Too forgiving? 一割 = 1 percent?

I’ve been getting a pass saying 一割 means 1 percent.

9 Likes

The error checking seems to be a certain percentage of wrong letters, writing zenn instead of zen is marked as wrong, but for longer answers you can have several errors like flipped letters. “1 percent” has a single missing letter, perfectly acceptable. If you don’t like it there is this “no cigar” userscript somewhere where you must answer to the letter.

2 Likes

And now that you’ve made this post, I’m sure you won’t forget the meaning :wink:

They should put a message on there like “Your answer was a bit off. Check the meaning to make sure you are correct”.

1 Like

Huh, didn’t even think WK accepted numeral-y answers. If you’re worried about getting the wrong meaning stuck in your head, just switch to “ten percent” from now on maybe?

Having looked up this meaning for myself… How is a 1… a 10 percent? *tilts head* えぇぇ?
Seriously… I’m confused. Unless that kanji by itself means “10 percent” and therefore that vocabulary word is "one times ‘ten percent’ " … aka 10 percent. I’m 8 levels behind you, so perhaps that is the case…???

Yeah, it’s like saying “one tenth.” Not that unusual.

It’s a simple fraction - one tenth. As Leebo says.

ETA: I can understand the confusion, though, because the basic meaning of the 漢字 is “portion”; it just so happens that it also implies that the portion is a tenth, for whatever reason, in many contexts.

And for anyone wondering, the way to actually say fractions in Japanese is [denominator]分(ぶん)の[numerator]

So, one tenth in that format would be 十分の一 (じゅうぶんのいち)
4/7 would be 七分の四 (ななぶんのよん)

4 Likes

Good to know :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.