"to carry"

What is the difference in meaning and usage between “運ぶ” and "担ぐ (and any others I’ve not got to yet)?
Thank you! I always find that a little discussion helps with comprehension but also with memory.

担ぐ generally means something more like ‘carry on one’s shoulder’ (this I believe is covered better in the secondary meaning that WK provides as ‘to shoulder’) while 運ぶ is a more general and often has a nuance of carrying something to a place.

6 Likes

Thank you! Hence shouldering a burden etc… but 運ぶ is carrying shopping etc? From the car to the house etc?

Fair warning: there is going to be an influx of synonyms as you hit later levels.

1 Like

Yep, that is a good way to think of it.

If I go to Japan, I’d like to carry a portable shrine in a parade.

I wish this context sentence made this a bit more clear. The sense of putting on your shoulder makes sense if you look up or know how these portable shrines are carried, but I think the translation could have been tweaked to make this a bit more apparent (though I guess it could come across as a bit too stiff sounding :man_shrugging:).

1 Like

Well as an English speaker it might be a little hypocritical to be afraid of the odd synonym! Forewarned in this case may well make no difference… but I embrace your input! I am braced.

3 Likes

Hehe, same with homophones. The English language is rife with both.

Yes it’s so annoying. Makes it so wrong to feel that Japanese is hard!

1 Like