Took time off - 902 reviews: what to do

Should I just plow through it or reset the whole damn thing? I haven’t even reached level 10 yet :sob:

2 Likes

If it was me I would do at least 200 a day to catch up. Do you mean reset back to beginning or? Of you took a long time off and you feel like it you can restart.

5 Likes

I just dug myself out of 900 review at level 11. Do 160 to 300 a day for a week, and you should be out. What’s your number of apprentice items?

4 Likes

1 Like

yeah i was thinking whether i should just rest back to the beginning…

1 Like

I think 192 apprentice items is manageable. If you get the guru, and master items in your backlog correct they won’t show up again for a few weeks.

3 Likes

As you do some reviews, you can get a feel for where you stand and how you feel about resetting.

Depending on how long you were gone, items in the later SRS stages don’t have to be that affected. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. You can also reset just a few levels down, to purge the reviews of items that were in low SRS stages, since you very likely retained little to none from those.

You can also manually look through some levels to see if you feel like you retained the earlier stuff well, and reset to the level where you feel things look unfamiliar.

Welcome back and good luck! :crabigator:

8 Likes

#TeamReset

The time it would take to clear the queue might be the same than reset and reach your current level.

4 Likes

I think you should just plow through it. If you have some 2 hours or so to spare after school or work, maybe you can get through 200-400 in one go. 3-4 times and you should be set. (This should be in addition to your normal daily reviews obviously) I have gone through around 900 before too, and i’ve never reset. Just my experience, good luck.

5 Likes

I had similar couple months ago when I moved, around same level.

My method: do 10 at the time, every time you think about the app. That way it won’t be overwhelming, but you’ll get 100-200 each day. For first few days the review count doesn’t really go down until you move enough items to master, but then it starts to go down fairly fast and when it hits somewhere around 200, just push it to zero.

4 Likes

I would not reset. As you have already some burnt and many enlightened items it would be a pain to begin again with all these items and wait for the reviews to progress. Think of how long it took you to get to level 9. It took me 50 days to get to level 8 - in 50 days you can easily get rid of 900 reviews.

I got my first enlightened items just some minutes ago and would never give them back :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve decided to go through the reviews and just keep at it.

IM BACK JERRY, IM BACK!!

12 Likes

Don’t worry about clearing them all out at once, because then they’ll all come back at once in huge, potentially demoralizing waves. Just make sure to take a decent chunk out of the total every single day :slight_smile:

Also, don’t feel bad if it feels like you’re missing a lot; remember that you’re supposed to miss reviews for SRS to work effectively :wink:

PS: Also, it’d take maybe ~8 weeks or so of maximum-speed progress to reach level 9 again. I personally don’t see any reason for it to take that long to work forward from where you’re at now, just as long as you do reviews consistently (ideally, daily).

6 Likes

What I do is sort reviews by level and then clear at my own pace bottom up

3 Likes

Resetting would probably take you months to reach the level you are at now while clearing these reviews could take you a week or two

3 Likes

Knock out the easy stuff, to get it out of the system. What you can’t burn will return to you, next time you’ll burn some more.
If you fail more than 300 of those 900, consider a partial reset, to the level where your accuracy started to drop.

I wouldn’t work through more than 300 failed items, they’ll come back to haunt you, and some might end up as leeches… that’s what burned me our a few months ago.

1 Like

I use Tsurukame on iOS and it let’s me reorder the reviews. I would use that to prioritise the level 9 reviews.

Also, maybe try to use “vacation mode” next time?

1 Like

I’ve been there many many times, haha. Even getting up over 1000 several times. I use the reorder script to order them by level, and go through them til I clear it all out or until I’m failing miserably. If you reach a level where you just don’t remember any of it, you can reset to that specific level. You don’t have to go all the way back to 0.

1 Like

I’ve reset back to level 1 multiple times now, but I always end up regretting it, because it’s really only the apprentice items I’ve actually forgotten.

I’ve found if I reset back 1-2 levels, I can get the same effect of cutting out the stuff I don’t know and regaining motivation to keep going, without having to spend months getting back there. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with just trying to burn through your reviews without resetting, but it can be a bit demotivating when you get close to your current level and miss a large majority of your reviews.

3 Likes

just do them

3 Likes