The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

That NJPW-themed English-learning book I mentioned came out!

Honestly, it looks like it could double pretty nicely as a NJPW-themed Japanese-learning book too, albeit of course not as well as one targeted directly for that purpose. There’s bilingual vocabulary entries, bilingual wrestler bios, bilingual interviews, etc. It doesn’t seem like there’s much furigana at all but perhaps that’s balanced out by having the English right there. Still, guides to help you understand English commentary aren’t really going to translate to help you understand Japanese commentary…

The highlight though, obviously, is Zack Sabre Jr., wordsmith.
So if you want Japanese explanations for quotes like “I hate you Naito, you are still a dickhead” or “My arms are made of noodles. You can’t break my arms” or “Boris Johnson ruined my G1” or “bollocks” or “Coldplay” then it’s got that for you.

There’s some downloadable audio of conversations, but obviously they’re in English. One of them though is a conversation between an English-learning podcaster and Hiroshi Tanahashi endearingly doing his best (and not doing a bad job). And there’s also a smattering of all-Japanese text pieces and interviews (like I read one about trying to figure out how to translate Kenny Omega calling Tanahashi a “piece of shit” in a friendly way and settling eventially on ポンコツ).

I probably shouldn’t have impulsively pre-ordered it, since it’s safely below my level at this point and I’m not sure that I’ll bother actually reading through it, but I’m impressed overall! And it seems more useful to Japanese-learners than I would necessarily have expected.

1 Like