Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 5

My favourite image in this chapter

And here’s the reason

4 Likes

Ahahah. Gotta love Yakuza. So off the wall, but such a blast.

2 Likes
I have a feeling series could have ended here

It Nishikata went full giga chad and instead of getting embarassed about inderect kiss went full-in with something like “how embarassing, wanna go for the direct instead?”
But Nishikata being Nishikata didn’t and it was Takagi who basically went this route with her fool-proof strategy.

5 Likes

If anyone has crunchyroll, it has the first season. For some reason it says “Season 2”, but it’s actually season 1! Until a friend told me this I was disappointed, and I looked at the episode titles to confirm.

As for a mapping between chapters and episodes, a while back somebody linked to this guide on reddit.

6 Likes

Girls are scary :flushed:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Oh my, you’re all reading so fast! I just joined Summer reading challenge, which prompted me to sit and read two first pages. It’s not much, but it’s more than zero.

Pages 1, 2

空き缶
Empty can
今日も一日散々高木さんにからかわれたなぁ。。。
Today I was severely teased by Takagi san again…
でも明日こそは。。。
But tomorrow, for suire…
西片ー。
Nishikata!
今日は一人?
Are you by yourself today?
途中まで一緒に帰ろーよ。
Let’s go together.
え、でも高木さんチャリじゃん。
Eh? But, Takagi-san, you are on a bicycle.
押すもん。
I’ll push (it along).
そのジュース最近出たやつだようね,美味しい?
This juice, it’s the latest one, right? Is it tasty?

One question on page 2:
途中まで一緒に帰ろーよ。
帰る is godan verb, so imperative form should not be ending in ろ, that’s for ichidan verbs. What’s the conjugation? Suspecting some colloquialism.

6 Likes

The 「帰ろー」 mentioned here is the volitional form of 帰る → 帰ろう, the う sound gets replaced with the ー marker to draw out the お-sound in ろ (like the う does after an お sound).

8 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly it! And I saw it many times, and maybe even studied :woman_facepalming:
Thank you very much!

4 Likes

Just finished, so I can finally go back to read those comments on the last page! This was a real confidence builder since I could actually understand a fair amount. Also I’m becoming more comfortable with not understanding everything 100%. I feel like a lot of times reading in English I still don’t understand everything!

Last page discussion

That’s also how I interpreted it before I read other peoples’ comments. He feels bad that she didn’t ask for anything, which is no doubt something she predicted. Besides, he already has enough of a punishment from feeling bad about losing after he was so confident in his throwing ability.

Thoughts on the "Plot"

Takagi was a bit hard on Nishikata as usual, but I’m feeling like he deserved it this time. He really made fun of her for missing the throw. On the other hand, he finally got under her skin for once, so maybe they’re even?

6 Likes

Read two more pages. I see now that this chapter is heavy on pictures and light on text, which is fine with me.

Pages 3, 4

美味しいよ、一口飲む?
Yes, it’s tasty, wanna sip?
いいの?
Oh, good.
うん。
Umm.
じゃあ遠慮なく。
Well, without reservation; freely; frankly - Direct translation does not work. Maybe: I’ll go then.
あ、別にいいけどこれってさあ。。。
Sure, go ahead. About this…
間接キス。。。だよね。
You know, it will be an indirect kiss…
フフフ。。。!どうだ高木さん!恥ずかしいだろう!?
Hahaha! How’s that Takagi-san! Embarrassing, I guess!?
恥ずかしがれっ!!
You have to feel embarrassed!

ゴクゴクゴク
Gulp, gulp, gulp
な なんだと。。。!?
Wh-what!?
まったく恥ずかしいがらない!?
Not even a little bit embarrassed!?
どうなってんのこの人!!?
What kind of person is this!!?
ほい、ありがとう美味しいね。
Yes, thanks, it was delicious.
飲まないの西片?
Not drinking, Nishikata?

Question about this phrase on page 4:
どうなってんのこの人!!?
Attempt to break up in pieces
どう how
なる (to become) in te-form
ん for emphasis
の nominalizer
この人 this person

And the result is: “How this person become like this / what’s going with this person / what with this person”.

6 Likes

You’ve got it. I read it more on the lines of “What is going on with this person?” , but the same gist, regardless. :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh, hey, I should have read your full post before responding to it. I just read the question on the breakdown because I was just leaving work. :sweat_smile:

I have a couple of minor corrections for you on Pg. 3.

Pg. 3

「いいの?」generally means “Is it okay?” Or “Are you sure?” or something along those lines, especially if it has a question mark as opposed to “oh, good”, which is why the next line 「うん」would be a casual yes, as opposed to “umm”.

I agree with the “I will go ahead then,” translation you have. That’s how I interpreted it, also.

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks for corrections!

3 Likes
Pages 5-8, skipping onomatopoeia

くそ。。。ここで少しでも恥ずかしがったらたかぎさんの思うつぼだ。。。
Damn… now it is a bit embarrassing, just as expected from Takagi-san…
いや。。。のむよ?ぜんぜん。。。
No… I’ll drink. Why not…
なんでもない。。。こんなのなんでもないさ。。。
It’s nothing… this is nothing!
間接キスだね。
It’s an indirect kiss, right?
あぁっ!!
Aaah!
あはは 何してんの。
Hahaha, what are you doing?

くそっ。
Shit.
わぁ
Wow.

へぇ、よく入ったね西片。
Eh, nicely done Nishikata.// Lit. Nicely went in.
つい投げちゃったけど。。。
However, it went in by accident.
まさか入るなんて。
To think that it will go in, really…

オレに。。。こんな才能があったなんて。
To think that I had such a talent.
よーし私もやってみよー。
Okay, I’'l do it too, just see.
はっはっはー どこねらってんの。
Hahaha, where do you aim!
ぜんっぜん届いてないよ高木さん!!!
It absolutely did not reach, Takagi-san!

Questions.

1. To translate なんて at the end of sentences, I used “to think that” (​expresses …astonishment). Is it proper choice? Examples:
    まさか入るなんて。
    オレに。。。こんな才能があったなんて。

2. What’s み is doing here:
    よーし私もやってみよー。
    Is it te-form of やる plus root of 見る, so “I’ll do and I see”, but also it could be “I’ll do and you see”, which is more suitable here from context.

Anyway, I’ managed half a chapter this time, the rest of story I’ll get from pictures and anime. See you all at Chapter 6!

6 Likes
  1. That is a serviceable translation. なんて is used to emphasize what comes before it, and expresses surprise, whether positive or negative.

This page explains it fairly well:
https://maggiesensei.com/2013/09/02/how-to-use-なんてnante/

1. やってみよう is, I think, related to the てみる grammar point, which essentially means to give something a try. 「やってみる」would thus be, “try to do”, and since it’s in volitional form, I would translate that sentence as, “Alright, I’ll try and do it too.”

More on てみる here, if you are interested. My explanations aren’t the greatest at times :sweat_smile: :

https://maggiesensei.com/2014/05/12/how-to-use-〜てみる -te-miru /

8 Likes

Thanks for the grammar points links (my grammar is very lacking). This なんて is one monster to translate nicely. Even if you get the gist of meaning, there are just so many nuances.

3 Likes

No problem! My own grammar is pretty lacking, and there are definitely a few grammar points I have given up on coming up with a clean translation for altogether because of their complexity, just accepting that I’ll eventually (hopefully, maybe someday) just “get it,” so to speak. My overall goal is to be able to just inherently read Japanese as Japanese and not have to rely on English, after all.

That is to say, I totally get what you mean about なんて being a monster… という and I are in that same kind of boat of, “Hm. I think I get it,” only to realise that sometimes…nope. sure don’t! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

第6かのために単語リストを終えましたところ!
どうぞ

Edit… Meant For the next chapter

6 Likes

ありがとうございます!

3 Likes

Hi friends, I felt pretty good about this chapter, I think I got all the gist of it but still there are some grammatical structures that I would like to understand better (and surprise surprise, half of them are on Page 16 :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Page 2

押(お)すもん

I get that this is the verb 押(お)す (to push) and perhaps もん is short for もの (thing), so literally it would translate to “Thing that pushes”?

I guess don’t understand how one would use this sentence to mean “That’s ok I’ll get off the bike and push it” like I believe it is what 高木(たかぎ)さん intended here.

Page 11

ほらほらさっさ投(な)げなよ、外(はず)したら私(わたし)の勝(か)ちだからね。

Why is the verb 投(な)げる (to throw) being used as its ます stem here? This ます stem thing has appeared a couple of times already and I’m having a hard time understanding the usage of it.

Page 16

ま、別にいいや何(なに)もしなくても。

I think this was the one that gave me the most trouble in this chapter in terms of grammar.

First of all, what is that や being used after the 別(べつ)にいい (I don’t care)? Is it just the sentence ending や particle instead of the most commonly used よ (for 別(べつ)にいいよ)?

And the second part, the question is twofold: (1) 何(なに)も (nothing) しなくて (to not do), wouldn’t result in a double negative “to not do nothing”, instead of (what I think it’s the correct interpretation) “to not do anything”? And (2) what is that も at the end? I tried searching for Vte + も but to no avail.

Page 16

And last but not least…

なんか一生(いっしょう)勝(か)てなくなるがするから

I found the grammar point なくなる on A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar to mean that “something has reached the point where some state or action does not take place any more”, which makes sense here, but it doesn’t list the て form of the verb as a possible construct; so why is it being used here?

3 Likes