related to scroll behavior:

This might be browser/platform specific, but if I hit space to scroll on a page, then navigating to all subsequent review pages leaves the screen scrolled slightly, hiding the progress bar up top, and obscuring the info in the upper right:

4 Likes

Thanks Scott! This is I believe exactly how it used to be. Perfect!

6 Likes

It is browser specific but I don’t think you should have to have scrolled here. Leave it with me as I am going to make some adjustments to the header height and font sizes to bring them down a little. I will let you know once there is an update.

@HotAirGun just letting you know too.

7 Likes

This to me sounds straight up like you have display scaling on. Some high pixel density laptops do it by default to make the text actually legible.

1 Like

@Rrwrex @Hubbit200 I have now deployed autoscroll when you open the last items, item info, and the kana chart. As content is now loaded from the server in the case of item-info, the scroll will only happen after the content is loaded.

10 Likes

Just tried out the preview on mobile, I really love the QOL change to the keyboard not disappearing! Thanks for doing that :smiley:

4 Likes

I thought it might be useful to have a library script that offers easier access to reordering functionality for userscript authors, so I started creating WaniKani Queue Manipulator. It’s not well tested and likely needs more development time, but I wanted to release a first draft as soon as possible in case other userscript authors are interested in using such a library script.

It’s already pretty late, so I don’t want to write an extensive documentation yet. But it can be used in a similar way as my other library script, WaniKani Item Info Injector. Some examples:

let kanjiFilter = wkQueue.addFilter(q => q.filter(i => i.subject.subject_category === `Kanji`), {subject: true});
// to remove the filter: kanjiFilter.remove();
let levelSort = wkQueue.on(`review,extraStudy`).addReorder(q => q.sort((i0, i1) => i0.item.data.level - i1.item.data.level), {openFramework: true});
// Later Crabigator (push current item to the end of the queue)
wkQueue.applyManipulation(q => q.concat(q.shift()));

It targets the new WK queue code, so currently it only works on preview.wanikani.com.

8 Likes

@tofugu-scott I just noticed a display problem: If I reduce the width of the browser window until the Pattern of Use section switches to a vertical arrangement, an unneeded scrollbar appears. Tested with Edge and Firefox.

2 Likes

Nice! I’m glad I put off working on Omega until the weekend. I’ll definitely take a look at this

2 Likes

In case you decide to use it in Reorder Omega, let me know if something does not work and I can try to improve it. Or I could also upload it to github and accept pull requests.

Currently, it only supports changing the review, extra study, and lesson quiz queue. Lesson reordering is still on my todo list, but I don’t know when I will find the time for it. This weekend I wanted to focus on updating Item Info Injector.

3 Likes

Just want to make sure you are aware that the queue order for lessons is really easy to manage as it is powered completely by the queue url parameter. e.g. https://preview.wanikani.com/subjects/1/lesson?queue=1-2-3-4-5-6 will show lessons for subjects with ids 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in that order (if you want a different lesson order just change the queue order).

The lesson quiz works the same (with a passed in queue url parameter) but the queue is shuffled on the server before it is sent to the client, but you can reorder this the same way you would with reviews and extra-study as the code is all the same now.

6 Likes