This is the best community ever!

I read somewhere that the WaniKani community was very nice. Indeed it is! You guys are so helpful. I have made a couple of posts and you have been so fast to answer, and in such a friendly and helpful manner too.

I’m loving learning kanji with WaniKani, but you guys certainly influenced me a lot to bite the bullet and subscribe for a year.

Learning 2000 kanji and 6000 vocabulary words is such an herculean task. You guys make it possible though!

I am happy to now be a part of this community.

51 Likes

29 Likes

Yeah, that’s one thing I really like about here. Sure, there’s still sometimes tension, but compared to many other Japanese learning communities cough the Learn Japanese subreddit, wanikani is quite positive.

18 Likes

The WaniKani community works best when it’s all positive, friendly people who help each other learn, with no trolls or troublemakers.

The Crabigator demands human sacrifices in exchange for revealing the dark mysteries of the kanji.

一石二鳥

17 Likes

woohoo!

hope you find some good threads to hang out in, like study logs, reading clubs, appreciation threads, interest threads and threads with shared goals!

edit: wait? @wakalabis you do need a good pfp now! don’t worry about getting a perfect one. i change mine all the time…

10 Likes

cough the Learn Japanese subreddit

Yeah that place is quite toxic. When I first joined here, I was so surprised by how nice everyone here was

12 Likes

I am glad that you have found this to be true.
We have been known to devour people who claim that WK is too slow, or that it teaches unused words, however. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yes I noticed… I use a lot of Reddit subs, mostly VR/gaming related, but that Learn Japanese sub is really the most toxic of them all. I can’t quite understand why, with everybody having the same interest.

5 Likes

edit: wait? @wakalabis you do need a good pfp now! don’t worry about getting a perfect one. i change mine all the time…

Done!

hope you find some good threads to hang out in, like study logs, reading clubs, appreciation threads, interest threads and threads with shared goals!

I will surely do!

5 Likes

ou la la, tu aimes la baguette hi hon hi hon?

5 Likes

Oui. I actually love baking bread more than eating it.

6 Likes

looking forward to pics in the baking thread then!

my partner bakes bread. i just score it lol…

5 Likes

No way there’s a baking thread! I was not aware of it. I’ll definitely check it out!

6 Likes

Agreed. Most topics (especially those made by beginners) get downvoted into oblivion (at best) and/or receive highly negative comments. It’s not much of a learning subreddit if beginners fear to ask questions. I never bothered to post anything there after seeing how most people get treated.

9 Likes

bcba1fc94ca965e93fe395540d08a6d3--misunderstood-shark-funny-things

10 Likes

When I first started I tried posting there a couple times but always got removed telling me to read the FAQ, read that page like 4 times by now, it’s not as helpful as they make think.
Though they have a daily thread to ask small questions, that’s the one thing that’s been helpful to me, sometimes I ask a question there.

At least I found WK through the subreddit

6 Likes

Let us build an army and raid r/learnjapanese, with the Crabigator on our side we surely cannot fail

EDIT: hang on…

Maybe we can give them mercy for time being.

EDIT 2: @Lewby さん!? You exist outside the forums!? It just feels so bizarre to see a member of POLLfam in another 日本語 community…

7 Likes

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!!!

5 Likes

I don’t actually use r/LearnJapanese very often, actually, it’s the first time I looked at it in like 6 months and I saw TOFUGU TOFUGU TOFUGU right as it loaded, and my first thought was “Oh hey Koichi” lmao.

I haven’t needed to go to that forum tbh at all, because there are so many resources I can find on the WK forums already such as:

:smiley:

4 Likes

My beef with /r/LearnJapanese is they go through waves of trends and become very Hivemindy about things. Like the beginning of the year is always the “New Years Resolution to Learn Japanese Crowd” vs “AJAT” vs “Everyone Else”

Spring to Summer is the “Battle of the Intermediates” where the people that just started in January duke it out with the Intermediates who have been stuck at Intermediate for a long time

Fall and Winter is the Upper Shitstorm. Where JLPT prepers and people who spent an entire year studying start being upset they aren’t the greatest Japanese Speaker despite their efforts and go into January with the newfound perspective or give up and come back 2 years later to say how they took a break and want to try again.

5 Likes