"to stand" should not be accepted for 立てる

You have it backwards

立つ is intransitive (subject stands on its own)
立てる is transitive (subject stands something else up)

4 Likes

Oh yes, you are right! That said, my teacher said it should be 立つ when I stand a block up, not 立てる so I got so confused :sweat_smile: haha this is one of the really confusing ones…same with 並ぶ and 並べる I guess it’ll finally click with repeated practice :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Your teacher made that mistake?

2 Likes

My teacher is a Japanese person who lives in Japan…so i’m not sure it was a mistake…

It is more likely that I am mistaken OR there is some other meaning nuance :sweat_smile:

He did say 立てる was mostly used for like building being erected (He also doesn’t speak English so only explained this in Japanese).

Or we could have got our wires crossed somehow…

In any case, i’ll read over both my textbook and online and I have 4 different teachers one for each day Tues-Fri so i’ll make a note and ask a different one (probably Friday’s teacher as she is my favourite) just to make sure I understand correctly.

Edit: gosh my brain is frazzled I forgot I live with a Japanese person :woman_facepalming: (My husband) so when he gets home tomorrow I’ll ask him to explain it to me again.

8 Likes

立つ can’t take an object, so I don’t see how it could be used for you standing a block up.

But as you said, maybe wires were crossed.

2 Likes

No kidding dude, ive been involved with japanese the past 20 years of my life. I was simply trying to explain in layman’s terms how 立てる functions. Sorry if I don’t like too much wording that would completely confuse the beginner.

1 Like

何一体の可?全然日本語がわかったらこれはおとけやすいですね。簡単なことに、立てる違いと立つ違い間に説明してみたばかりなんだがこのテーマを難しくしなければならなかったようじゃないんでしょうか。大変だけど貴様の意見をありがとう。でもさ私のことを知らなかったら全然入力してくれないほうがいいのに。

You said 立てる means standing, though.

1 Like

“standing” is one of the nuances of 立てる, but I guess it’s a little vague to the reader. You can also interpret it as “rising” or “erecting”, or “putting something up.”

Why do you keep putting “ing” on those though. That was the question seanblue was getting at.

1 Like

because I’m trying to make it more understandable ok?

Can I ask what 何一体の可 is supposed to mean or should I leave that for sean to ask.

2 Likes

I made a mistake. It’s supposed to be 何いったいのか。It means, “what the hell”.

Oh

Does it

2 Likes

I believe he’s gone 1-60 3 times, and is on his fourth…

7 Likes

Nice, was waiting for that.

Just 2 times. Not that it should matter.

10 Likes

Whoops :thinking:

2 Likes

Nice

2 Likes

Yes sir. I will make some flashcards out of the rant above.

7 Likes

Anyone know who to call to close threads these days?

@RachelG was it?

9 Likes