Undertale in Japanese

Undertale has undergone an official Japanese localisation effort. Great Japanese practice.

3 Likes

They’re going old school with kanas only?

From what I’ve heard kana only was pretty common in the older days of video games.

I don’t really like undertale but there are a lot of switch and 3DS games that I have been/plan to use for reading practice once my vocab improves.

1 Like

So there’s not really that much kanji in Undertale? Or is it that different characters speak differently like in the English version,

Oh awesome. I wanted to show my girlfriend the game, but her English is not at the level where she’d get anything out of the English version.

1 Like

Each character has their own text style, as in the English version. Characters even speak using specific personal pronouns that I assume Toby Fox thought would seem natural to each character.

1 Like

Even though I already have this game I’m gonna get it in JP just for kicks. Also, is that a new monster at 0:44?? I don’t remember seeing them before…

This topic is a bit old, but I started to play it and while the characters speak in kana-only (so far), signs have kanji, so I guess there will be more kanji along the way. Nevertheless, it might still be a good practice for remembering words if you can only read them or listen to them, but don’t have access to the kanji (so it’s a good listening practice, kind of).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.