The first step is done

After nearly 2 years it is done. Level 60 has been reached and only the last kanjis and vocabulary need to be pushed to the Guru level to consider Wanikani formally done - whatever that means.

Progress was neither fast nor slow, really, just consistent for the most part. Every morning commute, every evening commute I would start up the Flaming Durtles app and do my thing. Sometimes I did a little extra when I had time to spare. I had the goal to always keep about 100 items at Apprentice level and go from there so I wouldn’t get flooded with reviews in the end. I must say that approached worked wonderfully for me.

My accuracy dropped from 95%+ in the beginning to ~70% in the end. With that drop and the items restriction I was not able to realize the theoretical gain of the later “fast levels”. The accuracy drop can mainly be attributed to a lot of similar kanjis and lots of synonyms that my brain was unable to untangle easily. My motivation in part also dropped when I had to pull through the 30-40 range and thus my thoroughness when doing reviews and lessons was less than desirable. In the 50 range my motivation rose again, the goal within reach. Though it got a little tainted when the finishing line was moved a little farer up in the last months due to the newly added items. :slight_smile:

But, I pulled through anyway, always having the goal to obtain reading fluency in Japanese after having spent one year at 東北大学 in 仙台 in 2009/2010 during my studies.

During my kanji review I definitely noticed my previous experience of learning about 500 kanji somewhat and the most common one I could recall very easily. I thought my grammar would be fine for that, but the example sentences taught me I don’t really know a thing. NHK Easy News is exactly that easy, as soon as I switch to the regular news I kinda can work through it. But it is still really hard.

So that is probably the next step on my journey: Revising all the grammar I learn, and all the grammar I didn’t as well. I will allocate my WaniKani time to try out https://bunpro.jp for that. Then obtain some more advanced reading material and get familiar with original content. Maybe I will pursue a JLPT test, but I fear my listening comprehension is far of the mark.

As I don’t want this to only be an experience post but also some kind of discussion I would be interested in your post-Wanikani experience and what option I could have - with limited time - and in a purely for fun way to further pursue language fluency.

In total, I must say it was a very enjoyable ride though with bumps all the way. But if I can pull through without much other exposure to Japanese - to be honest other exposure was nearly nonexistant - so can you.

Thanks for supporting Japanese as a foreign language.

24 Likes

Congratulations! Impressive consistency, too! Good luck with Bunpro and your future studies.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.