The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!

The first post is a wiki, if you press the orange pen button, you can add it to the list if you want to :wink:

2 Likes

You have to be a member to edit a wiki :eyes:

4 Likes

Ah crapperoni good point.

Do you mean this one, @Andyglue?

I have seen many people play Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, or even Professor Layton in Japanese. I’m currently playing Ni no Kuni in Japanese, which is also pretty effective.

1 Like

Not anymore :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh! I forgot about that. I did actually see that conversation :sweat:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the George I mean. He has a series of about 90 videos on youtube. And also another series of 5 minute long vids where he explains grammar.

2 Likes

Hi.

Does anyone uses books for speaking practice / Shadowing?
I’m using the 1st book of the series「Let’s speak Japanese! - 日本語を話そう!」and I really like it. It’s Beginner to Intermediate.
I’m not sure, which JLPT level is needed, it has a table with the old JLPT levels N4-N2, so maybe N5-N3(ish) - just in case it’s relevant for you.

I’m not used to the 2nd book, but I think it’s similar to the first one, except that the level is higher (Intermediate to Advanced).

While searching for the links I also found a 3rd book which is for interview dialogues for work, universitiy and part-time job. I don’t own this book, but I think it sounds pretty interesting.

All of the books come with CDs. You’ll listen to short dialogues and practice speaking right after the audio.
On the right page are the English, Chinese and Korean translations, in case you need one. There are also versions with Indonesian, Thai and Vietnamese translations, they just have other colours.

These would fit well in the Speaking and Listening sections. Both the Speaking section and the Listening section could be combined and a Shadowing subsection could be added for resources like these.

I actually use this ones in the Japanese school I’m studing. They are a good resource for entonation and have a few other usefull expressions here and there. I wish in y school we use them in a different way. We are only repeatign the sentences and thats it. This book is very usefull if you draw you own pitch accent lines in the sentences.

Do you know what happened to Kanji Cafe / Ice Mocha from Jim Rose ?

Changes December 2020, January 2021

Added

General

• the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Sing-Along Japanese Songs to the Speaking section
  • Kana Review to Kana section to replace Usagi-chan’s Hiragana Drag’n’Drop exercise
  • Kodansha’s Hiragana and Katakana Workbooks to Kana > Physical workbooks section
  • Tools subsection to General practice section
    • Katsu conjugation tool per @ nataliefleming’s recommendation
    • 鰐活用 WaniConjugation per @ Ashikaga’s recommendation
    • Moved Steven Kraft’s Japanese Projects resource here
  • @jerred added Onomappu to Listening > YouTube section
  • @MashusuJooji added Simple Writing Practice Sheets to Writing > Physical section
  • ichi.moe to General practice and tests > Tools section
  • Benjiro - Beginner Japanese’s Japanese Convesations to Listening > YouTube section
  • Added Apps subsection to Software section and moved the three app platform categories there
  • Spaced repetition systems subsection to Software section
    • Anki, Kitsun io, and Memrise there
    • Moved Mochi there

Kanji

• Kanji in Context to Physical section
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learner’s Course to Physical section

Textbooks and grammar section

• @sergiop added Human Japanese (moved to Paid online section)
  • @x3uu added Kanshudo (moved to Online section)
  • Intermediate and advanced subsection per @ Jonapedia’s recommendation
    • An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese
    • QUARTET: Intermediate Japanese Across the Four Language Skills
    • 上級日本語教科書 文化へのまなざし―テキスト
    • 中・上級日本語教科書 日本への招待 テキスト
    • Authentic Japanese: Progressing from Intermediate to Advanced
  • YouTube subsection to Textbooks and Grammar > Online section
    • Moved Japanese Ammo with Misa’s Grammar Lessons for Absolute Beginners here
    • Organic Japanese with Cure Dolly’s Japanese from Scratch series
    • ToKini Andy’s GENKI Grammar Made Clear
    • TalkInJapan’s JLPT List 日本語能力試験対策
    • Miku Real Japanese’s Grammar Videos
  • Maggie Sensei to References section
  • 毎日のんびり日本語教師 to References section

Online dictionaries section

• Niai dictionary to Alternate dictionaries
  • Lorenzi’s Jisho to Japanese–English (和英)
  • goo辞書 全国方言辞典 to Alternate dictionaries
  • NINJAL’s Verb Handbook to Alternate dictionaries section

Reading section

Speaking section

• Shadowing subsection
    • Japanese Graded Readers to Physical section
    • Moved Sing-Along Japanese Songs to Online section
    • Tofugu’s pronunciation guide to Speaking > Online
    • にほんごたどく Tadoku to Online section

Updated

General

• Reformatted the Online dictionaries section per @Jonapedia’s suggestion
    • Japanese-English (和英)
    • National (国語)
    • English–Japanese and Japanese–English (英和・和英)
  • Renamed Reading > Blogs and Sites to Readers
  • Renamed General practice section to General practice and tests and merged Tests section into General practice section
  • Updated link for Alan R. Miller’s Japanese Language Reference in Resource portals and learning networks section
  • Updated formatting of Pomax’s An Introduction to Japanese

Removed

• Old / outdated links in Software > Japanese learning games section
  • @ Kumirei removed Internet Archive links for Dictionary of Japanese Grammar resources
  • Removed Internet Archive reference from the description
  • Usagi-chan’s Kana Drag’n’Drop from Kana section as the resource is deprecated with the deprecation of Flash
  • Reading > Places to buy subsection as the resources listed are covered in more detail in the WaniKani Community guide Resources for Starting to Read Japanese Content
  • HiNative from General practice section as it’s listed elsewhere

Moved

• sci.lang.japan to Resource portals and learning networks section
  • Human Japanese from Software section to Textbooks and Grammar > Online subsection
  • 4Gamer to Reading > News section
  • Duolingo and Torii SRS to General Practice section
  • Tobira: Gateway to Advanced Japanese to Textbooks and grammar > Intermediate and advanced section
  • WaiWaiNihongo to General practice and tests > Tools section
  • 助数詞を練習 Jyosuushi to General pratice and tests > Tools section
  • Ultra Handy Japanese Verb Conjugator and NINJAL’s Japanese Grammar Point Bank and Handbook fo Basic Japanese Verbs to General practice and tests > Tools section
  • Japanese the Manga Way to Physical textbooks section and updated link to publisher’s website
  • JapanesePod101 to Textbooks and grammar > Paid online section

Notes

• Considered adding 物書堂 Monokakido Dictionaries but was unsure of proper categorisation.
  • Unsure about adding more channels to the Textbooks and grammar > YouTube section. Cure Dolly and Japanese Ammo with Misa are easily the most recommended channels, so I thought many people would be looking for them and it was important they were included somewhere in the nebulous Textbooks and grammar section.
14 Likes

Thank you for your work on this list

3 Likes

Many thanks for updating the wiki!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for you work. It seems this link ひいきびいき is dead.

1 Like

I have have a torrent with the audio files if anyone wants them, but perhaps that doesn’t belong on the list

1 Like

Holy hell this has expanded since I was last active around here! Great resource!

4 Likes

We have carried the torch

5 Likes

Is Shiawase still around?

2 Likes

It’s been a couple of years since I last saw them ANIME%20NITRO%20EMOTE%20SERVER-1

3 Likes

I’d say since one of the co-host hosts encouraged backups here, it should be fine. I’ll add a link to your torrent, if you don’t object.

2 Likes