Trying to get my apprentice to 0

Hey hello,

Since I am constantly doing my lessons whenever they appear, I have created quite a few leeches on which I don’t spend a lot of time. I was thinking on taking a break regarding lessons and just do reviews for a while to get my apprentice items down, with a final goal of reaching 0 apprentice items before going on with my lessons. I tried this a few times before, but the tantalizing ability to learn new kanji is always too great and I end up doing my lessons anyway. I was wondering, is it even a good idea to get my apprentice items to 0 first? Or should I just leave those stubborn leeches for a while and go on with lessons at 10 apprentice levels? Does anyone have experience with this?

4 Likes

No, it’s not worth it. There will almost always be something dropping back to Apprentice, so this will more than likely be a waste of time.

However, the rest of your idea is good if you’re being overwhelmed by apprentice items and/or leeches. Stopping lessons for a while to just do reviews (and optionally use a leech training script) can be really beneficial.

7 Likes

Instead of aiming for zero, aim for a consistent threshold to keep them at - say 100 or so. Stop lessons until your apprentice items go below 100. Then do lessons until you’re back up to 100. Rinse and repeat. This is a good way to set your pacing and will let you know when there are a lot of problem items (as your apprentice items will start to creep above your threshold). And if there are problem items, you can use the leech and self-study scripts floating around. Happy studying!

6 Likes

I usually do my lessons en masse, but maybe I should switch to your side and pace myself. I’ll give that a go, thanks!

1 Like

If you’re interested, this script can help you do a set number of lessons each day in (what I think is) a convenient way.

3 Likes

I reached level 60 three years ago, and yet…

One thing to keep in mind is that apprentice has 4 SRS levels, and when you get an item wrong it gets knocked back 2 levels, so you really have to be perfect to get zero.

7 Likes

This is correct! You remembered numbers!

3 Likes

Thanks! Also thanks to the edit button for letting me pretend like I remember numbers

:joy:

3 Likes

i’m having a break right now. not because i felt overwhelmed though, but because i wasn’t satisfied with my recall outside of WK. i’ll restart lessons when i feel ready. over half of it is done, and there’s no hurry to speed up now. will probably move to 40 quickly then.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.