Truandissimo‘s Study Log

Book clubs! There have been a few different reads in the Absolute Beginner Book Clubs since Shirokuma Cafe, and often there’s grammar breakdowns included in the weekly discussions (especially early on). There’s where at least a quarter of my grammar learning has been this past year and a half.

3 Likes

thanks, Christopher, for the heads up! will check!

1 Like

Level 12. I will now finish all the vocab from lesson 11, take a one week break from lessons from level 12, and hit zero Apprentice, while mastering as many Guru items as possible.

Then go for 7 day levels again. Sort of a refuel break on the highway.

EDIT: not going for fast levels anymore. Will take it slow, I have other things I want to do. More reading, italki, grammar. I will try changing the order to Radical-Vocab-Kanji and see what it does to me. And maybe 15 lessons a day.

3 Likes

OK, I just hit zero Apprentice. Onwards!

2 Likes

Level 15. My new concept, which is having exactly 80 Apprentice at all times, is paying off.

Everything is smoothing out. Still have some bumps from previous lessons, but basically stress levels are way down. I will keep doing this and not worry about speed.

5 Likes

Nice! It’s often recommended to keep apprentice items below 100 to manage the workload, 80 sounds good as well, of course it should depend on the person.
Keep it up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! Actually, I upped it to 100 this week, I can handle it at the moment. I am trying to find out if it makes a difference at all, speedwise, not sure it does. Because lets say (for simplicity) it takes you 8 days to level up, and you do 20 items every day, so you have 80 items after 4 days when the second Kanji come, and the first 20 guru.

With 100 it’s the same, you always move forward by 20, so all it changes is that you’re 20 items ahead. Which is only 1 day ahead when you get to sixty.

Right?..? Or am I missing something?

Wouldn’t it be one day faster for every level? Because the same happens again next level, unless you still have a lot of apprentice items left. Actually i think you’ll always have apprentice items left over from last level. So yeah, not sure how the math checks out :wink: but my intuition is that it should be a bit faster.

1 Like

So I hit 21 today and I‘m in pretty good shape.

Will take a break until my Apprentice hits zero and then continue, as I did 10 levels ago.

4 Likes

I decided to keep going, it was fairly easy. A few are shaky, but all in all quite a smooth ride.

Onwards!
And this is my load:

3 Likes

That graph is so aesthetically pleasing :smile:

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

How are things with you? How is this past 60 WK life going? Still doing your reviews? Is the load decreasing?

Would love to know more. Cheers.

1 Like

Ahh the reviews were going down a bit as I was working on clearing out some leeches before finishing off the rest of my lessons. I had such a busy week last week that I barely did any reviews so I kinda have like 600 reviews at the moment :sweat_smile:

Going to try and sort that pile out this week and then keep going. I do still want to try and burn everything but I don’t want WK to take up as much of my time as it used to, it’s just trying to find that balance.

Must be difficult to stay motivated after reaching your goal, I imagine.

Just keep going, even if the goal is less clear and the rewards less obvious.

Rooting for ya!

1 Like

Found the perfect routine for seven day Level-ups:

1. Do the following maths:
    (Number of vocab from last lesson + number of radicals from new lesson + number of kanji from new lesson) divided through 7

2. that’s the number of new lessons for each day (eg 22) during this 7 day level (changes for every level)

3. Upon level up, do the radicals immediately, add one third of the new kanji and fill the rest up with vocab from the last level until total calculated before.

4. day two: one third of new kanji plus vocab from last level.

5. day three: as above

6. after you guru the radicals, immediately do the rest of the kanji, fill up if necessary

7. day 4-7 finish the vocab from last lesson by chunks of the calculated number (eg 22)

Advantages:

• You level up every week
  • you finished the last level when the new level starts
  • You do all your vocab
  • Your workload stays the same
  • You enforce the Kanji from last level with vocab when they‘re guru but still a little shaky.

Sounds more complicated than it is.

You can do the same concept for any number of days, doesn’t have to be seven.

1 Like

Hello again. I just levelled up to level 24 - so far still smooth sailing. See you in a week.

2 Likes

You caught up so quick!
Do you think you’ll slow down once you reach your reset level?

1 Like

Hard to say buddy. I will continue exactly like I did so far, and once I hit level 31 I‘ll see how I feel. Maybe it will be too much.

But I prepared well by avoiding peaks, so maybe I‘ll be alright.

Mach’s weiterhin gut, Zeus, Du machst ja stetig Fortschritte, und letztendlich ist das Tempo egal.

1 Like

So I‘m in the middle of level 25, and it is getting harder. I can clearly see where I started speeding last year, as things are way less stable than before.

I can see that going as fast as possible is not good for long time memory, I experience it first hand as I am progressing through the levels for the second time.

I will probably start slowing down now, also on December 25 my first burn wave will be hitting me, so it would be wise to take it easy for a while.

Maybe 10 day levels?

Level 26, I guess I‘ll keep going at the same speed. But I miss more items now, so I think it’s the first time I‘m creating leeches.

I‘ll take it slower when I hit 31.

3 Likes