Times when WaniKani makes you 😑

That JUST happened to me in my last review section. I was so tempted to just let myself have it, but I have to use that override script for good, not evil. Even though this really felt like one of those times.

1 Like

I’ve had to start writing down ones in my lessons that I want to add synonyms too and then go it and add them before reviews.

3 Likes

I used it. It clearly means “not good”. :man_shrugging: lol
If I had to guess, this is used more in keigo to beat around the bush to say something is bad so they don’t have to use the word ‘bad’.

[Looks it up in Tsukaba Corpus]
Looks like it’s mostly used in the 4 kanji jukugo word 消化不良, or with products to say they weren’t good/had a defect (商品に不良がある).
http://nlt.tsukuba.lagoinst.info/headword/AN.00146/

[edit]Looked at another section and it’s used a good bit by itself too.[/edit]

If I really got something wrong, I never override it, but when it comes to something like ~人 and I type じん and it wanted にん, I use it because I’m only memorizing what that WaniKani item wants, when じんshould be a perfectly acceptable answer to that (I try to add these where I can, but unfortunately you can’t add stuff during lessons and I get lazy then make posts like this later, though the one in this post happened during a lesson).

2 Likes

This is a good idea, because I will try to just do it the WK way until it drives me crazy. lol

1 Like

You’ve made several good points. I think I’ll add “not good” to the synonyms too. Not like this is the first or second time it’s got me.

When this kind of thing happens, I often add the synonym for next time, but still let it be marked wrong this time.

1 Like

I did not know that you could add user synonyms!

51%20PM

Enough of this bullshit

14 Likes

Reminds me of this Totally Real Quote™

19 Likes

じん is NOT a perfectly acceptable answer. ~人 is the people counter, it’s always にん (except when it’s 一人, 二人). It’s さんにん, not さんじん.

You might argue that 人 is じん in a lot of cases, like in イタりアじん, or サイヤじん, but the thing is, you typed “people counter” into the meaning field, therefore じん is not a valid answer.

5 Likes

It’s a matter of perspective. You could easily argue that ~人 represents the suffix for nationality, and then じん would be the only correct answer.

But yeah, given that the accepted English meaning is “Number Of People” (etc.), the answer has to be にん.

I figure if I know the meaning and nuance and can use it in a sentence, then it doesn’t matter what definition I add to the word.

1 Like

Or you can just add the synonyms while doing lessons. :slight_smile:
(Really not sure why this can’t be done without a script though. cc: @viet @oldbonsai)

Oh. I must have changed that then, because I only type ‘people’. Thinking of ~人 as only a people counter goes against some of the other uses of ~ I’ve seen in WaniKani so far, like ~病. Especially since almost right after that you learn times when it’s used as じん.

[edit]
People is also a default accepted alternative meaning.

This is how I feel and what I do as well.

1 Like

This has gotten me so many times it’s not even funny. I’ll probably still have that radical in my review queue a year from now. :confused:

I’ve tried scripts, but for whatever reason they don’t work on my laptop.
Using both Chrome and Firefox on a 2011 MBP. Both browsers are up to date. Using Greasemonkey, I’ve set them up following instructions and all that. They just don’t work.

They work on my desktop, but most of the time I do Wanikani on my laptop at work, or elsewhere. So I’ve just been going Vanilla WaniKani this whole time.

Greasemonkey doesn’t always work these days. Try Tampermonkey.

2 Likes

I used to hardcore only do what WK told me to answer but as I have now learned much more about the language from other sources, I realise that synonyms are a god-send as the nuance in the meaning is really difficult to describe sometimes.

1 Like

Agreed. There are plenty of times when I’ll double check a kanji or word on jisho.org just to make sure, but there are plenty of times when I will add synonyms of words that don’t have a significant difference in nuance, like institute and institution for 院.

1 Like

I’d personally like to have a “technically correct” list to go with the synonyms list, where instead of being marked right WK does the shaky-shaky. Kanji meanings in particular can be quite vague or cover a large range. If the WK meaning is far more common than whatever correct-but-obscure answer I entered, being marked correct feels somewhat lame while being marked wrong feels like complete BS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.