The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

That’s basically what we do at work to avoid the “next tuesday” problem.

Although it doesn’t fix the other problem with the dateline so it’s always “‘my Tuesday or your Tuesday?” :joy:

2 Likes

It’s possible that I misremembered. アルコール分 seems equally (if not more) likely, and is even the first IME suggestion on my phone. As for what I was drinking… probably some beer. I can’t remember what sort though.

EDIT: Yeah, ok, アルコール分 seems more common on cans. (I’d need a few physical cans to confirm it though, because I quite clearly remember the percentage being somewhere in the details on the back, whereas most of the photos online show the front of the can with ‘Alc.’ and the percentage. What was I drinking? Hm…) Maybe I mixed it up with alcohol percentage labelling elsewhere in the world, like in France, where “degré”=‘degree’ is a possibility. アルコール度数 seems fairly common online in discussions of alcohol percentages though.

1 Like

That might work if it’s Wednesday, but what if it’s Friday? I think saying “this Tuesday” or “next Tuesday” would be much more ambiguous in that case. In situations like that, if I want to talk about next week’s Tuesday without using a date I’d say “this coming Tuesday”.

1 Like

Yeah, the comment I replied to specified that the theoretical day was Wednesday. If it were later in the week, I’d probably add coming like you or ask for clarification if someone else is talking.

1 Like

Hi, need help understanding the “ほど” and “おしろ” part in the below context sentence. I understand from Jisho that “しろ” means castle. But “おしろ” doesn’t give me any meaning that fits the context here.

そのは、じられないほどしいおしろをてました

信じられないほど = something like “(beautiful) to the extent that it can’t be believed”. Which is to say, unbelievably beautiful.

おしろ is, as you observed, 城, but with a formalising prefix on the front.

7 Likes

I know a lot of people would give you better answers, but I will give it a try for my own sake of learning. So if I’m wrong I’m so sorry.

ほど is an expression to show something in an incredible amount. 信じられないほど it emphasis 信じられない here. It’s unbeliveable but to the extreme (if that make sense)

おしろ just means castle here.

2 Likes

Theoretically, when I’m practicing reading. Which one is the better method, between listening first then read the sentence or reading first then listening? :thinking:

Depends which you want to prioritize, since the other one will give you some clues for the other. If you want to do both, I’d probably listen first, because it’s likely going to be harder. If you’ve already broken the sentence down when reading, I feel like the listening won’t be as active as there is nothing left to “process”.

3 Likes

That’s true. Oftenly, when I read first then listening the only things left to do are listening to pronunciation and pitch accent.

1 Like

What does 様 mean when in front of a noun?

I think here it’s just a cheeky way of saying they liked the shape of the butt!

Specifically I think a neologism/pun on words like 様子, 様式, maybe going for ようしり, which you can imagine maybe as perhaps meaning like “style/manner/form, but about butts”

I don’t think it’s a grammar rule to extrapolate anywhere else.

(and googling around I only found that combination with the original source, really, so that’s why I think joke neologism and not a slang term; I could also maybe believe a pun on something to do with the name of the character whose butt the person was photographing, but alas I did not recognize the butt)

I probably wouldn’t try to extrapolate any general grammar from twitter, to be honest. I think that’s one site where if you see something phrased strangely, dollars to donuts it’s the speaker’s weird casual writing style, not a grammar point you didn’t know.
(but I might be completely wrong and someone will jump in with something that makes way more sense, of course!)

1 Like

Ahh, I see

I’m not sure if I feel more or less embarrassed by this :skull: :joy:

That character, Dio, is pretty frequently called DIO様 so that would make sense

1 Like

Ah yeah honestly it’s probably just that then - さましり, Lord (Dio)'s ass

A useful vocabulary word. They should probably put it in Wanikani!

3 Likes

The way it’s written then makes it a proper noun/固有名詞 too doesn’t it? :joy: I might have to start using it.

If I want to say I’m already used to something, would it be 慣れた or 慣れている?

慣れている, I think, especially if you want to emphasis that you’re still used to it right now and that fact impacts how you act now. 慣れた would be more helpful for stuff like recounting a past event (e.g. ‘I got used to interacting with my new colleagues after a little bonding trip last December’). If you wanted to show that it took some time, and that you’re now used to something that you weren’t in the past, or that you’re more used to it now at any rate, I think 慣れてきた is another possibility.

3 Likes

Just completing @Jonapedia’s reply a bit:

When you say 慣れた you are focusing on the process of becoming used to something. So if you just moved to Japan two months ago, people might ask you 「日本の生活どう?もう慣れた?」
When you say 慣れている you are focusing on the state of (already) being used to something. So if someone asks you to perform a presentation at school and you rock it (as in good speech, looking to the audience, etc) they might praise you with 「めっちゃ慣れているね!すごい」

2 Likes

I was wondering if anyone had advice on referring to nonbinary people in Japanese? I’m working through the Genki workbook and I don’t really know how to answer questions about having brothers or sisters, since my sibling is neither. Can I use 同生? Jisho says it means sibling, but I get the impression it isn’t normally used that way?

There was a question about that a while ago, maybe the answers already help you?

2 Likes