Tested on readings you haven't been taught

I just sat down to my review session this morning and the kanji for 皮 came up. I was taught in the kanji lesson that it was かわ which is the kun-yomi reading of it. Now however, in the reviews it is asking me for the on-yomi reading (ひ) which I haven’t been taught!

I read that they are changing to teaching only the on-yomi readings for kanji(for the most part), but are we now going to be tested on readings that were never taught?

2 Likes

For the kanji you just learned in the most recent level, for which you haven’t seen the vocab yet, yes, that can happen. It’s a one-level inconvenience it seems.

i learned that kanji in level 04. The answer for the kanji was always かわ and the answer for the vocabulary was always かわ. I am now in level 07.
It looks like that kanji has now been moved to level 05.

I have never been taught the on-yomi for it and I’m now being tested on it

Did you learn 皮肉?

I’m just going through my list. Yes, I have learned 皮肉。
It’s a step removed from the kanji lesson which I associate the answer to.

It’s gonna throw my stats off even more if this keeps happening.

Okay, so you do know the onyomi. Sure, there’s going to be an adjustment to recalling the onyomi when you do the review for that, but for kanji you already covered you should have been taught both readings for most of them.

yeah. I guess I did learn the on-yomi for the vocabulary, not for the kanji.
This will be an adjustment for sure. A frustrating one.

It’s just now throwing everything into question as to whether I learned the on-yomi or kun-yomi readings for the kanji

Well, I mean the onyomi is for the kanji. It’s used in that vocab. It always existed though on the page for 皮. And I’m guessing when the vocab lesson for 皮肉 came up it mentioned that this was the onyomi to go with your previously learned kunyomi, though I suppose they probably changed that now to fit with the order it’s going to presented in going forward.

yeah. I just wish they would’ve just taught all the on-yomi for the kanji from the beginning. I’ve always thought that’s how the kanji were typically taught.
Now it’s just getting confusing.

I’ll adjust of course. I’m just venting right now…

They could’ve avoided this problem by letting us input the Kun’yomi readings we were thought, when necessary, if we chose to stick with the old content. The answer is still correct after all. They already let us input old names for the radicals, so why not do the same for the kanji?

This is my main gripe with all this new content. They didn’t leave much choice for everyone other than relearn new radicals and new readings. Using old mnemonics would be useless, since for the most part, they are looking for the On’yomi reading.

But it’s just a few radicals to relearn, right? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah I have this issue and it is so annoying. Completely throwing me off. especially on the transmit kanji which I have never seen the onyomi reading of even in vocab but i’m now being tested on it out of the blue.

Whilst shifting the goalposts like this is certainly “unfair” if you’re thinking of it in terms of advancing through WaniKani, if you consider it in terms of your overall journey towards Japanese mastery, it’s really just prodding you to grow a little further down that path.

11 Likes

It would have been nice if they had given the option to relearn kanji that were changed as well as radicals, but in the end it’s really not going to affect your WK progress much at all. The only kanji it is a problem for in regards to advancing levels are the ones you JUST learned and are still apprentice. If you’ve already guru’d them and unlocked the kanji, then missing the kanji readings will not hurt your progress one bit. If you haven’t learned them yet then it doesn’t matter whether they were previously kun or on readings. So you might have a few that you just learned, and if you were just going to barely scrape by to the next unlocks it might hold you back for this one level, but after you get those few it will never be a problem again.

2 Likes

They indicated that they are considering this. No guarantee it will happen though.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to be hitting those of us in the 7 - 15 range the hardest, and I don’t think it’s because we have the “most” to relearn, but rather our mindset is about “winning” WaniKani still. It seems like the sempais around here got over that a long time ago.

The word that got me at level 10 was: 投手. I had never seen the on’yomi for 投, and had no mnemonic, so I got it wrong like three times in a row.

On the positive side, I am a baseball fan, and love me some Japanese pitchers, so it’s awesome to get to learn a word that I’m likely to run across in the wild.

3 Likes

Oh, there’s a handful of baseball words that you’ll see on WaniKani eventually.

1 Like

Oh, there’s a handful of baseball words that you’ll see on WaniKani eventually.

How about tennis words? I’ve been going to tennis365.net to test just how much Kanji I can recognize. Would be great to have some of the basics down before, say, Wimbledon in July?

If you take a look at, for example, 唇 - Jisho.org (WK teaches kun’yomi) or 輔 - Jisho.org (WK teaches nanori!) it becomes more evident why WK opted to teach a reading with very substantially greater likelyhood of being encountered in practical text, compared the obscurity of where the on’yomi actually shows up.

Yeah, there is some trouble with that too, but you at least get to see what the reading of a word is when you are learning it, so it’s not as bad as kanji you were in the middle of learning, where it’s asking you for a reading you’ve never even seen before. And really it’s not much different than before when they’d teach a word with a different reading than the one taught with the kanji, only you gotta make up your own mnemonic. I make up my own half the time anyway though, so maybe that’s why it’s not bothering me as much. :woman_shrugging:

For 投手 I remember the とう because it sounds a bit like “toss”, and you’re tossing a ball with your hand. :baseball:

@spool @maxb You might find this interesting.

2 Likes