"to stand" should not be accepted for 立てる

All my favorite threads get closed :sob:

7 Likes

@pragmata

6 Likes

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, until this thread I thought “立てる” meant to stand up, as in, to rise from a sitting position to one’s feet. It’s burned and done with, and I had it completely wrong all this time. So, the thread did some good.

Like some have already pointed out (maybe), the colloquial/spoken contraction of 立っている is to たってる not たてる, so there’s no ambiguity on that front.

This whole issue got me thinking: for verb vocab, a cool idea would be for wanikani to introduce a transitive vs intransitive checkbox that one needed to select to fully get correct. At least, in cases where the English verb is itself ambiguous (for example “to close” or “to open”).

That, or in the transitive case, require the answer to be “to open something” (including the pronoun), and to blacklist “to open” on its own (for 開ける).

So, wait, literally what the OP was suggesting aha. Maybe this entire post could’ve just been, “I agree with the OP”.

5 Likes

Well that escalated quickly.

8 Likes

It seems to be their general behavior from looking at past threads they’ve been in. This person seems to be unable to take any constructive criticism.

5 Likes

I totally forgot that they already made a topic over a year ago making incorrect statements about transitivity. I guess they haven’t learned more about them in that time.

4 Likes

I knew I’ll see you roasted on forums, “level 2.02” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hope this thread doesn’t get closed because as a beginner its really helpful to think about and try make sense of the concept. I found a video explaining transitivity on another thread which was rather helpful.

Is the information correct?

2 Likes

What do you mean by “slander”? He wrote a whole comment trying to explain the differences between 立てる and 立つ to you. 立てる does not mean standing, that’s 立っている.
I think they’re all just trying to tell you that transitivity has nothing to do with “motion” or “action”. Or maybe you expressed yourself badly and this is a misunderstanding…
Sorry for butting in but

I disagree with this. The WK community is one of the most helpful communities I’ve ever participated in. People like Leebo or seanblue have helped lots of people with grammar questions they had and they’re trying to do the same thing here. What you’re saying isn’t right.

11 Likes

Here’s some constructive criticism. The Japanese text you posted is littered with errors. You really should listen to what other people are telling you, because it’s clear you don’t know as much as you think you know.

13 Likes

They did the same thing back in this thread:

And then when someone tried to correct them, they then started in on the same personal attacks you see here:

The victim card they are trying to play in this thread is a bit much.

6 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t know this. Thanks for clarifying, it can’t be a misunderstanding then.

I agree.
Sometimes people just have to accept that they’re wrong.

4 Likes

ayyy lmao this is the funniest thread i’ve seen on here… lolz

A wild curedolly android appears…

even better. :joy:

5 Likes

Lurk moar.

5 Likes

We really don’t want to close the thread either if there’s useful information in the earlier comments…but if the thread continues to go off course today and turns in to more arguments, we’ll have to close it.

10 Likes

I’d recommend just closing it now. People can still get value from the existing responses.

7 Likes

PertinentQueasyGallowaycow-size_restricted

1 Like

はい、それでは、助言させていただきます。
その1、丁寧語と普通語が交じっておりますと読者は違和感を覚えてしまいます。こちらのフォーラムはカジュアルで心地良いところなので、普通語を使っても構いません。
その2、日本語で返事して、自分の能力をアピールすることはやめた方が良いと思われます。いくら自分が上手でも、文法の説明が間違ったら、指摘されることは当たり前(のはず)です。誠に「猿も木から落ちる」のことですね。怒っても始まらないでしょう。

10 Likes

Closing the thread as the thread’s run its course.

14 Likes