The one weird trick Koichi DOESN'T want you to know 👀

I did it! Level 60!!! I finished level 60 maybe a couple weeks ago, for a total time of about 23 months (and no days off!)

Praise for WaniKani

Good lord what a tool and what a way to start. Not to claim that WaniKani invented mnemonics or srs, but having everything in a neat, accessible package and, most importantly, ordering them by stroke complexity rather than usefulness, was invaluable to me. Had I started with anything else I may have very well turned into a 三日坊主, you know, one of those guys who’s been “studying on and off for 7 years”. It could happen to you, do your reviews!

Even after finishing, I still use the stratagem of making mnemonics for radicals and the reading, and taking the time to learn the kanji alone before the word I found it in. But back to the actual website, the fine selection breaks down a bit toward the end, when non-jouyou kanji are included that have really useless vocab attached to them (looking at you, legal terms), but for the most part, being able to read the majority of kanji I see is so invaluable.

Schmaltz

Really, this website kicked my ass into shape. It sounds silly, but having to wake up at the same time everyday to prevent reviews from piling up alone really changed me. This website and where it led me is something I will always be grateful for. I used to hate the impending doom of having 70+ lessons upon leveling up, but I almost wish I could go back and learn 耐 or something for the first time again.

When I started, I didn’t know if I could make it to the end, as I had never done anything before that required so much consistent, daily effort over a period of several months. Of course, I now know 2000+ kanji, but probably even more important is that I’ve learned I can do pretty much anything if I just show up and do it every day.

Complaints

My biggest complaint is the dearth of radicals, and instead relying on a small set of existing, simple radicals. As an example, 痢 is taught as three separate radicals, instead of just 利 with the sick radical on top. It’s probably impossible to restructure the whole website at this point (although the devs sure are trying, more on that in a sec), so for now I highly recommend users keep an eye out for the larger “radicals” hidden in certain kanji to reinforce your previous knowledge and just to make your mnemonic simpler.

And good lord, what the hell were they thinking with that update. Removing summaries? Have you lost your goddamn mind? Were it not for the summary script that came out a week later, I would’ve dropped the website at lvl 58. Nobody knows why they did this, especially since there was already a way to disable it if you so pleased. However, let us part on good terms. I’ll forgive this transgression for the rest of this post.

Data

Wk decided to disable part of its api since that terrible aforementioned update (whoops mentioned it again), so the stats aren’t as complete as I want, but whatever.

(I feel like this is a lowball but hey)

👀

Break your reviews up! Waking up to 100+ reviews is scary, and if you have the energy then just power through, but one thing I figured out in the late 50’s is that just dividing your reviews into smaller parts makes everything so much easier. If you have 100 reviews, do 25 at a time, and when you reach that 25 mark, switch to something else Japanese related.

Don’t just screw around on your phone or something, keep doing Japanese. This can be Anki, or any of the recommended resources I’ll mention later in the post, or reading native material, but just do something to get away from the wk interface. I don’t know why it works, but since discovering this it’s made everything flash-card related so much more fun and, more importantly, efficient. I do 50 anki cards every 15 minutes until I’m done for the day, and making the switch to that from trying to tackle 450 reviews + 60 unlearned cards first thing in the morning has increased my efficiency by like 15%~.

Recommended resources

bunpro.jp - acclaimed for a reason. Incredible grammar resource that I highly recommend
torii-srs.com - srs website for jlpt vocab with an option to filter out wk items
READ THIS and act accordingly
kakimashou.com - amazing resource for seeing accurate radicals of kanji, invaluable to any learner

And so it's over

And so it’s over… With wanikani I’ve been able to replay some of my favorite games in japanese (ff, dq, smt) and read both familiar and unfamiliar manga as it was originally written.

But! Heed me well! You will always be a beginner, as will I. The more you learn, the more you will come to understand the ocean of knowledge you tread in. It never, ever ends, and if you think you’re getting close to being “done”, whatever you’re playing or reading in Japanese right now is was too easy for you. Take this ignorance and fall in love with it. However much of this post you read, thank you for humoring a fool and his fancies, and I hope some part of this will aid you on your journey, or rather, your new life.

I don’t know how much longer I’ll continue WaniKani, I’ve considered cancelling for some time, but it’s hard to bring myself to do it. You get to a point where any flash cards that haven’t been seen firsthand in native material begin to feel useless, and yet, saying goodbye is so hard. Doing something this much everyday for 2 years gets a fellow attached, you see.

I’ve prattled enough. This dragon quest bestiary isn’t going to read itself, and neither is my copy of purple haze feedback. You are capable of anything you desire enough, so don’t forget why you started just because the ocean is getting deeper. The future of mankind is bright.

91 Likes

Congratulations! Time for cake

6 Likes

Congratulations on reaching 60! That’s awesome. I hope you are proud and celebrating every time you made the effort to continue making progress!

When I started, I didn’t know if I could make it to the end, as I had never done anything before that required so much consistent, daily effort over a period of several months. Of course, I now know 2000+ kanji, but probably even more important is that I’ve learned I can do pretty much anything if I just show up and do it every day.

This is a great reminder to everyone.

But! Heed me well! You will always be a beginner, as will I. The more you learn, the more you will come to understand the ocean of knowledge you tread in. It never, ever ends, and if you think you’re getting close to being “done”, whatever you’re playing or reading in Japanese right now is was too easy for you. Take this ignorance and fall in love with it. However much of this post you read, thank you for humoring a fool and his fancies, and I hope some part of this will aid you on your journey, or rather, your new life.

A lot of wisdom coming through in this post. :slight_smile:

I’m super happy for you! One day I’ll join the ranks of level 60s. Enjoy your accomplishment, and revel in the power of your knowledge!

p.s.
Cake:
3Is7

p.p.s. Great resources as well, thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

So is the “one weird trick” to break up the reviews???

6 Likes

おめでとうございます! not just for finishing WK but for the important life lessons you learnt along the way!! Big stuff!!

Are there any other ways that WK influenced the way you approach Japanese learning as a whole?

4 Likes

Yes! Forgive me if it did not meet expectations, or was existing knowledge.

3 Likes

Congrats! and thanks for thanks for this interesting word. New one for me.

I really miss having the stats. Your daily accuracy is cut off like mine. I used that so much and not just for fine tuning WK. Since I do WK everyday, I can use to see what various daily choices do to my accuracy. Not enough sleep, bad food, too many beverages.

Deleting features is crazy like you say! I guess this is the best the devs can do. They don’t want to hire a dev that can keep these features working. It’s too bad. I get the feeling there are a handful of users that are skilled enough to fix these programming issues in a day or two.

6 Likes

Haha I like your style and your humor! Congrats and have fun for the rest of your journey!!
And thanks for posting some resources, looking forward to check them out, but for now looks like WK users (?) broke it :eyes:

6 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Wow. Wow

1 Like

I saw this, but upon reloading this page once it took me right to the desired location, try that!

1 Like

Yes! Wanikani’s willingness to discard existing kanji names and radicals for more practical purposes is something I’ve taken after myself, allow me to give an example. 薔薇 means rose, but if you look at these kanji individually 薔 means “water pepper” and 薇 means “edible fern”. However, these kanji are only used in the word 薔薇, or larger words that involve roses, like 薔薇色. So when I made flashcards for these two kanji, I listed them both as simply “rose”. There are plenty of examples of kanji that mostly only appear in one word, and in these cases, if you make flashcards yourself that is, I would name them appropriate to the words they appear in, rather than their official names in a kanji dictionary.

I think that’s the biggest one, I can’t really think of anything else that I didn’t mention in the post - thanks for the inquiry!

4 Likes

Perhaps to be aware that KANJIDIC2 used in Jisho and most other JE resources isn’t actively updated, in contrast with JMdict.

JJ resources may be a little better (), but in the end, vocabularies are more important, as an actual unit of comprehension in sentences.

Digging deep into Kanji may not have that much meaning, or at least not immediately important.

1 Like

Congratulations!! I see you are a person of culture with that Ness avatar, maybe you could play Mother 3 in japanese if you haven’t already =P

1 Like

3 is actually my least favorite of the trilogy lol
I would love to replay all of them in Japanese though once I get a crt

2 Likes

haha that’s fair, I was only saying since that’s the one that never got officially localized to english =P

2 Likes

Congratulations! It’s wonderful to read you completed the 60 levels, but even more so, is the fact that your life improved with the things you learned along the way! Again, felicitations to you.

Thank you for the resources and tips!
Also, I love your way of expressing yourself and your embellishing of words and phrases. In fact, I learned a few English words thanks to you!

I wish you a wonderful life.

3 Likes

I dare say that is my line!

4 Likes

Amazing! Must be such a great feeling to have made it all the way to level 60! Thanks for sharing those resources too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations on reaching 60. :clap:

2 Likes