Thursday November 17 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(18) - Added “seed” as an alternative meaning.

Vocabulary

点ける (6) - Added “to turn on something” and “to switch on something” to the allow list.

太平洋 (11) - Added “The Pacific” to the allow list.

待たせる (14) - Added “to be kept waiting” to the block list.

消える (14) - Added “to put out” to the block list.

望む (14) - Added “to despair” to the block list.

〜匹 (15) - Added collocations and updated the context sentences.

四匹 (15) - Added collocations and updated the context sentences.

残す (16) - Added “to release” to the block list.

外面 (16) - Replaced a context sentence.

果てる (17) - Added “to raise” to the block list.

払う (35) - Added collocations and added two new context sentences.

患う (37) - Added “to be afflicted with” as the primary meaning, added “to suffer from” as an alternative meaning, moved “to be afflicted”, “to be afflicted with illness” and “to be sick” to the allow list, added “to be sick with”, “to be ill” and “to be ill with” to the allow list, added “transitive verb” as a word type, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

飽食 (56) - Added “eating one’s fill” and “having everything one needs" as alternative meanings, moved “indulgence” and “gluttony” to the allow list, and added “repletion”, “eating until one is full,” “gorging,” “having adequate food,” and “having all one needs” to the allow list.

遍歴 (57) - Added “experiences” as the primary meaning, added “history," and “journey” as alternative meanings, made “travels” an alternative meaning, moved “pilgrimage” and “itinerancy” to the allow list, added “wanderings” to the allow list, updated meaning explanation, added collocations, and added a new context sentence.

Additions

• Level 9: 心強い (こころづよい) - reassuring
  • Level 15: 初耳 (はつみみ) - something heard for the first time
  • Level 20: 築く (きずく) - to construct
  • Level 21: (たね) - seed
  • Level 23: 節目 (ふしめ) - turning point
  • Level 28: 解凍 (かいとう) - thawing
  • Level 30: 押さえる (おさえる) - to hold something down

Movements

• Level 44: (kanji) - moved down to level 15.
  • Level 44: 〜匹 (ひき) - moved down to level 15.
  • Level 44: 四匹 (よんひき) - moved down to level 15.
  • Level 44: 一匹 (いっぴき) - moved down to level 19.
18 Likes

Thanks!

The additions were fun for me, because I encountered (and learned) 6 of these 7 in the wild already, in various media. A little encouragement for those who haven’t learned them yet, they’re actually useful :wink:

7 Likes

I’m a bit wary of adding “to turn on something” as a valid answer for 点ける because that doesn’t sound like correct English to me

1 Like

“to turn on the television” / “to turn on the light” etc. seem like correct English to me but I’m not a native speaker :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

It’s commonly used in English. You can say either:

• Can you turn on the light?
  • Can you turn the light on?

[Source: Native English speaker]

5 Likes

Tangent: Yes for a lot of cases, but curiously the specific word ‘something’ only sounds natural (to me) as ‘turn something on’, not ‘turn on something’… I’m not sure what’s going on here, but there are other words that only work with one of the two, eg “can you turn that on?” is fine and “can you turn on that?” is not. Various concrete objects (“the lights”, “my computer”) seem OK with both.

7 Likes

This is getting very fascinating. Like pm215, I think that “Turn on the light” sounds fine, but “Turn on something” doesn’t. I’m also a native English speaker.

3 Likes

“He turned on her.”
“He turned her on.”
Nope, not the same.

8 Likes

Those are different senses, though; they only work with animate objects, to a first approximation.

1 Like

Yes, I know. It was a joke.

6 Likes

Two similar sentences that sound natural to me would be:

• We have to turn on something.
  • We have to turn something on.
1 Like

Thank you, Jenny!

I did wonder if my lesson pile was suddenly bigger… :upside_down_face:

1 Like