🎨 This Art Club has a Problem! (BBC) - Week 2

Welcome to Week 2 of the この美術部には問題がある! :art: This Art Club has a Problem! Book Club!

Beginner Book Club
Home Thread

d5b83060-629c-4423-84b1-f2f88b875a30

Week 2 December 9th 2023
Start Page 18
End Page 32
Chapters Chapter 1, second half
Pages 14
Previous week week 1
Next week week 3
Home Thread Here

We read the second half of chapter 1 this week.

Vocabulary

この美術部には問題がある Volume 1 Vocabulary Sheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.
  • Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example: Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

Will you be reading with us?
  • I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay up to date with the discussion!

10 Likes

Some grammar points from this week’s reading:

p.18:

p.19:

p.23:

15 Likes

N2 grammar :sob:

3 Likes

Don’t be discouraged, そういえば is just an expression. It is vocabulary, not a complex grammar point.

5 Likes

Yeah, a good portion of N2 and N1 “grammar” is really just words. I find it hard to understand why they are classified as grammar to begin with.

8 Likes

There isn’t actually anything making N2 or N1 even more difficult than N5, it’s just a frequency thing. And as @seanblue said already, I don’t think there are a ton of actual grammar structures in Japanese, it’s just that a lot of them get used in set phrase-esque phrases. Like this one, “そういえば” is just そう + 言う + ば = if we’re talking (about this) = speaking of…

10 Likes

Well, definitely a bit of an … ecchi turn in content if not necessarily visuals after Kiyo, I’ll say that much.

4 Likes

Some months ago, the whole series was on sale for a very low price. I had seen an episode of the anime, and it seemed like a series I’d like, so I bought the whole series. (It was a really low price overall.)

Got to reading volume one and discovered there’s content in there that would have saved me money if I had known about it.

Since I have the whole series, I’m going to try and sunk-cost it (read it since I paid for it) and hope that sort of artwork doesn’t keep appearing as a recurring theme throughout.

But otherwise, the series seems fine enough for a “read a little every week” manga for me.

6 Likes

It’s more of just that it’s like a hard right turn lmao. I definitely read ecchi-sketchy stuff, but yeah.

At least this is a damn sight easier than Kiyo to read lol

4 Likes

This week was easier, but did it have to go there :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Week 3 is live, come and see if this manga talks about something else than young girls’ panties!

8 Likes

Really didn’t like this half of the chapter :grimacing: :upside_down_face: Both the contents and the grammar- it was hard for me to work out exactly what people were saying so I was reading along with help and my helper didn’t like the book at all. So next week I’m going to try and tough it out without them, and do my best to work out things from context.

5 Likes

Wait, そういえば is N2? Feels like I see that one everywhere.

4 Likes

N levels aren’t really rated by frequency, to be fair.

3 Likes

Saaaame. There was a nice bit at the end when Uchimaki realizes that he’s upset Usami and he draws a proper picture of her but that doesn’t make up for the really cringy stuff that came before.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s like, I remember being that age and being cringy and pervy, overflowing with teenage hormones; but I’m 34 now so it’s a bit icky to read about it