Typing takes way too long

I’ve been on the iKnow “3 months free” trial for a bit over a month. They have a “quick review” option, where yeah, the kanji/vocab shows up and they just ask “do you know it?” and you click yes/no.

DONE. So fast. I did it once not really knowing how useless it would be (for me).  But if you’re 100% confident in some items, it’s a good way to get them out of your SRS.

When it comes to kanji, I’m for sure a beginner.

emin said... Well, there is no script for dictating. I initially wanted to suggest him to use things like Siri, but you'd have to change the keyboard/language for it every single time, and the Japanese Siri is not that great for dictation. It would either won't find the exact term you want, or when it finds the correct item, most likely input the Kanji instead of Kana.
 there are actually some things for speech recognition
a userscript for chrome: /t/Userscript-Speech-Recognition-Experiment/9946/1
an extension for chrome: /t/Wanikani-Speech-Recognition/6696/1

1 Like

I agree… Sometimes I wish there was some sort of speech to text option, but then I realize my pronunciation is terrible, and then I just do my reviews.

Or if you have lots of money, a proper works with everything on your whole computer program like Dragon Naturally Speaking, could do the trick. Not sure if/how it recognizes languages other than English, however. Surely there are settings for that, or, if not, you could find either the Japanese version of the program, or a similar program if you searched for it.

1 Like

I agree that maybe if the difficulty comes from typing, then it should be the first thing to learn, especially now that we type so much everyday for everything. Once this problem solved, I don’t think time will be a problem (for this at least).

ShotgunLagoon said...
emin said... Well, there is no script for dictating. I initially wanted to suggest him to use things like Siri, but you'd have to change the keyboard/language for it every single time, and the Japanese Siri is not that great for dictation. It would either won't find the exact term you want, or when it finds the correct item, most likely input the Kanji instead of Kana.
 there are actually some things for speech recognition
a userscript for chrome: /t/Userscript-Speech-Recognition-Experiment/9946/1
an extension for chrome: /t/Wanikani-Speech-Recognition/6696/1

oh, I forgot about those. thanks shotty.

Is there a script that just says “Do You know Japanese Y/N?”

And if I hit Y it tells me how cool I am, even though I did nothing and could never have a conversation in Japanese? 

Syphus said... Is there a script that just says "Do You know Japanese Y/N?"

And if I hit Y it tells me how cool I am, even though I did nothing and could never have a conversation in Japanese? 
 I feel like this is something we could very easily convince Ethan to make.
hinekidori said...  You can input the answer in Anki.
I have tried your Anki theme, but it's still error-prone in the sense that I can type the answer correctly, then incorrectly press Again, or type it incorrectly and press Good by mistake, and that seems sort of hacky. It seems like it would be possible to fix that with plugins but that would need quite some time, I wish it was built-in functionality...

I’m not joking, this is a legitimate attempt to help

When I was in middle school I couldn’t type well at all.  Then in computer class the first thing we did everyday as we arrived would be to go to a typing website for a few minutes before the teacher was ready to start the lesson.  It helped immensely and now I can type rather well.

Here is that website:
http://www.freetypinggame.net/free-typing-test.asp

I don’t have a issue with typing, I use my phone. I’m just looking for something similar to anki: Question > flip card> answer> know this? Yes/no. This would make things go WAY faster and I won’t be intimidated by a large review pile and neglect my lessons. Thank you to those that gave resources, I’ll check them out. And to the smartasses, broh.

Some people are determined to cheat themselves.
Or perhaps they’re in denial? Although being aware of denial is fairly paradoxical.

Murtada said... I don't have a issue with typing, I use my phone. I'm just looking for something similar to anki: Question > flip card> answer> know this? Yes/no. This would make things go WAY faster and I won't be intimidated by a large review pile and neglect my lessons. Thank you to those that gave resources, I'll check them out. And to the smartasses, broh.
 Such a system puts too much faith in the user. You may *think* you remember it, but you're actually remembering incorrectly. If you continue on in this way you'll end up with fossilized errors in your learning. Plenty of times I've answered a WK meaning or reading with 100% assurance that I knew I was right, only to be shown that yup, I was misreading or mis-remembering. WK confirms that you do in fact actually know it, and quizzing becomes absolutely necessary when you've got thousands of items to remember, many of them low-frequency (so you don't encounter them incidentally through other learning resources).
1 Like
Murtada said...I'm just looking for something similar to anki: Question > flip card> answer> know this? Yes/no.
There are several studies that show a very low retention and integration rate for Yes/No-style learning (and multiple-choice, too).
I think you will eventually discover that you are learning a lot less than you think you are learning.

As daveyyoung confirms above, there is the problem of confirmation bias (unknowingly, but incorrectly, confirming incorrect knowledge).
Also, motor memory -- a byproduct of typing or writing an answer -- is a powerful aid to long-term memorization.  Without it, you will find your memory fades a lot faster... and unfortunately, you may be months in before you discover whether this is true.

It's your choice, of course.  Just wanted to let you know, because I've seen several users discover that the hard way.

Whatever you decide, 頑張ってください.
rfindley said...
Murtada said...I'm just looking for something similar to anki: Question > flip card> answer> know this? Yes/no.
There are several studies that show a very low retention and integration rate for Yes/No-style learning (and multiple-choice, too).
I think you will eventually discover that you are learning a lot less than you think you are learning.

It's your choice, of course.  Just wanted to let you know, because I've seen several users discover that the hard way.
 Which is why I threw my Anki decks to typed fields a while ago, and if I slip up remembering anything I'll always 'again' it and re-queue it in the system.

It's more a matter of how well you can self-assess yourself. And if you ever have to question or try to justify the answer, always reset it with 'again'.
ivanpellegrin said...
Murtada said... I don't have a issue with typing, I use my phone.
I was curious when I read this and I googled, 'How fast can one type on a smartphone?' (I still have a dumbphone, yes, I know ... ;)

I found an article that suggests 25wpm. 

Now when I compare it to 60 to 80 wpm with a keyboard, typing on a phone "on the go" seems to be a real pain in the ... thumb. :/ 

I haven't seen any satisfactory solutions to this problem, not just for wanikani, but in general I mean, whenever you need to type on your phone something longer than a phone number.
 yeah, a lot of people choose to postpone larger review piles rather than attempt to do them on mobile, myself included. i'll do up to 50 with a little grumbling, but past that i find it too slow and frustrating to suffer through.

If you’re on mobile, a good keyboard will work wonders and can even double your output speed sometimes. I personally love the Swype-style ones. 

You have to use your hands? That’s like a baby’s toy!

Anyway, for your answer there isnt actually a program that will allow you to do that on your phone or mobile (at least not on the android side.) Though there is a userscript for when you’re on the pc, but it’d be best not to use it then.

rfindley said...There are several studies that ...
 Care to share links to those studies?