Tips for beginners

And I have another problem, not with wanikani, just me, my pronunciation and fludity of how I read out loud in Japanese For example, I took these from a wanikani lesson I’m doing because I try to pronounce the example sentences:
上のひょうをみてください。

このフロアの三かい上にトーフグのオフィスがあります。

I know how to pronounce the words but I have trouble making it all fluid and saying it without stopping because when I read an example sentence (those oneswas for the up kanji vocab) so here’s what I kinda sound like:
Konofuroanomikai ue…nitoo…fuguofisugaa…imasu.
I basically trip up, slow down, speed up and slow down again as I try to string together what I’m saying as it all falls apart.

I am a newbie too. My advise are:
Lessons introduce reading and meaning and this is our chance to successfully learn. I do better if a have a good mnemonic here. So Check the given mnemonic and create yours if it is not good enough.
Especially in counters, they are all getting similar.

Have a nice day Have fun.

General advice for WK that I hadn’t seen mentioned yet in this thread: writing down the new information. I don’t always do this, but when I did, I found it really helped. I wrote down the new kanji, what it meant, and how to say it. New vocab, same thing. Just another way to squeeze it into memory while also getting in some writing practice :slight_smile:

As for pronunciation, two things:
1 - Listen to native speakers. I know they seem like they talk fast, but it will help you get a handle on things over time. Play music or a podcast in the background while you’re doing dishes. Watch some Let’s Plays on YouTube or some dramas. Anything where native speakers are talking, listen to it.

2 - Speak SLOWLY. I get the rush and desire to say the whole sentence native speed, but you’re only going to keep fumbling. Take your time and work through it. Do it enough times at a slow pace, and you’ll start to get used to it and be able to do it faster.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What has been working for me lately is to use a lesson re-ordering script to do all of my rad/kan lessons ASAP, and then trickle out the vocab reviews at a more measured pace. This has made the entire process feel more even-keeled, as it minimizes the shock I had been feeling whenever a large chunk of vocab had been unlocked.

I’d advise against using this method to avoid vocab entirely.

Super noob here. This is a great thread. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Why are you shocked you can’t fluently read a language that’s brand-new to you? The only things that will help you over that completely natural hurtle are more speaking and listening, and more familiarity with reading.

If you get far enough into your studies to want additional vocab resources, I’d look at iKnow, which includes recorded audio for each example sentence. Otherwise, just interact with the language as much as possible outside your studies until you’re able to internalize some of its flow. No way around that, really.

(Also, side note, Wanikani’s example sentences will quickly get more complex. Don’t bother trying to pronounce each one; do use them to help you understand word-usage.)

Other basic advice:

1. Keep your apprentice queue in the neighborhood of 100 items
  2. After the first few levels, I wouldn’t do more than 30 lessons per day.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.