To concentrate (集中する), what is it's context?

Hey all,
I have a bit of a context problem with “to concentrate” (集中する, is there an easier way to implement kanji without copy/pasting?).
Because WK gives examples in its focus context, does this mean that “集中する” solely means “to focus” or can you also use it in its chemical context of making a concentrated solution or concentrated information in text?

Thank you ^^

The words “濃縮” and “濃度” are used for liquid solution etc and the word “集中” is used when a person think of something hard.

2 Likes

You mean like, writing kanji? You can install an IME.

1 Like

Ahh I see, so can I just add する to “濃縮” or “濃度” to concentrate a liquid solution?

Thank you, I’ll look into it :smiley:

1 Like

You can add する to 濃縮 as it’s a する verb. 濃度 is a noun that means concentration; thickness; density, but does not appear to be a する verb from what I can see.

3 Likes

You can use 集中 for other things. It does just mean “to gather in one place” as well.

人口が集中する
For instance

3 Likes

As Leebo says, it’s also refered as something gathered in a “place”.

central heating : 集中暖房

an intensive care unit: 集中治療室

concentrated study: 集中学習

Also among the cards I have I found some other example:

So, here it follows the same pattern (something gathered in a place) as well.

(though almost all the rest of the examples I have from shows are indeed about focusing the atention or efforts into something :wink:)

3 Likes

Thank you all for replying, it has been a great help :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.