Torii - SRS learning application for vocabulary

Hey there, so I tried to download your Torii desktop app to give it a shot, but Chrome is blocking the download saying it is a malicious software.
Win 10 64
Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)

With IE I was then able to download it. On the first start it told me that “something went wrong”. It seems I had an old or outdated Java version installed. Might be good to add in the error description that one should check first if Java is up to date :slight_smile:

Also where did you grab the info of the JLPT Vocab list from?

And lastly, would it be possible to display the JLPT level for each vocab?

Thanks for the great work. I was looking for a good way to learn the additional vocab not covered by WK but am not a big fan of Anki.

@Andulien
I use rebrandly.com to shorten the download links, which Chrome seems to dislike for some reason. I tried to download the Torii client directly via the Google Drive link and there was no problem. But when it’s downloaded via said URL shortener, Chrome always marks it as ‘potentially unwanted software’. I guess I will just put back the direct download links on the website. Thanks for noticing!

So after updating your Java version, were you able to use Torii? Or do you still get an error message?

JLPT data was taken from Jonathan Waller’s JLPT Resource page.
Yup that’s definitely possible. I’ll add your request to the to-do list.

If there is any other issue or if you have more questions, please let me know.

Did you know that google has it’s own link shortener? https://goo.gl/ If you are sharing via GDrive, might be worth a look at.

Nup, no problem after I updated the Java Version. Hence my suggestion, to add a note on the error page that the first thing a new user should do if they get this error is to check java :slight_smile:

Awesome thank you again and keep up the great work :smiley:

Hi,

I didn’t want to send you yet another message to your e-mail, so I’ll just use this :stuck_out_tongue:
One thing that I would love to see implemented, if it’s at all possible, would be to have the “Critical Items” list be automatic instead of having to manually add items to it.

For example, if we fail an item on a review, it would be automatically added to this list and we would be able to practice these troubled items with extra quizzes. Then, when that item appeared on the next review and we guessed it correctly, it would again be taken off the list.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be a big help and a time-saver.

Thanks again for your hard work :wink:

The feature you’re talking about is something I have on my private possible features list, now that it’s a public request I’ll put it on the public Trello board :stuck_out_tongue: It will most likely be in the next software update.

As always, let me know if you have more questions or feature requests. E-mails are just fine too, no worries :wink:

Oh, that’d be great! It’s a really helpful feature. I’ve been doing this manually, but just by doing so, it improved my reviews already. If I can save time with an automatic list, I can spend it on extra practice quizzes :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing that I noticed, when practicing one list, is that the Endless feature is not very helpful. It shows more items than others, so it’s not as random as one would like. If there was a way to toggle between Endless and sequential, it would ensure that all the items on a list would be shown at least once. Hope I’m being understood correctly. It’s a minor issue, though.

Hey guys, I just released a new update. Nothing crazy, I just added a few requested features and did some bug fixing. Let me know if there are any issues.

New features

• It is now possible to browse/view/edit all unlocked vocabulary
  • The JLPT level of each word is now being displayed in study sessions
  • In Endless practice mode, it is now possible to practice items by their levels (Rookie, Amateur, etc)
  • The ‘Critical Condition Items’ list is now automated. A word is added to the list when it has just been reviewed and the average percentage of correct answers is <75%, and removed if it’s >75%
  • Each practice list now shows the number of items it contains
  • Added some more minor features not worth mentioning in detail

Bugfixes

• After changing the login password on one device, signing in on other devices wasn’t possible (unless manually deleting the cache folder)
  • Adding/editing custom vocab crashed the app in some cases
  • Some more minor fixes not worth mentioning in detail

Some things I’ve found from just having a quick play around.

When trying to add my own custom vocab, I am unable to add Kanji to the vocabulary field. Also, when playing my custom card in practice mode, it seems to crash the app. Not sure what causes that.

It would be nice to have a search feature for vocab one has not yet unlocked to add them immediately to our review queue at Rookie 1. Say for example I am reading a textbook, and find a new word, I want to add that to my review queue immediately (even if I have already completed my 25 lessons for the day) but may not want to create a custom card if one already exists in the 10k vocab!

Overall it seems like a nice app, but doesn’t quite suit my needs, as I’m tailoring my Anki cards to test me on conjugations. Good luck though!

The new version 1.2.5 doesn’t open at all in my Mac.

I tried the fix from the Troubleshooting, but same result

M̶a̶c̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶s̶:
̶I̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶i̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶M̶a̶c̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶(̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶r̶i̶s̶t̶m̶a̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶i̶d̶a̶y̶s̶)̶.̶ ̶I̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶(̶1̶.̶2̶.̶0̶)̶.̶

̶D̶o̶w̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶T̶o̶r̶i̶i̶ ̶S̶R̶S̶ ̶v̶1̶.̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶O̶S̶

Oh well, there was just a missing ‘-’ in the configuration file. The app should start fine now. Download links have been updated.
Merry Christmas!

Download Torii SRS

Perfect!!!

this is cool! worked on my PC but not on phone (android) - crashing when opening.
I’ve tried a few minutes but kinda slow when processing items.

Just tried using the Android app, but it has real problems using my Simeji keyboard. When I type nothing appears, I have to switch to another app, type something, then switch back to Torii, and then it lets me type something. I have to do this almost everytime I want to type in Torii.

You’re right, there seems to be an incompatibility with the Simeji keyboard. No characters appear when typing. Switching to another app didn’t change anything for me. However, when I type something and then touch the keyboard’s enter button, the word I just typed will appear on screen. The only options in this case will be to either switch to another keyboard temporarily or to type blindly :confused:

Wow thank you so much for this. Love people like you lol.
感謝する

Is the Kana only study option all the conjunctions, expressions, adverbs? Looking for something to brush up in that area.

Thats looks really interesting! gonna try it out right now.

Thanks for sharing this app! I’ve started using it on my PC, and so far, I’ve been having no issues. A friend of mine is having some trouble with the android version, though. Apparently her input is only registered after she adds a full stop (or at least presses that button). She’s using the ZenUI keyboard. Could that be another compatibility issue? I completely forgot that you can switch keyboards :man_facepalming: so I’ll suggest that to her and see whether it helps.

There are a little bit more than 1200 kana only words. All sort of words (Nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, …), no phrases.

I guess so, yeah. There’s no easy fix for this, I’m afraid. At least it’s easy to switch between different keyboards on most Android devices: You’ll see a tiny keyboard icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen whenever a keyboard is active. Just tap it to open your keyboard list. The SwiftKey and Google keyboards are working fine.