"Takusan" in Kanji

I don’t think I have seen this one. Otherwise, everything here should be possible without Furigana.

I am not sure about the reading of (いき)()く, but mileage may vary. I regularly run into text without Furigana, and I am not sure of the reading as well (and it’s also where I am sure that natives will easily know which).

My thought on (いき)()く is that, when you have seen the phrase having Furigana or being read, you got biased. Also, do you even trust Jisho / JMdict?

1 Like

What is this magical resource. I’ve been wanting something like this in my life for ages and had no idea it was already in existence. Thanks for linking Nilla, you have my eternal Tomato gratitude

5 Likes

I’m not super sure what you mean by a lot of that but 瓦斯 is the kanji version of ガス. It’s written like that because In Praise of Shadows or 陰翳礼讃(いんえいらいさん)was published in 1933

いきをつく is what we have come to think is the more common reading, I think.

I think? I mean if it’s that way on Jisho and my IME accepts it then I wouldn’t question it really. If I get confused I’ll go on google like “息をつく はく” “息を吐く 読み方” (or whatever I’m confused about) and then read articles on it

2 Likes

The confusion, iirc, was from the fact that 溜息を吐く is つく whereas the breathing form of 息を吐く is はく rather than つく. If you say 息を吐く (つく) its more like a pause or break in something usually. Technically it can be to breathe too, but usually they don’t write it in kanji for those cases so its not really relevant here.

Point is, japanese people know how to read 吐く depending on the context because of their language ability, whereas learners might get tripped up on it. Thus no furi and learners make a false assumption.

Immerse more, really. Particularly listening and audiobooks will sort it out exceptionally fast. As far as readings go, you’re bound to come across furi eventually. Besides, natives mess up readings all the time if I’m being honest with you. Are you looking up words when you first come across them, though? I would, even if you think you know the reading.

The tough one that most people probably don’t realize is when furigana teaches you the “wrong” reading. A lot of words in japanese have 2+ readings, and in almost all cases there is a primary reading. Consequently, the non primary reading may never have furi, but the other readings might get furi. So you might only ever see a word with so-and-so furi once every 3 encounters and assume thats the reading for the word, when in reality the other 2 encounters are supposed to use a different reading. This happened to me awhile back because the very first series I read had 金色 as こんじき, so I just thought thats how its read. And I mean, it is こんじき, but its also きんいろ and most people would read it as the latter unless prompted otherwise by furi, but I always read it as こんじき until realizing that.

No

瓦斯 isn’t particularly rare nowadays either if you’re in japan. If you look out for it, you’ll see it in company names and stuff plenty. Last time I saw it was probably a few days ago.

5 Likes

Ooh. I guess it’s just one of those things

Reminds me of that time one of my friends who doesn’t speak English natively asked me how we decided between “-ical” and “-ic” and I didn’t have any answer as to why exactly I always knew which one is “more right” for the situation

It’s funny how often I ask a question and the answer is just “immersion.” I guess cause being more exposed to a thing really does make you more used to it’s patterns and stuff

Audiobooks! Man I forget those are a thing. I use the built-in reader on my phone sometimes but ngl it’s not that good at reading things

I guess that kind of makes sense. Prolly kinda like how I still mess up there/they’re/their when not paying attention or forget how to spell everything and don’t know where to put my commas without looking it up. Plus explains why like kanji drill books always seem to pay special attention to unusual readings (even if they’re common like 息子)

I do when I’m in the mood to learn stuff, but on a weirdly frequent basis I find myself convinced I know something when I really haven’t looked it up before or have like misread the dictionary entry

Bro this part was legit super enlightening though

Oh! The insight you get from being somewhere the language is used is pretty cool

2 Likes

lol I definitely have but I keep reading it incorrectly then being like AH heck, that was さすが!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.