Took time off - 902 reviews: what to do

Resetting would probably take you months to reach the level you are at now while clearing these reviews could take you a week or two

3 Likes

Knock out the easy stuff, to get it out of the system. What you can’t burn will return to you, next time you’ll burn some more.
If you fail more than 300 of those 900, consider a partial reset, to the level where your accuracy started to drop.

I wouldn’t work through more than 300 failed items, they’ll come back to haunt you, and some might end up as leeches… that’s what burned me our a few months ago.

1 Like

I use Tsurukame on iOS and it let’s me reorder the reviews. I would use that to prioritise the level 9 reviews.

Also, maybe try to use “vacation mode” next time?

1 Like

I’ve been there many many times, haha. Even getting up over 1000 several times. I use the reorder script to order them by level, and go through them til I clear it all out or until I’m failing miserably. If you reach a level where you just don’t remember any of it, you can reset to that specific level. You don’t have to go all the way back to 0.

1 Like

I’ve reset back to level 1 multiple times now, but I always end up regretting it, because it’s really only the apprentice items I’ve actually forgotten.

I’ve found if I reset back 1-2 levels, I can get the same effect of cutting out the stuff I don’t know and regaining motivation to keep going, without having to spend months getting back there. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with just trying to burn through your reviews without resetting, but it can be a bit demotivating when you get close to your current level and miss a large majority of your reviews.

3 Likes

just do them

3 Likes

i wish I had that many reviews to do !

2 Likes

Take it one step at a time, and don’t feel overwhelmed! Do 150 plus a day and you’ll catch up

1 Like

Your 696 items on enlightened have been answered correctly at least 7 times so far to get to where they are. Assuming most of these are kanji/vocab which need a review for meaning and for reading - you’ve done at least 14 reviews in the past on these items. So it would take you 696x14=9744 reviews to get them back to where they are!

So don’t reset to level 1!!

1 Like

You got this! Just do extra reviews each day at your own pace!

2 Likes

You just do them, it is up to you fast you finish them, but in cases like this, the only way to make progress is to go through them and complete the batch. I would like previous answers to break it up in pieces and take them in chunks, maybe during one-2 days, do 100 rest, and then the next 100 etc. Technically its only half of 900 aka. 450 as one meaning in English and one Japanese meaning of the same word/phrase, so if you know half of the meanings in one language or the others that is already half the battle won. Keep on fighting and you can do it!:+1:t2:

If I can take a hiatus of 5 years, and go through two levels in under a month, I believe you can keep going. =)

2 Likes

I put it down for a couple years and came back to I think 500 or so reviews…I just dug my way through them and caught up. But for me, even my current level is all review. If you don’t feel comfortable with what you’re reviewing, sure, reset, but it’s gonna be a lot of work to get back to where you are now.

1 Like

Same here. A one level reset was worth it in the end (in my opinion).

1 Like

Progress report?

1. Install this script:
    [Userscript] WaniKani Prioritize Overdue Reviews (reorder script)

2. do every day the same amount of reviews will pop up the next day + 10

3. once you’ve caught up on WK, disable the script.

Good luck!!

We haven’t given up on you, so don’t give up on yourself! A week of 100-150 reviews a day will definitely show results.

Thanks everyone for the advice and support! I came back from all the 出張 I had and now am back on the horse.

Lets see how long this takes…

2 Likes

Ok so I took more time off and even went over 1000, BUT NOW IM BACK BABY!

Finally back down to zero except by tomorrow I’ll have another 200 reviews :grimacing:

The lesson is, if you take time off, pause it.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.