The Fugu That Broke The Camel's Back (Why I'm quitting WaniKani)

I just kinda assumed 力いっぱい was more to teach the いっぱい suffix as well as providing extra review for 力の訓読み considering how often the リョク reading is used in future vocab words

2 Likes

375 posts in, does anyone need concessions? POPCORN HERE! GET YOUR POPCORN! CANDY? ICE COLD COKE, HOTDOGS? $3! $3!

7 Likes

Ironically enough, the concession stand doesn’t sell 河豚?

7 Likes

Are you saying you are going to start a rival stand that does? IN THIS THREAD?

4 Likes

I might be. But due to my inexperience in cooking 河豚, you have nothing to worry about. Soon all my clients will die and their families will sue me in court.

6 Likes

Meanwhile, back on the memes thread:

If you look at the source, the OP of the second image entitled their image “iquit”

9 Likes

And the OP of the first image entitled their image “jOHseNuMm8GRl5OXSDd04w1bJeD.jpeg”. Coincidence?

7 Likes

If you encode jOHseNuMm8GRl5OXSDd04w1bJeD in base-64 into USC-2, the first characters are AGoAT. Coincidence?

See https://www.base64encode.org/ for proof :wink:

6 Likes

We’ve found the GOAT of WK memes then?

(Seriously though, how is this thread still active? HAHAHAHA :rofl:)

7 Likes

I’ve read English language books about Japanese-Canadians and -Americans that used ‘nissei’ and ‘sansei’ to inform how many generations a person was removed from their immigrant forebears.

8 Likes

(I’ve just this moment noticed that you’ve changed your username, Your Holiness)

1 Like

To corroborate: American WW2 history also uses Nisei to describe Japanese-Americans serving in the American military. They were the natural-born American children (二世) of Japanese immigrants in the US (一世). My grandfather was one of them, so I guess that makes me 四世.

4 Likes

Well then you have to dream wilder

9 Likes

“淀川”, definitely a long ways for me appears to be a level 50 kanji, but geographic terms can be useful if your in the area. Like if you never going to Osaka, I suppose it’s not very useful. The river runs right through Osaka so if you going to Osaka it does seem mildly useful.

1 Like

Guys, I have made an astonishing discovery

WaniKani teaches you Fugu as 河豚
Yet in this picture, Tofugu is written as 豆鰒

I think that settles this case. Not even Tofugu themselves use this useless kanji combination 河豚.

20 Likes

Also, Hootie & the Blowfish writes their name in Japanese using the kanji 「鯸」, so 「河豚」 is not even used by country rock bands.

5 Likes

Another 河豚 in 一割 (L23), WK is dropping fugu bombs everywhere! :blowfish::bomb::boom::scream:

3 Likes

this is not taught in wanikani. is it a common word I should learn? or is it an even more obscure form of fugu?

Are you talking about they don’t teach you 豆鰒? That’s Tofugu, the name of the company that makes WaniKani. It’s a combination of Tofu and Fugu. The kanji of 豆鰒 is something they invented to represent the name Tofugu. 鰒 itself is a very rare way to write ふぐ, and the onyomi of 豆 is とう.

Granted, they do teach 鰐蟹 within WaniKani, so it wouldn’t be that crazy for them to do that with 豆鰒, but that does seem a bit far to go lol.

4 Likes

But shouldn’t that be read as “Tofufugu”?

2 Likes