Thursday January 4 2024 Content Updates

Radicals

(2) - Added “archery" to the allow list.

Kanji

(18) - Added “archery" to the allow list.

(22) - Added “boy" to the allow list.

(24) - Added “place on” as the primary meaning, added “put on” as the alternative meaning, moved “publish” to the allow list, updated the meaning mnemonic and hint, and updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(34) - Added “shorten” to the allow list, and added “narrow” to the warning list.

(34) - Added “slim,” “skinny,” “slender,” and “lose weight” to the allow list.

(36) - Added “depend” and “depend on” to the allow list.

(36) - Added “go beyond" to the allow list.

(37) - Added “bay," “cove,” and “inlet” to the allow list.

(42) - Added “grasp" to the allow list.

(46) - Added “proud” and “to be proud” to the allow list.

(46) - Added “bon” and “obon” to the allow list.

(46) - Added “fall,” “fall down,” “falling,” and “falling down” to the allow list.

(49) - Added “majesty" to the allow list.

(49) - Added “intention" to the block list.

(51) - Added “great” and “remarkable” to the allow list.

(51) - Added “washing" to the allow list.

(51) - Added “grease" to the allow list.

Vocabulary

出す (5) - Added “to go out” to the block list.

対する (8) - Added “to compose” to the block list.

競う (11) - Added “to compare” to the block list.

幻覚 (17) - Added “illusion” to the warning list.

(18) - Added “archery" to the allow list.

載る (24) - Added “to be placed on” as the primary meaning, added “to be recorded” and “to be loaded on” as the alternative meaning, moved “to be published,” “to be reported,” and “to be printed” to the allow list, added “to be mentioned,” “to be put on,” “to be loaded,” “to be on,” “to be reported on,” “to be recorded on,” and “to be published on,” added “to be placed,” “to be put,” “to be,” “to contain,” “to appear,” “to carry,” and “to report” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

記載 (24) - Moved “report” to the allow list, added “write” and “writing” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

所載 (24) - Added “recorded” as the primary meaning, moved “printed” to the allow list, added “carried," "noted,” and “stated” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

載せる (26) - Added “to place on something” as the primary meaning, added “to put on something” and “to put on record” as the alternative meaning, moved “to publish” and “to place on top” to the allow list, added “to place on” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

観覧 (26) - Added “watching” as the alternative meaning, added “view,” “see,” and “watch” to the allow list, added “observe,” “observing,” and “observation” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

敬語 (33) - Added “polite language" to the warning list.

否定する (35) - Added “to refuse" to the warning list.

更新 (36) - Added “updating” and “renewing” to the allow list, and added “change” and “changing” to the warning list.

奴ら (36) - Added “dudes” and “guys” to the allow list.

吐き出す (36) - Added “to spit” to the allow list, and added “to vomit,” “to puke,” “to throw up,” “to belch,” “to belch out,” “to express,” “to show,” and “to lay bare” to the warning list.

医療 (36) - Added “medical care" and “medical service” to the allow list, and added “treatment,” “care,” and “service” to the warning list.

遺産 (36) - Added “heritage" as the alternative meaning, and added “antiquities,” and “legacy” to the warning list.

(37) - Added “cove” to the allow list.

掲載 (37) - Moved “post” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

衣装 (42) - Added “clothes" to the allow list.

伺い (43) - Added “request” and “call on” to the warning list.

肌触り (45) - Added “feel" to the allow list.

歳暮 (45) - Added “year end" to the allow list.

廃絶 (45) - Added “abolish," “abolishing,” and “abolishment” to the allow list.

(49) - Added “intention" to the block list.

無駄 (50) - Added “futile,” “useless,” “pointless,” “in vain,” “vain,” and “fruitless” to the allow list, and added “waste,” “no good,” “no use,” “no point,” “wasteful,” “idle,” “unwanted,” and “nothing” to the warning list.

把握 (50) - Added “understand” as the alternative meaning, moved “catch” to the allow list, added “grasping” and “understanding” to the allow list, added “grip” and “gripping” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

漫才 (50) - Added “double act comedy” and “double act” to the allow list, and added “comedy duo” and “comic duo” to the warning list.

邪魔 (50) - Added “nuisance" to the allow list.

訂正 (50) - Added “amendment" to the allow list.

興奮 (50) - Added “arousal" to the allow list.

連峰 (50) - Added “mountain chain" and “peaks” to the allow list.

表彰 (50) - Added “commendation" as the alternative meaning, and added “commend” and “commending” to the allow list.

法廷 (50) - Added “court" as the primary meaning, moved “courtroom” to the alternative meaning, added “law court,” “court of law,” and “courthouse” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

仰々しい (50) - Added “bombastic" and “ostentatious” to the allow list.

信仰 (50) - Added “faith," “belief,” and “religious belief” to the allow list.

浸す (51) - Added かす to the warning list, and added “to immerse” and “to bathes” to the allow list.

搭載 (53) - Added “be equipped,” “being equipped,” “on board,” “load,” “be equipped with,” “being equipped with,” and “equipped” to the allow list, added “have,” “having,” “carry,” and “carrying” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

血脈 (57) - Added “blood relatives" and “blood relative” to the warning list.

15 Likes

\o/

2 Likes

Although most of the update is out of my reach, thank you very much!

3 Likes

Is “carrie” the correct word intended? I think it’s either a typo or the wrong word. Perhaps “carried” was meant? But does 所載 have “carried” as one of it’s meanings? (I honestly don’t know.)

What is the reason that “legacy” is added to the warning list? Will the warning, when it is triggered, explain the reason for the warning?

For example, it is listed as a definition on Jisho/JMdict:

遺産 [いさん] (n) inheritance; bequest; legacy; heritage

3 Likes

Damn, that update was one week too late for me. Gotta completely relearn 載る now I guess, just as I could finally memorize the “published” meaning :sob:

Still thanks for the update!

4 Likes

Yup, that’s a typo in the post, should be “carried”. Thanks for catching it!

I worked on the various 載-related updates, so I can answer this question. “Carried” isn’t the most common translation, and so I didn’t list it on the 所載 page, but it’s not wrong so I put it on the allow list so that it’ll be counted as correct if someone happens to enter it. 所載 can be used to mean that something is carried in a publication, often a newspaper or a magazine. For example, “前号所載の記事ぜんごうしょさいのきじ” can be translated as “an article that was carried in the previous issue”, and the Wisdom J-E dictionary has the following example phrase:

本紙所載の漫画ほんししょさいのまんが
the cartoon series carried in this newspaper

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

ごめんなさい about the timing! But hopefully the update will help you grasp the broader uses of 載る :grin:

3 Likes

It was because I thought that “legacy” has the broader meaning than 遺産, but I agree with you now that it belongs to the allow list instead. Updating it now.

1 Like

Really unhappy about changing the primary meaning of 載 because I just finally memorized it as ‘publish’. Publish isn’t even an alternative, so I got it wrong and found out it had changed…

Please please please, may there be made a way to take the romaji off of the on-screen keyboard so that I can better practice my pronunciations without the proverbial ‘bowling rails’?

What do you mean by this?

1 Like

Do you mean the “Kana Chart” / “Hiragana IME Chart”, invoked by either the [ひ] button or the ‘/’ keyboard shortcut?

I see that, by default, it does show the romaji below each character. So, I can see why you might want to hide that information, for example, as you say, to practice pronunciation without clues.

It should be relatively straightforward to implement such a feature with a simple toggle to show/hide romaji on the Kana Chart.

If you want this to receive the appropriate attention, it would probably be worthwhile to start a new topic in the “Feedback” sub-forum, and title it something like “Feature request: yadda yadda …”. Describe the feature, especially how you think it should work, like where should the toggle be on the UI or whatever. Then, your request won’t be hidden away in a comment on a Content Update thread (which is more about the content side of things than the UI side).

Also, just to let you know that the actual reason it’s showing the ‘romaji’ is that those are actually the ‘codes’ used in the text-box so that you can type your desired Hiragana without having to look it up anymore. Usually the ‘code’ is identical to the corresponding romaji, but not always.

For example, if you ever run into a circumstance where you want to type (all on by itself) a ‘small tsu’ aka ‘small つ’ aka ‘っ’, you would type the letters ltsu, which is the ‘code’ shown under the character on the [雑] tab of the Kana Chart. But that’s not actually romaji. In romaji, small-tsu is converted into double-consonants like きって is kitte in romaji, the っ having been converted into the doubling of the t consonant to tt.

The idea of the Kana chart is that you’ll learn how to type the kana, using the romaji-like codes, so that you don’t have to use the Kana chart for typing anymore. It’s not particularly intended for learning pronunciation. In fact, there are some good free apps available for learning kana, if you do a quick search.

Sorry about the frustration the change has caused you! It sucks to finally learn something to then have the meaning change on you :pensive: In the long term though, I do think it’ll be more helpful to understand the broader meaning of the kanji first, then flesh out the “publish” nuance along with others through vocabulary.

It’s strange that “publish” was marked wrong on your end though. I had added it to the allow list for the kanji (and applicable vocab) so that the change wouldn’t be punitive towards people who first learned the kanji as “publish” (i.e. it should still be accepted as an answer even if the meaning’s no longer visible on the page).

I just tested it on my end and “publish” was accepted as an answer. Could you let me know if it still won’t accept it for you in the future? If it’s some kind of bug, we definitely want to fix it. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for being so understanding. The word has come up again since and it did work. I use the Auto Commit script and publish didn’t go through that time, probably because the script wasn’t working correctly. Sometimes scripts randomly don’t work for me (I’m using an ipad). So I forgot to account for that. Ironically, I’m remembering the new meaning because of getting upset over it. So all is good now. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes